2004 Corolla - Steering Wheel Lock

DaveH

Hi folks - just wondering if any of you have ever had a problem with the steering wheel lock on your Carollas - i have a 2004 (3 door) and the other day i started the ignition with no problems but the steering wheel still seemed locked! So i could move forward and back but couldn't steer! Its only happened once but i was wondering if this is potentially dangerous (ie could it lock when im driving?) - any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated!

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbup1::clap::thumbup::):thumbsup::party:
Something sure isn't right, because with the steering wheel locked the transmission shifter should not be able to be moved out of park. I'm guessing a linkage problem, or some kind of sensor problem with the transmission. Sounds like it's time to make a call to your Toyota dealers Service Department.

Last edited:
The steering lock won't activate while you are driving (in theory anyway), I would look for signs of it sticking or something lose. I'm surprised it even let you turn the engine over like that. Bizarre...

DaveH

Hey Scott/Donabed -

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated - ill take your advice and pop into my local Toyota dealer to double check -

Its strange as its never happened before and hasnt happened since! Thanks for the advice!