2008 Corolla Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill

I drained my transmission fluid on 2008 corolla le and only got out 3 quarts and and maybe 2or 3 ounces more..i have seen corolla threads say that the drain and refill should be 3.5 quarts...should i just stop refilling at 3 quarts or add half a quart more...my dipstick shows liquid between the two hot markings already because i drove the car 2 or 3 hours before changing the fluid ...should i add more or leave it the way it is..

Drive it around and re-check it (the old fluid is going to read in hot, not the new warm-temperature fluid).

Did you replace the filter? The filter is probably where your half quart is.

Also, don't overfill it. Overfilling will cause the fluid to bubble up and cause the bands and clutches to fail prematurely.

I checked the level after driving and it shows the level between the hot markings on the dipstick...like you said,the 1/2 quart might be in the filter.. my car sounds much smoother after changing the old fluid...my next project is the drive belt tensioner replacement

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Without doing a complete flush and fill, there is roughly 1/2 of the old, worn transmission fluid that has mixed with the new transmission fluid. It's kind of like taking a shower with your socks on.:eek: :blink:

My product application guide shows the below quantities of transmission fluid for a 2000 Toyota Corolla -

Automatic Transmission, A131L Initial Fill..........2.6 quarts [2]
Automatic Transmission, A245E Initial Fill..........3.3 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
3 speed A131L..........6.1 quarts
4 speed A245E..........8 quarts

[2] Final drive is serviced separately.

When changing the transmission fluid, the transmission filter should always be changed as well to avoid transmission failure. Why wasn't it changed?

Last edited: