How Much and Which Automatic Transmission Fluid Do I Need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Below are the capacities listed for your Toyota on my websites Online Product Application Guide.

The fluid has to meet the Toyota WS specification. AMSOIL Signature Series synthetic automatic transmission fluid is the best choice and will provide the best transmission protection, smoother shifting, cooler and quieter operation as well as a mild fuel economy boost. Here is the link - http://www.amsoil.com/shop/find/product/atl?zo=349698

Private message me for a price.

CAPACITIES: Engine, with filter..........4.4 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........5.8 quarts
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, U250E Initial Fill..........3.7 quarts
Automatic Transmission, U341E Initial Fill..........3.1 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
4 speed U341E..........6.9 quarts
5 speed U250E..........8.2 quarts
Manual Transmission, C59 (5-SPD)..........4 pints
[1] After refill check oil level.

Last edited:

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
AMSOIL has issued a Technical Service Bulletin on changing the automatic transmission fluid in all Toyota automatic transmissions with WS rated transmission fluid.

Toyota Transmission Fill System (43k PDF) (Revision: 1/12/10)

OBJECTIVE:
Inform consumers about Toyota-specific requirements for proper automatic transmission flush and fill procedures in certain 2004 and newer transmissions requiring Toyota WS automatic transmission fluid.

ISSUES:
Certain Toyota applications require use of the Toyota Transmission Fill System to accurately complete transmission fluid changes. Aftermarket transmission shops and at-home mechanics neglecting to use the Toyota-specific Transmission Fill System may under-fill the transmission, which may lead to erratic shift patterns or catastrophic failure of the system. Consumers changing their Toyota WS fluid to AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Effi cient ATF are advised to ensure the fluid flush is completed using the Toyota Transmission Fill System.

TECHNICAL DISCUSSION:
Toyota has issued a unique set of equipment and processes related to the successful flushing and filling of automatic transmissions requiring Toyota WS fluid. With the introduction of the Toyota WS ATF specification, certain Toyota applications do not specify initial fluid inspection until 100,000 miles. Though this interval is approved by Toyota, many consumers choose to change their transmission fluid prior to the recommended interval. Consumers who flush and change their transmission fluid to a competitive product, such as AMSOIL Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid, frequently either use fluid change facilities not specifi cally associated with Toyota or complete the service at home. Often, these shops and consumers do not have the Toyota Transmission Fill System. Without this equipment, proper flush and change procedures may not be accurately completed, leaving the consumer’s transmission vulnerable to the detrimental effects of incorrect fill volume. Under-filled transmissions can result in erratic shift patterns and, ultimately, transmission failure. The AMSOIL Technical Department has received calls outlining the referenced issues and has determined the cause to be improperly filled transmission systems. AMSOIL recognizes that the proper equipment to successfully perform the fluid change is not readily available and is subsequently informing Dealers of the potential risks associated with improper fluid change procedures.

RECOMMENDATION:

AMSOIL Synthetic Fuel Efficient Automatic Transmission Fluid is the appropriate fluid and an excellent replacement for the factory fill oil in Toyota transmissions requiring the WS specification. AMSOIL recommends consumers with transmissions requiring WS fluid bring a supply of AMSOIL
Fuel Efficient ATF to an approved transmission shop equipped with the Toyota Transmission Fill System. The Toyota Transmission Fill System is discussed in Toyota Technical Service Bulletin TC010-07.

REFERENCES:

Toyota Technical Service Bulletin: World Standard Automatic
Transmission Fluid (TC010-07)

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
As I noted, changing the transmission fluid with a WS rated fluid and not using the special equipment needed to complete the job can cause transmission failure running into the thousands of dollars to repair, i.e. a rebuilt transmission. This is not a job for the do-it-yourself backyard mechanic.

Fishy, you have errors in your video.

1. Removing the dipstick before the moment you intend to add fluid is risky, especially when working on the car outside. All it takes is some dust to pick up from wind.

2. You should be changing the automatic transmission filter as well, not just doing the fluid and leaving the old filter in there.

3. The correct procedure to check fluid level is to go R - N - D - N - R and repeat the cycle, giving each gear a minimum two seconds to allow full engagement (going to 2 and L does nothing) and you are supposed to place the transmission back in Park and check the fluid WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING.

Never check transmission fluid with the engine off or you will underfill it.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Not to mention if the car is equipped with the WS rated fluid and not using the special Toyota equipment to complete the job, the transmission can fail.

