2007 Corolla LE

kyoo

anyone know why the forum isn't letting me edit some of my earlier posts? i'd like to throw the how-to's in my original post for future reference

You can find your posts about a given topic using the Search function here or looking at the listings of your own posts via your profile. :thumbup1:

I hear you though. Sometimes I try to edit my posts for a spelling or typographical error and once in a great while the forum software wont let me do it. I think it's just a glitch in the software.

kyoo

9012 Bulb Modification and Fit

Happy to report that the 9012 bulb base modification was successful. It is a good deal brighter than the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480FIEG/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Philips Crystal Vision Ultra[/ame], which aren't the brightest to begin with, but they are quite white and decently bright. The product I replaced it with was [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480N18G/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]this[/ame].

I've got pictures of the light but you can't really tell any difference anyway. I only did this for the passenger side for now as a test. It isn't an earth shattering change, and nothing like an HID, but it is a solid, good light output. I'm satisfied in this regard, and I think combined with the headlight restoration I have a light output that I can live with at night without turning the high beams on.

Below are the before and after pictures of the modification.

kyoo

I'll also be adding some RMI25 to the coolant. I expect to see a lot of crap coming out of it frankly. After that, I may flush the coolant.

kyoo

gonna give some DIY lexen window tint a go! i'll post it up once i finish, probably do that over the weekend. $20 vs $200 for the beater, no brainer

kyoo

I see I haven't updated for a while - self-tinting turned out to be a fail, so I decided just to get llumar all around with 35%. I'm really happy with the turn out, but wish I had gone just a tad darker for more cooling inside.

kyoo

Also, did my annual oil change today. Car had ~16,000 miles on the oil, Amsoil 0w20 SSO, which I'll be sending to Blackstone to see how the results turn out.

Did the standard drain, plug & fill with more Amsoil 0w20 SSO, car immediately felt smoother again. However, I did make one change - the recommended Amsoil filter, the EA15k09, is very small, and like many people know, the bigger the oil filter the better, especially for extended drain intervals. Did a little digging and it turns out the EA15K51 also fits the Corolla and is a much bigger filter. (I already do this with my Evo, using the EA15k20 instead of the recommended EA15k13).

Not sure how many people are aware, but Amsoil dropped a lot of their EAO oil filters - a much higher quality filter, better made and better filtering, and a lot of the EA15k's dropped in size when the EAOs were out. Using a bigger filter if possible is definitely a good thing, so long as it fits.

I didn't take any exact measurements, but the EA15k51 is significantly larger than the EA15k09. The only thing I was concerned about was the diameter, which I thought might be too large both to fit and to seal properly. I think it turned out just fine though. I'll monitor for leaks just in case. It just BARELY fit in the space though. Pics below!

trans fluid next! using amsoil multi vehicle SS ATF

Last edited:
Using too large an oil filter can cause many problems. Using an oil filter that is not approved for a given application, there will be no warranty coverage.

what would be too large in this case?
When we oversize oil filters, the amount of air flowing around the oil filter is reduced, which reduces the transfer of heat and reduces cooling of the oil. This can cause oil temperatures to rise. Also, an oversized oil filter is closer to hot engine parts, which can also increase temperatures.

From the pictures posted, the oil filter gaskets are not even close to each other in size. This can cause the gasket of the oversized oil filter to leak, or even worse blow out, which could cause extensive engine damage or even catastrophic failure.

kyoo

When we oversize oil filters, the amount of air flowing around the oil filter is reduced, which reduces the transfer of heat and reduces cooling of the oil. This can cause oil temperatures to rise. Also, an oversized oil filter is closer to hot engine parts, which can also increase temperatures.

From the pictures posted, the oil filter gaskets are not even close to each other in size. This can cause the gasket of the oversized oil filter to leak, or even worse blow out, which could cause extensive engine damage or even catastrophic failure.
lol well i can live with less air flowing around the filter reducing cooling lol.

the second bit is my concern obviously. It depends on the size of the stocker, how much the car can fit, etc. I'll see if I can dig up more info on the dimensions of everything

Increased temperatures decreases oil life. An oil filter is the only place where the hot engine oil can be cooled by outside air. Reducing that cooling can have detrimental affects on oil and engine life.

kyoo

Increased temperatures decreases oil life. An oil filter is the only place where the hot engine oil can be cooled by outside air. Reducing that cooling can have detrimental affects on oil and engine life.
thanks for the input. i sent the last sample out to blackstone, it will be interesting to see if this sample will show any differently.

I'm surprised you use Blackstone.

The comments I've seen on their reports many times seem rather unprofessional.

They also don't include the critical TBN testing in their basic kit and you have to pay much more for the TBN testing.

kyoo

I'm surprised you use Blackstone.

The comments I've seen on their reports many times seem rather unprofessional.

They also don't include the critical TBN testing in their basic kit and you have to pay much more for the TBN testing.
Do you have a different tester that is preferred? Blackstone's the only one I know of, just to see how the wear metals are.

Do you have a different tester that is preferred? Blackstone's the only one I know of, just to see how the wear metals are.
You betcha. Polaris. I've been using them for years. Their oil analysis reports are much more complete and include the very important TBN testing.

