2005 Corolla With 1.6 ZZFE Engine Grinding Noise

OBJ

I have 2005 corolla with a 1.6 zzfe engine, whenever the car goes above 3000 rpm, a resonating grinding sort of a sound starts coming from the engine, its not bearings as the sound is present even when the car is standing, a technician told me its from the axles but i am not convinced as the axle boots seems fine, can there be any other sources for this sound?
It there a way to diagnose it?

How does the oil look and do you have the correct type in the engine?

Engines have bearings as well (and I'm suspecting a bad camshaft bearing but without hearing the noise for myself it is a shot in the dark).

I wouldn't go to that technician if he said it came from the axles when it makes the noise with the car parked.

Best way to diagnose it, is to cut a piece of clean vacuum line, hold it to your ear, and start probing around the engine as somebody revs up the engine to make the noise, then go from there.

It would definitely help if you posted a YouTube video of the engine making the noise and dropped the link here.

Other things to keep in mind:

1. Does the pitch change with engine speed
2. Has the maintenance been done as scheduled on it
3. Oil level and condition
4. Does it make the noise below 3000 rpm that you hear through the vacuum line trick.
5. Does the intensity of the sound increase or decrease with engine speed.

OBJ

Thank you for the reply.

I donot think the sound will be very clear in a video, but here are some of my observations;
1) The sound starts coming after 3000 rpm when the engine is warm and running or when the engine is cold early in the morning. The noise increases with the rpm
2) The car is heavy on fuel gives around 8km/l
3) The car seems heavy to drive and does not accelerate like it should, i feel it is 30% down on power, upon full throttle the engine noise increases drastically but the acceleration is not there.
4) The car has been tuned the oil is 20/50 w Havoline. The oil brand was changed in the last oil change around 1000km ago in order to check if lubricant was the cause of this noise
5) Throttle Body was recently cleaned titanium plugs have been installed with a fresh air filter.
6) I have even tried tried running it on higher octane fuel but with no results

I would be grateful if you can advise a possible solution to this problem

Last edited:

OBJ

I suspect this engine noise is the cause of lower acceleration and lower fuel efficiency,
My car has done 140,000 km, the fuel pump has never been changed, the clutch is weak but even a weak clutch cannot justify the current power loss

OBJ - When did the noise start occurring and what was done with the car just before the noise started occurring?

With a 2005 Corolla, Toyota engineers specify a preferred viscosity of 5W-30 in environments of -20 deg. F. to 100 deg. F. Why is 20W-50 being used instead?

An oil that thick will reduce power, throttle response and fuel economy, while increasing engine wear.

Did the noise start after the most recent oil change with the 20W-50 viscosity?

I'd have to hear it, but it sounds like excessive wear in the top end of the motor or possibly a spun connecting rod bearing. Did you see any metal shavings in the oil when you changed?

Also, as Scott said, going to a thicker oil is the worst thing you could have done. Ditch that 20w-50 quick.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Holy cow 20-50 the poor motor doesn't have enough torque to pump an oil that thick lol never mind drive to. First thing is do not drive or start that motor until you change the oil to 5w-30 and before you do checkthe current oil in there and see if you can find metal flaking if so then tthat's very bad news you have prolly caused dry starts and then when the car does reach operating temp the 50w is way to much and the car can't pump it quick enough if at all and that's causing pure metal to metal grinding

And with the noise happening when cold and when hot means that the engine needs 5w at start up and the 20w is not circulating and then when it becomes hot the 50w is not circulating right now its almost like you have molasses in your motor which is your power loss issue it can spin with such a thick oil

Last edited:

OBJ

Thank you all again for your replies.

I changed the engine oil recently, before my last oil change i have been using 5-30w api sg rated shell helix, someone recommended that i should use thicker oil due to excessive heat and dust in the area where the car is used.
The noise was coming before I changed the oil type, I actually changed the oil type as it may decrease this sound.
Donabed:
There were no metal shavings in the last oil change neither does the engine or produce white smoke and even in extreme heat it does not overheat with a/c on, therefore I am fairly certain that the engine head and pistons are in good shape

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
So does that mean now that you changed the oil to the correct weight that the noise is gone and the car is running good again please do not listen to people get an owners manual and follow it to the letter and I guarantee you will never do a thing wrong and will not regret it.

Good luck and I'm very happy your car is running good and all is fine

I can't help without hearing the noise myself. Even if the video and audio quality isn't that good, it is better than nothing. There are a million things that can make noise and cause power loss.

If you didn't see metal shavings in the drain pan that is a good sign for the engine. What about transmission?