Scott, what does the equipment do? Kinda been curious about that for when it comes time to do the transmission fluid on my girl's 2010. Might just leave it to Toyota of Escondido to handle it now that I know I risk underfilling it otherwise.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
thanks for the input, appreciate it.
show me where the filter is and I shall get to it.

Also

Are you saying scott we should flush the car.

No automatic transmission filter? O'Reillys lists them for $16.99

You remove the pan to get to it, filter is right there. Replace filter, replace old pan gasket with included pan gasket, torque bolts to ~12 ft-lb.

Fishy, it is the difference between doing the job correctly and doing it half-assed. If you're gonna make a how-to video, show it getting done accurately and properly, not taking shortcuts and using improper procedures.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Fishy, it is the difference between doing the job correctly and doing it half-assed. If you're gonna make a how-to video, show it getting done accurately and properly, not taking shortcuts and using improper procedures.

Thanks but its a general video, to get you there and that is what the video is about. sorry if you are not a follower of why I say at times "Unconventional ways"

See one do one show one right . show us one then:D

So ... here is an unconventional way to check tansmission fluid that isn't correct and will cause you to underfill it? Here is an unconventional way to change it and leave an old filter in there?

Now, unconventional headlight or taillight repair, or bodywork, I can see ... but not mechanical bro.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
If that is your opinion, Happy 4th.back to OP. Do not flush your system. the filter does not need to be changed out right away, just keep your ATF. changed. and maybe down the road look into it.

Guys Happy 4th

Last edited:
If a job is going to be done, it should be done right, especially in the case of a transmission that costs thousands of dollars to replace/have rebuilt. Replacing the filter is probably the most important part of the job.

If we are going to do something, do it right or don't do it at all. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
@flash_os

Do not delete this post.

good luck with your change out. keep us posted, If you want professional advice just ask it won't be me who. I do not follow proceedures.

Don't be a baby about it. Man up, own your mistake, LEARN from it, and fix it so other people don't damage the vehicles that they paid hard-earned money for.

I will happily chew out a manager or a supervisor at my work for following a procedure that will damage a part or create scrap. Nobody is immune to it. DEAL with it.

If somebody pointed out a serious error in a video or photographed step-by-step I did, I would thank them, delete it, then fix it as soon as I possibly could and re-uploaded it.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
If you are referring to I, I have no answer to what you are asking in this thread, As we learn Ole saying goes back before your time "See one. Do one, show one.

FLASH...

your trans change is quite easy to do, but does not require you to drop your pan for the filter at this given time. Check to see if the fluid looks clean. If discolored, or burnt then you'll have to determine if it needs to change it more frequent, to a few changes.

using any outside fluids should be something you want to look into with a p ro not me.

fishy - Again, per Toyota, Corolla's equipped with WS rated transmission fluid, (as the original poster's is), require the use of special Toyota transmission equipment to refill the transmission. Otherwise the transmission can be under-filled, leading to expensive transmission damage up to and including needing a complete rebuild exceeding $2,000 in cost. Please don't provide incorrect advice to people and risk damaging their expensive transmissions.

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
fishy - Again, per Toyota, Corolla's equipped with WS rated transmission fluid, (as the original poster's is), require the use of special Toyota transmission equipment to refill the transmission. Otherwise the transmission can be under-filled, leading to expensive transmission damage up to and including needing a complete rebuild exceeding $2,000 in cost. Please don't provide incorrect advice to people and risk damaging their expensive transmissions.

thank you why it is to

FLASH...

your trans change is quite easy to do, but does not require you to drop your pan for the filter at this given time. Check to see if the fluid looks clean. If discolored, or burnt then you'll have to determine if it needs to change it more frequent, to a few changes.

using any outside fluids should be something you want to look into with a p ro not me

And not Scott O.....

butthanks for the info

fishycomics

Super Moderator
How much and which Automatic Transmission Fluid do I need?

I shown a clip that refers to not a 2009 and up thread, but a latter model, gives you the idea of what to do.

Flash_OS this is what you should be pointed to,
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-10Corolla/pdf/2010_Corolla_WMG_lr.pdf

but look for 2009 out there.
Flushing your fluid is not to be done..

hope the info helped out.. to the Log it clearly gives your answer . Enjoy:thumbsup:

FISH!

As it is a log, it would clearly show all changes. Oil, brake. power steer, etc,

Last edited:

End of discussion. Period. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.