An oil could be fine in every category, but if the TBN is depleted, the oil should be changed to avoid engine damage. Without TBN test results, we're in the dark about the suitability of the oil for continued use, or not.

http://www.oaitesting.com/

Last edited:

kyoo

You betcha. Polaris. I've been using them for years. Their oil analysis reports are much more complete and include the very important TBN testing.

An oil could be fine in every category, but if the TBN is depleted then to avoid engine damage the oil should be changed. Without TBN test results, we're in the dark about the suitability of the oil for continued us, or not.

http://www.oaitesting.com/
thanks - I'll check them out

Kev250R

This is my other car
Just a curiosity question here but do Corolla's not use an external oil cooler? I know my '93 T100 and my ex's '99 4Runner both external oil coolers, although both of those trucks have V6 engines. I'm planning on having my Corolla on a rack later today, when it is I'll look around and see if there is an oil cooler on my '10 Corolla.

Kevin

kyoo

Just a curiosity question here but do Corolla's not use an external oil cooler? I know my '93 T100 and my ex's '99 4Runner both external oil coolers, although both of those trucks have V6 engines. I'm planning on having my Corolla on a rack later today, when it is I'll look around and see if there is an oil cooler on my '10 Corolla.

Kevin
do you have the 1zz-fe?

FWIW, i checked on a few other forums, including bitog where a lot of guys have the same motor. apparently a pretty common practice to run an larger filter, and the 1zz-fe's filter mount is fairly large. the 3" ea15k51 is juuuust about pushing it, but i think it will work. i'll monitor for leaks of course.

rumor has it the ea034 has the same diameter & thread, but is even longer than the ea15k51. i'll have to give it a shot next time. that may assist with the air cooling as well - more exposed surface area, more air, and more of it "in the open."

Kevin
Oil coolers are on those because of towing. Oil coolers aren't necessary on a Corolla. Automatic transmissions are a different story though.

FYI, I did receive confirmation that the EAO34 matches the thread and diameter of the EA15k51, which matches m1-209 and a lot of other oversized filters people run on the 1zz-fe.

It'll be interesting to see how the EAO34 compares to the 15k09 and the 15k51, if there is any noticeable difference.

Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

Finally got around to doing the automatic trans fluid today - had been putting it off for a really long time.

Followed the detailed instructions on another forum, went fairly smoothly. The only snag I hit was that I didn't have enough fluid - I had 9qts of Amsoil ATF, but I think the process takes about 10-12qts to totally flush out 100% of the old fluid - guess that's why Amsoil sells this stuff in 2.5 gallon jugs. Ultimately, had to pick up about 3qts of Valvoline maxlife. I'll leave this stuff in for about 60k miles/3 yrs, and do another full flush with filter at that time. I believe it's been done twice before I came into possession of the car, but I don't think the pan has ever been dropped & filter changed.

Basic process was:

- Drain from the plug
- Drop the pan
- Drop the filter
- Install new filter
- Reinstall pan with new gasket
- Add about 4qts through the dipstick tube
- Disconnect the transmission fluid return line, attach hose to it
- Start the car, pump out a quart, add a quart
- Repeat until only new fluid is left.

Few random pics below!

PS: does anyone know what these plastic guards here actually do? Just shield from road debris? Kind of tempted to pull them off:

Last edited:
That plastic guard does 2 major things.

1. Protects the lower end from rocks and such
2. Directs airflow and increases fuel economy

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

FYI not much difference to speak of as far as feel goes of the transmission. Shifts etc all feel about the same. Overall the car feels pretty stout though, ready to take on another 100k miles or so!

I'm not sure what it is but I think the Corolla's not liking this transmission fluid. Some of the shifts have become really abrupt, and a rare now and then it slips pretty badly and then engages hard. I may need to consider getting some Toyota T-IV and flushing it again

How did you check the fluid level?

Did you do it with the engine running after cycling the transmission from R to N to D to N to R three times, and give each gear time to fully engage?

You already have Toyota T-IV rated fluid.

Check the fluid level. Your description sounds like a low fluid issue.
How did you check the fluid level?

Did you do it with the engine running after cycling the transmission from R to N to D to N to R three times, and give each gear time to fully engage?
fluid level seems fine. i filled, drove around, refilled, drove around again, waited a day, and refilled

If the fluid level was fine, why would there be a need to refill it, three times, or do you mean after refilling it three times now the fluid level seems okay?
to make sure it's leveled off after it goes through the system.. same with an engine oil fill. drive it around the block, then top off.

anyway, it's at the cold level when it's cold. it's pretty rare, just feels like a slip-BANG. may slowly flush out what I put in for OEM T-IV

The fluid brand isn't the issue. Don't toss out perfectly good fluid that is the correct Toyota T-IV rated fluid. There's no difference between the fluids in that regard.

I recommend calling the Technical Services Department and asking for advice.

The fluid brand isn't the issue. Don't toss out perfectly good fluid that is the correct Toyota T-IV rated fluid. There's no difference between the fluids in that regard.

I recommend calling the Technical Services Department and asking for advice.
on why t-iv with 60k miles didn't slipp, and amsoil with all sorts of friction modifiers that fits about a dozen other OEMs does? i think i know what the answer will be lol

Guessing, it sounds like a fluid pressure issue. I'd look at the filter to see if it's plugged up with debris that the new fluid flushed out of the system and is now plugging up the transmission filter. This is a common occurrence.

The fluid itself isn't the issue or all Toyota's would react that way. They don't.