2007 LE With 215k Miles

Hi all, I don't know much about cars but I am trying to get something for a teen.

I Found 2007 in outstanding condition but with 215,000 miles.

What are your thoughts on this ? Price will be around $6000

Let me know if anyone can run a Carfax or Autocheck for me :)

Thanks.

I'd pass. Thats a very, very high mileage vehicle for that price. I purchased my 06 with 113k miles from a dealership in CA for $8000.

My best friend bought her 2002 corolla for around that price with only 80k miles. That car had been super reliable for her.

They make great first cars. I'm 19 and this was my second car. That 02 was my best friend's first car. Great on fuel economy, no real performance to note.

P.S. If someone does offer to run a carfax, please keep it off of the public posts. I've heard that carfax monitors car forums for this exact behavior.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

Thanks, the car is pretty much spotless and I think the price is reasonable based on what else I'm seeing. My question is more in relation to the quality of the engine etc at that high mileage.

Engine should be fine. Many of the engines far exceed that. As long as it was used as a commuter and not a pizza delivery guy you"ll be fine. If it has high miles then you want highway miles.

You may have issues with the steering and/or suspension parts.

As with any vehicle, check all fluids and smell to see if they are burned, look for metal flakes, etc.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup::clap::):thumbup::thumbup1::balloon: :rockon:

At 215,000 miles the vehicle is at a mileage where almost anything could fail. That is very, very high mileage to the tune of over 30,000 miles per year, which means it could very well likely have been a fleet car for a company, or a rental car. In both cases vehicles like this tend to be neglected and only receive minimal mechanical maintenance, which isn't desirable of course.

In light of this, I think that asking price is way too much. Even in tip-top, excellent condition which only 3% of vehicles fall into, the Kelly Blue Book value for this vehicle is only $5,060 - http://www.kbb.com/toyota/corolla/2...options=&path=&vehicleid=84289&mileage=215000

So the asking price is a whopping $1,000 more than its real value. I'd run the other way so fast it's not even funny. Don't allow yourself to be ripped off. Kelly Blue Book prices are very accurate. They aren't based on someone's opinion, but on the average actual prices vehicles sold for. It seems to me that someone is trying to take you to the cleaners on the selling price of this Corolla.

A vehicle in this condition must meet the following criteria and at 215,000 miles, I highly doubt this Corolla meets the below standards -

Excellent

- 3% of all cars we value
Looks new and is in excellent mechanical condition
  • Has never had any paint touch-ups and/or bodywork
  • Does not need reconditioning
  • The engine compartment is clean and free of leaks
  • Is free of rust
  • The body and interior are free of wear or visible defects
  • Wheels are flawless
  • All tires match and are like new
  • Has a clean title history and will pass a safety and smog inspection
  • Has complete and verifiable service records
In very good condition -

Very Good

- 23% of all cars we value
Has minor cosmetic defects and is in excellent mechanical condition
  • Has had minor paint touch-up and/or bodywork
  • Requires minimal reconditioning
  • The engine compartment is clean and free of leaks
  • Is free of rust
  • The body and interior have minimal signs of wear or visible defects
  • Wheels are flawless
  • All tires match and have 75% or more of tread remaining
  • Has a clean title history and will pass a safety and smog inspection
  • Most service records are available

In very good condition, that car is worth only $4,706 - http://www.kbb.com/toyota/corolla/2...options=&path=&vehicleid=84289&mileage=215000

Good

- 54% of all cars we value
Has some repairable cosmetic defects and is free of major
mechanical problems
  • May need some servicing
  • The paint and bodywork may require minor touch-ups
  • The engine compartment may have minor leaks
  • Has only minor rust, if any
  • The body may have minor scratches or dings
  • The interior has minor blemishes characteristic of normal wear
  • Wheels may have minor repairable scratches or scrapes
  • All tires match and have at least 50% of tread remaining
  • Though it may need some reconditioning, it has a clean title history and will pass a safety and smog inspection
  • Some service records are available
In good condition it's only worth $4,474 - http://www.kbb.com/toyota/corolla/2...options=&path=&vehicleid=84289&mileage=215000

Last edited:

Kev250R

This is my other car
I'd pass. It's not as if these are rare cars. Look around and for the same $$ you should be able to find something with a lot fewer miles in as good if not better condition.

Kevin

I agree. Bad credit means your APR sucks ... not your APR sucks and you pay more than what the car is worth. I understand dealers gotta eat so they typically won't go below Blue Book ... but asking $8,000 for a car with that miles, I wouldn't even bother with that dealership, period. Chances are, they bought the car at auction for $3k.

And also, I never recommend getting anything with over 100,000 miles.

And as Scott said, at 200,000 miles, anything can happen, and chances are, the repair bill will be half of what the car is worth.

For that money, you'll find a better deal on craigslist...way better. Unless you don't have the cash and wanna finance. Still, you should find a better chance at a dealer.