2009 Corolla: Re-Design Issues?

Hey all,
I couldn't find much information on this in searching around, so I thought I'd ask some good owners for their opinions.

I'm considering buying a used 2009 Toyota Corolla, LE, 1.8L, 4-speed auto.
Having some systems engineering experience, I know that vehicles produced over the first year or two of a major model re-design may still have a few design flaws left by the time they leave the factory floor. I may be wrong, but it looks like the 2009 update was mostly cosmetic (still built around the E140 chassis), which gives me hope that not many major components were changed.

Are there any common issues that have shown-up with the 2009 corollas?

Have you noticed any steering problems? Seems to be a common complaint, and the NHTSA investigation wasn't very reassuring.

Would there be any benefits to buying a 2010 or 2011 instead (any design or feature refinements/changes etc.)?

And finally, given the choice after having lived with it for a wihle, would you buy your Toyota again?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

well, not sure of any issues with the 2009 specifically but if you moved up to the 2011 (apart from appearance) you should get traction control and vsc as standard. 2011 Toyota made the Star Safety System (, vsc, trac control, brake force distribution, brake override and another thing I forget) standard on all Toyota's because of the "issue" of Toyota's gas pedal getting stuck, that was hyped up in 2009. and Yes I would buy another Toyota

Help!!!

So I went to a dealership today and found a nice 5 speed corolla LE. I really like manual transmissions, are there any consistent problems i should know about?
THANK YOU!

5 speed le. only in the States. In Canada they are auto only. I think since the 9th gen I believe. I have a 5 speed and love it. no issues so far, although only had it since Aug 2013. quick? Well, I am way past my racing days but honestly I find it quick enough. I have no issue with traffic or the such, you do have to row the gears a bit more when there are people and things in the trunk but that applies to any vehicle.

Last edited:
Water pump failures are common on the 2009 models. You are lucky if you get 70K miles out of the original design. The replacements were redesigned and seem to be OK.

I'm happy with my corolla.