2009 CE - Headlights Stopped Working

so here's what I have. a 2000 corolla ce.

Went out to the car at night started it. headlights came on for 10 seconds and turned off automatically. Running lights and tail lights stayed on. Switched lights to "on" and the headlights didn't turn on. The running lights stayed on though. dashboard lights work....So in a nut shell the headlights turn on in off mode for 10 seconds, turn off, I switch to "on" and nothing happens....is this a relay issue, a wiring issue, or a fuse issue? I have no books on this car...

this guy had the same problem on a 99 it appears. no reso http://www.justanswer.com/toyota/1rbeo-hello-my-99-corolla-s-headlights-aren-t-working-right.html

Last edited:
Does it do this exact same thing every time you start the engine and turn on the headlights?

Does it do this if you just turn the headlights on without the engine running?

Does it do this exact same thing every time you start the engine and turn on the headlights?

Does it do this if you just turn the headlights on without the engine running?
It's the same series of events everytime I turn on the car...I dont have access to the car right now but unless I start the car I do not get headlights with aux power in the off postition (i think this is by design so it's normal.) I should be able to turn on aux and get headlights in the "on" postion but nada...only running lights. high beams are also a no go.

Last edited:
Don't those year have each fuses to each headlight like the new 03+ Corollas? I know my old '95 Prizm LSi has this too. So it might not be the fuse; very unlikely. Could be a relay or the DRL module if it has one?