2010 Corolla - Front and Rear Placement for Hydraulic Jack

I have a 2010 corolla S. I bought four jack stands and have one hydraulic jack. Its my first time trying to jack up the whole car in air at once to remove the four wheel at once. I could not find a reliable answer about the front and rear location of the car where I can use the hydro jack to lift the car. Any input will be helpful. I know about the four side corners but I am not sure how I can use that to lift the whole car, and if it is even safe.

FYI, I want to clean calipers,drum and paint them and also dip the wheels.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
find the location to where you put your scissor jack! that is where I put the jack stands.

To lift the car I find that part that is the A frame, if that is what we call it on this car. I lift there. Doing one jack stand at a time. If a video is needed I be happy to do it. if a picture is needed I be happy to do it as well.

Look from the front of the car on the cross member, you will see a tow hook and a hump, the hump is where you put the jack at.

In the rear, you need to get the special jack tool out of the trunk (looks like a round plastic cylinder with a stud sticking out of it), and almost directly underneath the spare tire, you'll see a metal box protrude from the underside of the car, put the special tool on your jack, line the stud up to fit in the hole, and jack it up there.

Also, I do NOT recommend putting the jackstands where the scissor jack goes. If you move about a foot in from that location, you will see a steel beam. THAT is where the jackstands belong.

The place where the scissor jack goes is only designed to support a little bit of weight, and over time you will fold that metal in. I've seen n00bs do that a lot.

find the location to where you put your scissor jack! that is where I put the jack stands.

To lift the car I find that part that is the A frame, if that is what we call it on this car. I lift there. Doing one jack stand at a time. If a video is needed I be happy to do it. if a picture is needed I be happy to do it as well.

If you can post a video. You will be my god. I just want to make sure I get it right. Do not want to make rookie mistakes. Then I am going to do my 2006 Sienna van.

Thanks

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I lift my car there, no where else, unless of an emergency on the road then I will place my jack stand, known as a Scissor jack with a flat wood o the appropriate spots. As noted here you were told not to lift at what point? And yet you see, posted the same point is noted. 23 year car in ownership I see it being an Oximoran answer. Sorry guys. lift where you feel is best , Place jack stands where is best, online, everyone is a know it all. I guess I am having a bad day again Lol

Right or wrong , argue to you are blue in the face!!!! The rear is the same as the other four scissor locations. double pressed sheet metal.

Last edited:

Kev250R

This is my other car
I agree with DK and generally lift and support my Corolla in the same places however when I recently needed to have a tire repaired (passenger-side rear) the tire store just wheeled a floor jack under the car and lifted it at the place where the scissor jack goes. I get the feeling they do that a lot and never have a problem.

Kevin

That place where the scissor jack goes is called a pinch weld and it's perfectly fine to lift the vehicle on the pinch weld. I was taught to lift vehicles there by multiple master automotive mechanics

I've seen older cars that are starting to rust collapse being lifted at that point, and the force of the collapse can cause the door to be tough to open, that's why I use the standard jack locations for the hydraulic and the jackstands go on the beam ... but in the end it is your car...

Also, fishy, in your top picture, I see an awful lot of bends where you have folded the metal in from jacking in that location, so thank you for proving my point.

In addition, the rear jack location has a larger surface area and thus each sheet of metal has less force acting upon it, even with double the weight, of the scissor jack location that is supported not by metal shaped in a box, but by a straight line. Simple physics ... plus ... it's faster because you only jack two spots, instead of four :-D

Last edited:
I will try this hopefully this week. Any of you know if the 2006 Sienna spare tire will fit in the 2010 corolla? are they the same wheel pattern? It can save me a alot of hassle. I can just put two spare tire in the back and call it a day. lol

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Also, fishy, in your top picture, I see an awful lot of bends where you have folded the metal in from jacking in that location, so thank you for proving my point.

