2011 Corolla - What Other Oil Can I Use Instead of 0W-20?

For our 2011 Corolla, it calls for 0W20...which is really expensive here in Toronto. I was wondering if I can switch to 5W30 or 5W20, as I can get them for a cheaper price.

I am aware that the interval will be cut shorter. I'm thinking of going 8,000 kms on Valvoline conventional....ideas?

Sludging from using the wrong oil is going to be a LOT more expensive than the savings from using conventional oil.

Stick with synthetic and use what the manual recommends. If you use 0w-20, you only need to change every 10k ... so that helps offset some of the cost, as well as giving you peace of mind.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Price will not differ because you went up/down a grade.

Because there was such a great deal for members no limit, and the oil was a grade off for me I was ready to buy ten cases at 54 cents a quart.

I stick with what works for you and when oil goes on sale, get it.

Here in Nanaimo BC the synthetic is more expensive as well. Do as you wish but if you do not use the oil recommended and something happens Toyota will likely not help to fix for free. You can do your own work (oil change and etc) but keep all documentation and use what manual states to use. As mentioned conventional oil is cheaper but more changes are necessary and then there is the added expense of having to replace an engine on your own dime. Just saying.

Does the manual state any other acceptable oil? Cause $60 for a 4.5 quart bottle of 0W20 is kinda expensive, especially since I don't go past 10,000 kms on oil, regardless of Synthetic or Conventional (Hence why I only use Conventional).

What changed that they spec'd it from 5W30 for the older 1.8's to 0W20?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Does the manual state any other acceptable oil? Cause $60 for a 4.5 quart bottle of 0W20 is kinda expensive, especially since I don't go past 10,000 kms on oil, regardless of Synthetic or Conventional (Hence why I only use Conventional).

What changed that they spec'd it from 5W30 for the older 1.8's to 0W20?
How much is the engine worth?

Yea...I'll just stick with 0W20, just gotta watch when it's on sale or buy across the border.

Out of curiosity, how much quarts of oil does the Corolla take?
You're wise to use the correct oil. Engines cost thousands of dollars.

With the prices I can get you for AMSOIL synthetic motor oil, you can get the best motor oil in the world at a surprisingly low price and probably lower than what you're paying now for 0W-20 synthetic motor oil. Send me a private message for a price quote. I think you'll be pleased. :thumbsup::)

My Online Product Application Guide at my website says your 2011 Corolla takes 4.4 quarts of motor oil with an oil filter -

http://www.amsoil.com/guides.aspx?zo=349698

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!

I will be headed to the states in April, so I will be grabbing a couple bottles of 0W20 as it is cheaper over there than here in Toronto.

By then, there would be less than 10,000 kms on the oil on the car...