2008 Corolla - Reset Computer

I got a new battery a week ago, and now my car won't pass the smog test.
Does anyone know how many miles I need to drive to reset the computer?

And do I have to drive above a certain speed?

Thanks!

The only "reset" you or I can do is to disconnect the battery for a few minutes. There is no "drive X miles to reset".

Drive the car like you normally do for another week. See if it changes.

Honestly, if it was going to pass smog, it should have after a week of driving.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

I got a new battery a week ago, and now my car won't pass the smog test.
Does anyone know how many miles I need to drive to reset the computer?

And do I have to drive above a certain speed?

Thanks!
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup::):clap::thumbup::thumbup1:

The new battery shouldn't have anything to do with passing emissions testing at all.

If the onboard computer was cleared of trouble codes, then yes that has to reset and it shouldn't take more than 50-100 miles of average driving.

Kev250R

This is my other car
Are you in California? If so it takes about 200 miles of normal driving before it'll pass smog, otherwise the equipment which tests the car will think that someone reset the computer in an effort to clear a code in order to make a car pass smog, because who would do something like that (other than me! :rolleyes: )

If the 'Check Engine' light isn't on then another couple of days normal start-stop cycles (normal daily driving) should allow it to pass no problem.

Good luck!

Kevin

The Vehicle Inspection Report says the vehicle failed the smog test due to the fact that the vehicle's on-board computer system has not completed the emission system's self-checks. Visual inspection: Pass
Functional inspection: Not ready.

Does that make sense to you? The car's only got 10K miles on it.

The Vehicle Inspection Report says the vehicle failed the smog test due to the fact that the vehicle's on-board computer system has not completed the emission system's self-checks. Visual inspection: Pass
Functional inspection: Not ready.

Does that make sense to you? The car's only got 10K miles on it.
Yes. What that means is one or more of the monitors that monitors the emissions systems of your Corolla have not reset, are not ready yet and are unable to do their job. It normally takes about 50-100 miles of normal driving to get them to reset and be ready. Any Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, etc, auto parts store can scan your Corolla's computer for free and tell you if the monitors have reset and are ready to pass emissions testing. To get the monitors to reset, you want to start and drive the car, get it hot, then shut it off to let it cool down again and do it all over again over many days.

Below is a link that will provide you more details about this -

http://www.aa1car.com/library/obd_monitor_not_ready.htm

It isn't the amount of miles.

You typically need three full warm up cycles from cold to complete ET readiness in the PCM. If the car hasn't done this after three cycles, then there may be a pending code that hasn't thrown a light (some codes require 3 detected failures in a row before the check engine light is illuminated).

My pleasure.

The key is not so much a long drive, but the number of times you start the car, run it, let it get cold again, start it, and etc. This helps the monitors to reset and be ready. Just go to any Advance Auto Parts or Autozone store and they can check the your Corolla's onboard computer for free, (takes about 5 minutes), to verify the monitors are all ready and your car will pass emissions testing.

Last edited:

Kev250R

This is my other car
Just an FYI, I'm not sure where the original poster is from but here in CA Auto Parts stores can't legally run trouble codes. I don't know exactly why (they used to be able to) but something in the law changed a couple of years ago and now they can't. However they can sell code readers and most can tell you where you can get a code scanned and/or cleared for next to nothing.

Kevin

My pleasure.

Just to got any Advance Auto Parts or Autozone store and they can check the your Corolla's onboard computer for free, (takes about 5 minutes), to verify the monitors are all ready and your car will pass emissions testing.

Just an FYI, I'm not sure where the original poster is from but here in CA Auto Parts stores can't legally run trouble codes. I don't know exactly why (they used to be able to) but something in the law changed a couple of years ago and now they can't. However they can sell code readers and most can tell you where you can get a code scanned and/or cleared for next to nothing.

Kevin
It is illegal in CA and Hawaii for any buisiness that is not a registered automotive repair center to read codes. Im not sure why either.

I know we used to have a few local shops that we would reccomend when people needed their codes read for free.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

Someone sued Autozone in CA because clearing the codes didn't help them pass smog (which falls under the "DUH" category).

So ... that's why it ended up being outlawed. Not sure what bureaucratic powerhouse thought of that law up when it wasn't needed ... but whatever. CARB sucks.

Had to do that with my '96 Mustang GT. Failed HC emissions at the 25 mph test, replaced the spark plugs that only had 16,000 miles on them so they were fresh, and it just barely passed that time. Same deal as you, paid the registration and had 30 days.

I'm pretty sure the fuel injectors needed to be rebuilt and that was the underlying issue (engine had 225,000 miles on it).