In addition, the rear jack location has a larger surface area and thus each sheet of metal has less force acting upon it, even with double the weight, of the scissor jack location that is supported not by metal shaped in a box, but by a straight line. Simple physics ... plus ... it's faster because you only jack two spots, instead of four :-D
There is a story behind the car. Do you know it , no. I will give you some credit but not b/c it proves your point Lol. if you need a further shot of that area later I shall, as well the story.

that you see is some rust, yes.

Kev250R

This is my other car
Very thankful we don't have to worry much about rust here in So.Cal. On the roads which get snow up in the mountains the road crews use a combination of sand and crushed volcanic rock (cinders). Makes a bit of a mess when you drive in it but cleans-up easy.

Kevin

fishy, I give advice on the safest, most efficient way to do it. I used to lift and support cars from the scissor jack locations, then I had a minivan buckle in all 4 areas while it was up in the air getting an oil change. Needless to say, it was the last time I lifted a car there, and I recommend to people that still do it, to get out of the habit. Toyota provides two beautiful areas front and rear that are designed for hydraulic jacks, and two rails that are plenty strong enough to support the weight and then some.

fishy, I give advice on the safest, most efficient way to do it. I used to lift and support cars from the scissor jack locations, then I had a minivan buckle in all 4 areas while it was up in the air getting an oil change. Needless to say, it was the last time I lifted a car there, and I recommend to people that still do it, to get out of the habit. Toyota provides two beautiful areas front and rear that are designed for hydraulic jacks, and two rails that are plenty strong enough to support the weight and then some.
Thanks for all the good advice and tips. I will sure use them. As soon as I get a chance. lol

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I look for the Lower idle arm, and I find the two bolts that are to the carriage frame and that was where I lift on my cars. then if I can not I then go for the A frame what you call those straight pillars. And yep I showed a quick area.

In that pic its a 23 year old car went through hell and back. still a safe place to lift in some eyes.

if we had the old bumper jacks, then I say Hell no!

LOL! I remember bumper jacks. On a plastic car you'd rip the cover clean off. Don't think they could be used on any car built in this decade or the last decade.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Well today the newer types now go into the side of the car, this I am sure like you said above a few posts , do not lift from a particular spot.
I rather be lifting from than that side lol. wrong type of road and off you go

While looking for a vid here is an interesting jack point

Last edited by a moderator:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
ABs plastic, or more like a nylon base, but it is in the plastic family.

As long as we lift our cars for emergency road side we are okay, for long haul mechanical repairs a safer method we do want to be aware of.

Ok, So I tested the hydro jack in the front and rear. Front seems to look ok, but in the rear, while i push it lift up, the jack seems to move. How can I prevent the jack from moving? ALso here are the pictures, does this looks right? And I only was able to locate the place where you put the scissor jack, where am I really suppose to put the jack stand if I want to lift the whole car?
Thanks agian

http://s237.photobucket.com/user/soumikcha/slideshow/

Ok, So I tested the hydro jack in the front and rear. Front seems to look ok, but in the rear, while i push it lift up, the jack seems to move. How can I prevent the jack from moving? ALso here are the pictures, does this looks right? And I only was able to locate the place where you put the scissor jack, where am I really suppose to put the jack stand if I want to lift the whole car?
Thanks agian

http://s237.photobucket.com/user/soumikcha/slideshow/
1. You're saying that the jack is rolling? That's normal. If you change the angle (by lifting the vehicle) the jack or the vehicle must roll.

2. Your photobucket account is private.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Does the hydrojack have wheels on it? The pic'syou partially show looks like they got the straight ones in front, and swivals in the rear..

You work on a Solid, leveled ground as best you can. The jack will lift, while go inward as you go, the higher you lift, the more it goes in. the top part will allow it to move ccw and cw.

If you do not know how to use a jack, best seek some next door neighbors help. or a member that is willing to meet you.

Do take your time, do be safe, do ask questions , the only way to learn, but do not make a mistake by just lifting the car without chocking. checking and not being safe.

