2001 Corolla - Help, Car Won't Start :(

Hi...! I have a 2001 Corolla S... And it's been giving me problems starting... It'll start then it won't. Now it seems it won't start again. It was low on oil and now I've filled it up and still won't start. The funny thing is when I insert the key and turn the the engine nothing happens it doesn't choke or kind of want to start... Nothing happens... I took the spark plugs out and they smelled a little bit like gas (prob because I gave it gas a few times when trying to start it?) and one spark plug had oil...? Any one ever encounter this and know what the problem is?

Also the battery is fine it's charged and good to go all the dials light up when I insert the key and turn it over and stay lit they don't cut off... I took the car (about a year ago) to a guy that said would give it a tune up not sure how trustworthy he might of been but maybe he didn't change the spark plugs and they're no good? But in either case wouldn't the car try and start with old spark plugs? The car won't even try I turn the key and nothing happens no sounds no clicking... I just took the spark plugs out an they're a bit charred at the tips so I'm going to clean them and see where that takes me... All help appreciated! Thanks

So I cleaned the spark plugs and re-installed them... Same result car won't start... I also tried boosting it with another car and still same results car won't start... Any ideas? Help needed.

Starter

How do I bump the starter? And where is it located?
From under the car (bottom access):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkEsRnVmukM
From under the hood(top access):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAnx8yL5vOo <-at minute 16:02+ you will see the lug on the solenoid that you jump to the +battery connection on the starter for a second (you will get a spark). Naturally you are doing this with the car in "Park" or if a standard transmission the car in "Neutral" and the parking brake on. The key must also must be in the "On" position inside the car. You don't need to remove the starter from car for this test you just need to get to the 2 lugs to jump together. Also the device you use to jump those 2 two lugs together it's nice to be holding an insulated part of the jumping device whether it be a stripped piece of insulated wire, a screw driver or pair of pliers.
Once you've sparked it try and start the car. Try it a few times if it doesn't work the first time. That's how you bump a starter.
Safety First! and Good Luck!

Last edited:
From under the car (bottom access):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkEsRnVmukM
From under the hood(top access):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAnx8yL5vOo <-at minute 16:02+ you will see the lug on the solenoid that you jump to the +battery connection on the starter for a second (you will get a spark). Naturally you are doing this with the car in "Park" or if a standard transmission the car in "Neutral" and the parking brake on. The key must also must be in the "On" position inside the car. You don't need to remove the starter from car for this test you just need to get to the 2 lugs to jump together. Also the device you use to jump those 2 two lugs together it's nice to be holding an insulated part of the jumping device whether it be a stripped piece of insulated wire, a screw driver or pair of pliers.
Once you've sparked it try and start the car. Try it a few times if it doesn't work the first time. That's how you bump a starter.
Safety First! and Good Luck!
Thank you for the info... Helped out greatly. So I took the starter out and just had them test it at an auto parts store.(oreillys) The starter engaged just fine... It would pop out and spin... So not sure what the issue might be now? Ceased engine perhaps? (Hopefully not) any help appreciated.

Thank you for the info... Helped out greatly. So I took the starter out and just had them test it at an auto parts store.(oreillys) The starter engaged just fine... It would pop out and spin... So not sure what the issue might be now? Ceased engine perhaps? (Hopefully not) any help appreciated.
Did you put the starter back on the car and try and start it?
Sometimes a starter/solenoid will not activate and needs a little *bump*, you did that at O'reillys.

Got a good 12 volts coming off the battery to the starter?

Last edited:
Did you put the starter back on the car and try and start it?
Sometimes a starter/solenoid will not activate and needs a little *bump*, you did that at O'reillys.

Got a good 12 volts coming off the battery to the starter?
I did put it back on and tried starting it but I got the same result although come to think of it I can hear a click now that wasn't there before. Not sure how to check if it's getting 12 volts? But I'm going to try and give it a boost maybe the batt has drained a bit from sitting there and from me trying to start it a few times...

So I gave it a boost and bam it started... It just feels a little shaky not sure why it's doing that... But thanks a lot for the help! :)

So I gave it a boost and bam it started... It just feels a little shaky not sure why it's doing that... But thanks a lot for the help! :)
More than likely you will need to replace that starter or rebuild it yourself, if it's the starter which more than likely it is it Will hang up again.
Also I want you to know that there could be an ignition relay problem. It's a slim chance. Check to see online to see if your vehicle has one and if so where it's at when you got time.
Your V+ from battery to starter is the largest gage wire connected to the starter. Make sure Both ends are making Good connections.
Safety First and Good Luck!

More than likely you will need to replace that starter or rebuild it yourself, if it's the starter which more than likely it is it Will hang up again.
Also I want you to know that there could be an ignition relay problem. It's a slim chance. Check to see online to see if your vehicle has one and if so where it's at when you got time.
Your V+ from battery to starter is the largest gage wire connected to the starter. Make sure Both ends are making Good connections.
Safety First and Good Luck!
Ok makes sense I'll def have to change that out... I thought I might if it's jamming up. I figured out why after I bumped the starter it was giving me issues, turns out the cell in the battery was really weak and borderline bad. Turns out I got it in 2011 and needed a new one... So car idles fine now and starts up without a problem for now... When I re-gaped the spark plugs though I noticed one plug had oil and one had a lot of gas... What could be the issue with that? Is the head gasket worn maybe? The car has 200k miles to it now.