2009 Corolla transmission fluid drain and fill

I've had a difficult time determining the total fluid capacity of the auto transmission in the 2009 Corolla S with the small engine. The copy of the FSM I bought off eBay is useless. The OM only provides the amount of fluid for a drain and fill (2.6 US Quarts in my case). In reality, I find that 2.5 quarts works perfectly with a D&F.

So my question really centers around how many D&F operations I need to do to get to ~90% fresh fluid (fresh being rather subjective). I've been doing D&Fs every other oil change (got the car with 93k miles) and based on a total capacity of 6.9 US quarts (reference from an Amsoil source), I find I'll need about 5 changes to get to about 90% 'fresh' fluid.

Here's a spreadsheet I did to show the fluid dilution over time based on my 2.5 quart drain and fill. Of course fresh is a relative term given that OCIs are 5000 miles so a D&F happens every 10,000 miles. Perhaps I need to bump that up to every OCI until I get about 90% 'fresh' fluid. ;)

Attachments

fishycomics

Super Moderator
IMHO

I never touched in the corolla. but like most cars up to 3 qrs if you D & F after a short ride ) 1000' to whatever) to circulate fluid, you can repeat it. normally its in your owners manual on some cars. today all this info is a mystery. good luck

Oh I'm not worried about it. It's not like I'm trying to change from one fluid to another like Honda did when they went from ATF Z1 to ATF DW-1. A Honda 'flush' is 4 D&Fs in a row. (I have 3 Hondas, but only 2 with auto trannies). To convert those, I'd just do multiple D&Fs about a week apart to get a good fluid mix (and not take all day to do it all with some driving in between). But I like to exercise all gears including reverse when converting from one fluid to another (as in the case of Honda).

If anything, the Corolla is easier to change the tranny fluid than the Hondas, but mainly because I don't have to fish in the back of the engine bay for the fill plug on the Toyota like I do on the Hondas. ;)

I'm grateful that my vehicles with auto trannies all have dipsticks!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
On the Honda I had the plug was closer to the front then the oil Lol. And it is nothing different then simply taking ATF-Z1 out and replacing the same in. All I said was do a few changes but add a short ride. Even today again the trans plug is still closer to the front, then the Corolla same distance of the oil plug.

My 2 Hondas with auto trannies are a Pilot and a Ridgeline. Both tranny fill plugs are near the center back of the firewall and down low on top of the tranny. Not bad to get to with the right tools, but IMO, filling through the dipstick is ever so much easier on the Toy than on the Hondas. I do like the magnetic plug on the Hondas and am surprised the Toyota does not have a mag plug on the tranny drain.

Better if you do flushing. It is pretty simple. First just drain and fill and do not start the car. Remove the return line from oil cooler. you can see which line connected to the cooler on the down size. Then take container with marks of liters. remove 1 liter by starting the car and turn it off when your container fill at the mark of 1 liter then add 1 liter and repeat the process. You need someone who can start and stop the car for you.

Usually 6~7 liters are enough to do a complete flushing or if you can do a 10 liter flushing it will be great. You will feel the difference.

no risk of under filling. How much you are removing thats what you are adding and if it overfill or underfill then check it while hot. If it is more then remove a bit and if less then add.

Then what was all the fuss about in the closed thread? (I agree with you, btw).

http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/how-much-and-which-automatic-transmission-fluid-do-i-need.2640/

IMO, that thread is about changing from WS fluid to another type (Amsoil, etc.). Not a simple drain and fill. But I never saw that spelled out explicitly in that thread. Regardless, I cannot see how it is possible to screw up a drain and fill operation. But a complete fluid change? That might be another animal. I dunno.

Well they are right upto some extent that you have a risk of under filling. But you need to check the fill Quantity after the flush.

There is no rocket science in it. As I told you, how much you remove you quantify it and you need to add the same amount as you removed.

Just confirm that it should be checked while engine running or stopped. As I check when engine stopped. May be I under filled my transmission.
Honestly, you ask a very good question. I *assumed* that Toyota automatics are conventional automatics which I've always checked with the fluid hot, in park or neutral, idling, and on a level surface.

That being said, if you check a Honda automatic that way, you *will* underfill it. The correct procedure for a Honda automatic is engine hot, shut off, and check tranny fluid within 60-90 seconds of shutdown. I can tell you a story about that. ;) Honda automatics are not conventional automatics.

I've looked in my eBay FSM and my copy of the OM and cannot find any reference as to how the factory recommends that the Toyota automatic tranny fluid level should be checked. All my Google references go to sites other than anything Toyota, so that could make the source suspect.