2004 Corolla Lifter Noise

I have a 2004 Corolla with 145,000 + miles. The lifters started clanking about 20,000 miles ago when it was cold. It is fine when It warms up and the engine is strong (good compression and power). I have changed the oil every 3-4,000 miles religiously.
Where do I start?
Do I pull the oil pan and clean it and the pick up?
Does it need a new oil pump?
Is there a seal on the top of the motor that is letting the oil leak back down? Is so is it easy to fix?
Is it worth it to start this project? The car will need cv boots, water pump, alternator soon I'd guess? What is the life span of these items or what other parts fail typically and when?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Remove the valve cover and tighten all of the lifters and cam bolts to specification. Get a manual for this, as different manufactures torque lifters differently and too much can cause a valve to smack into a piston.

As long as you have oil pressure the pump is fine. Since you changed oil religiously your pan probably has minimal sludge in it.

As far as the CV boots, water pump, and alternator go, it all depends on how awesome the guy that built it that day on the assembly line was. I've seen alternators die at 24,000 miles and go beyond 150,000. I've seen water pumps die at 184,000 miles and still function at 300,000 miles.

Engine noise occurring when cold and then it goes away after it warms up is a classic sign of comparatively poor performing petroleum oils. Don't start tearing anything apart.

What brand, type, (petroleum or synthetic), and viscosity oil are you using? You might just need a better performing oil. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
He's due on the lifters needing to be torqued. If it was the oil, it would have started occuring sooner. Wouldn't hurt to keep synthetic in it with those miles but letting them slap because of slack is going to wear on the cam lobes.

The engine creating noise only when it's cold is a strong indication of a comparatively poor performing/lubricating petroleum oil being used. As the engine warms up, the oil thins out and begins to flow to metal engine parts starved of lubrication and presto, no more noise. The engine noise is indicating very high metal-to-metal wear going on, robbing the engine of thousands of miles of life.

A friend of mine started having this issue on his Honda CRX after hitting 150,000 miles. Retorqued the bolts to specification and verified the clearance with feeler gauges, and the noise went away. The oil warming up to stop the noise is a mask to the underlying issue. Changing to another oil may stop the noise but it doesn't change the fact that there is play in the top end of the motor... Metal also expands when hot, which causes the clearance to tighten up slightly, reducing the noise.

Somebody that changes their oil religiously, chances are, isn't using cheap Autozone oil.

Retorqued the bolts to specification and verified the clearance with feeler gauges, and the noise went away.
I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone will see this. Can you explain what you mean by this? Which bolts were retorqued? As far as I can see, the lifters can't be retorqued, as they are bucket type, and would need to be swapped.

Thanks.

casmic

vavle knock or low octane knock is common. depending on the level of knock. at 120k it possible to have to re-torque them but not a good idea unless a must do since the groves and wear patterrn created after 120k would change might cause more harm.

ive herd bran new cars knock. if it constant loud knock or a ping yea rIp off the valve cover and vet a torqe wrench. make sure to tighten to spec and in the patern required or well just do if