Last edited:
Yes it does have wheel in front and back but no lock system. I bought it from costco for $99.99. I just tested it , and so far I did not hear any kind of concerning noises. I will see if I can find a friend to show. The pictures are taken after I lifted the car. Also where can I place the jack stand, I am confused about that. As I was only able to locate the scissor jack stand place.
But this is the jack
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Arcan-ALJ2T-Aluminum-Floor-Jack/dp/B00132CGEW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8[/ame]

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Post #12 is where I have done my work for the past 35 plus years. I am sure there are other spots that might be better or can be worse. I am no pro, just your average Joe

ok thanks. Also what can I do to make sure my car dosent slip off the jacks and fall. Is their any kind of precaution I can take. I think my street is going downhill a little by maybe 3-10 degree. which I cant tell by looking. but do want to make some kind of precaution incase it falls of the jack stands. Something can backup the jackstands.lol

Kev250R

This is my other car
If you're doing work on it which requires removing a wheel or wheels (such as a brake job) place the wheels flat on the ground under the car when you remove them. The portion of my driveway where I do most of my work is level and I'm pretty good at placing Jack Stands but when I have the wheels off a car I still put the wheels underneath it, just in case.

As far as Jack stand placement and useage, the best advice I can offer would be to always make sure their level and secure, never raise the car higher than you need it to be, if it won't be in your way leave your jack on the jacking point. For me once I get everything placed on the stands but before I (or anyone else) gets underneath it I give the car a little shove just to make sure everything is secure. Oh, and chock the wheels which are staying on the ground :thumbsup:

Kevin

No idea, but when I have had a car on 4 jackstands, I have never had a car fall off, but I always shake it before removing the tires to be sure the car isn't going anywhere. If it doesn't move when you shake it, the only way it is coming down is if it gets crashed into.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Maybe this will help you, justsomeclips to watch, good luck

as this is for a specific reason

car falls off lift, was in person years ago at site. not this one

Always use A solid platform no matter where you are at, not mother earth!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqBPSO5I4fo"]https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqBPSO5I4fo[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for showing all those horrific fail. But I believe I have a way better jack system and hopefully I or my car dont get hurt. Its about to go down tomorrow. clean everything, and dip the wheels and calipers. Oh btw, I am really pissed only corolla still have drum in rear. Should I dip them black or red? dont want rice.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Thanks for showing all those horrific fail. But I believe I have a way better jack system and hopefully I or my car dont get hurt. Its about to go down tomorrow. clean everything, and dip the wheels and calipers. Oh btw, I am really pissed only corolla still have drum in rear. Should I dip them black or red? dont want rice.
One who does not know what they are doing, should not attempt to do it at all, wait I am no fortune cookie teller. It is best to give you a heads up, than saying hey where did Soumik....go?????

We here at Corolla forums wish you best of luck and hope all works out well..

Dam it Fishy! you jinx it! omfg. I was able to loosen the three tires, but the driver rear wheel nut, well.smh. It broke! wtf. wtf ahh! And I done this before. never had this problem.

I had the tire rotation done at the dealer like few months back. They F**ked it up!ahh

Attachments

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Dam it Fishy! you jinx it! omfg. I was able to loosen the three tires, but the driver rear wheel nut, well.smh. It broke! wtf. wtf ahh! And I done this before. never had this problem.

I had the tire rotation done at the dealer like few months back. They F**ked it up!ahh

yep we all talked about jack stands not lug nuts being crossed threaded. Easily replacable, do not worry bout a $5.00 stud?

Sorry to hear. one step at a time!

lol easy to replace But the three wheels I loosen, all the nuts were extremely stuck. and all the nuts on the last wheel was so stuck I couldn't get it removed. Instead broke one. So I am not touching them. Going to take it to the dealer that rotated my wheels few months back. They better replace all of them. This was a sunny day and could be the last for dipping. ****in A! smh
Btw, is it safe to drive with one broke stud?