2004 Corolla - Lower Control Arms

i have a 2004 Corolla and have been told by a mechanic that I need to replace my lower control arms because the bushings are dry rotted.
I had to buy 2 brand new front tires because the tread was cupped. They believed this was part of the cause I have also heard clunking from the front end as well.

Now my question is how do you get the lower control arm off on the drivers side?
I just attempted this and the front bolt is only a little over an inch from the transmission. I could remove the bolt from the rear bushing and the ball joint but I didn't want to take all the bolt and nuts out if I couldn't get that front bolt out.
Any help would be appreciated.

I didn't try the passenger side because the shop that just put the new tires on cross threaded two of the lug nuts on the studs. So I couldn't get the tire off.

So ... are you saying that the bolt won't come out all the way because the transmission is in the way? Could you maybe get a jack under the transmission with a block of wood, remove the transmission mount, and then jack the transmission up enough to clear? (That seems like a pain but sometimes crap like this is expected when working on a car ... could be worse).

Sucks about the tire shop cross threading the lugs ... should get them to remove it and replace the studs for free (sounds like a genius used an impact gun without even spinning the lugs onto the stud first).

Another thing that is incredibly important with control arms, is to only tighten the two bushings when the car is at normal attitude position. To do this, I get all of the hardware hand tight, I torque the lower ball joint to spec, get the tires on, then place thick, wide blocks of wood under the tires, then lower the car onto it. Torque the lugs to specification, and then torque the lower control arm bushings to specification. Make sure to chock the rear wheels when doing this.

I've done control arms on several cars, but not specifically on this generation of Corolla.

Yes, the transmission is attached to the engine. No, you would not have to raise the entire engine if removing the transmission mount allows you to jack it up enough to remove the bolt (removing the transmission mount while leaving the other motor mount attached will move the assembly at an angle that may allow it to clear).

So I guess I just have to find the transmission mounts now.
The shop fixed the studs they cross threaded yesterday. So now I can do the passenger side lower control arm. That side looked like all the bolts had enought clearance to be removed.

Any suggestions on removing and replacing them? Do I need to detach anything else to get these off with out a struggle? Or can I just leave everything else attached?

For replacement, follow the procedure I mentioned above when it comes time to torquing the bolts down. As far as everything else goes, check the conditions of bolts and nuts for wear, make sure you put the nuts and bolts where they were positioned on removal, and usually you only need to pop the lower ball joint off the spindle, then you can pull it down and away from the cross-member. There are cases where I had to remove the spindle because the control arm was so bad from an accident, but you shouldn't have that issue if you are replacing them for normal wear and tear.

So looking around I assume the transmission mount is the mount on top of the transmission? And I want to unbolt the mount from the car to allow the transmission to move up?
I asked the shop if they would install the parts I bought and they said no.

I have an 06 and did just the same thing. From what I understand that best bet is to just drop the Transmission Oil Pan, there should be 18 bolts that hold the pan.

Drain the tranny oil
Drop the oil pan
Remove old control arm
Install new control arm
Clean the strainer filter that is in the pan
Replace the tranny oil pan gasket (I think it was $18 from the dealer)
Put the pan back on the transmission
Fill up with the appropriate tranny fluid

Take the time while the pan is dropped to look for any debris (metal shavings etc)

Last edited: