2013 Toyota Corolla S Makeing It Into A Race Car

I just recently got my a few months ago and sofar I straight piped it and thats it not sure what eles need to be done beside a cold air intake and could I pull out a lot of HP or any kind of torc if so please tell me how needs some advicce thanks

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Welcome aboard! :thumbsup:

A Corolla is an economy car not a race car or even a high performance car.

In the United States, doing that to a vehicles exhaust system is illegal and punishable with a $4,500 fine, 30 days in jail or both. If your state has annual safety/emissions inspections, an exhaust like that also wont pass inspection.

Last edited:
I don't think much can be done to the engine to gain more power. The Corolla is an economy car, and I suppose if enough money is thrown at it it can be made into a track car, however it then would likely not be street legal. I don't know of many, if any, Corollas are in any racing.

For everyone saying it's an economy car, who cares I'm an owner of an 09 corolla s 5 speed and I take cars on a daily. And did you straight pipe the whole thing?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I find the 2013 S to be very Slugish, I also find it to be better in handling, but I will not comment further about Emmissions.

I have one myself.I have seen websites advertising super,turbo charges.Maybe can purchase A computer chip,etc.Maybe yank off the fuel injector,put on A carb,maybe.You know this stuff will void the warranty.If ya think of more things let me know.I shouldn't have bought this turtle.The 5 speed helps A little,little

Unless he turbo'd it ... probably off to a slow start.

I wonder if he knows that straight pipes actually cut his horsepower because backpressure is needed to scavenge exhaust gasses out of the cylinder...

Turbocharging an engine without first upgrading the structural integrity of the internal parts of the engine, i.e., crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, etc., and also lowering the compression ratio to avoid detonation, as well as O'ringing the block, is asking for a blown engine. Then there's the transmission, differential, brakes, suspension etc. Far more is involved than just bolting on a turbocharger, at least, to do it right. A hairdryer on steroids isn't exactly safe to drive. :eek::)

Last edited:
People are running 8 psi on stock internals (and throwing down 205 at the wheels) with just an upgraded clutch on Corolla and Matrix 1ZZ motors, and have been doing it reliably. Toyota motors are tough, as well as their transmissions and half-shaft assemblies. Apparently the stock fuel injectors and fuel pump can handle it too, which is surprising.

Now if it was a GM product ... that'd be a different story.

It's an economy car engine, transmission, brakes, suspension. It was never designed or intended to be used as a race car or survive the power output and stress of a turbocharger for any length of time.

Economy, as economy cars are designed to do and will do. Asking an economy car to perform like a high performance car can be a description for disaster, including a trip to the hospital or morgue.

That kit doesn't include a high volume oil pump, forged pistons with lower compression, forged connecting rods, or an O-ringed block, which should really be done when upgrading to a turbocharger. Then we have the transmission and axle shafts/CV joints to worry about too, as well as upgrading the brakes and suspension. Turbocharging is a very expensive proposition, to really do it right anyway.

Last edited:
Engine, transmission or axle shaft failures due to turbochargers being installed in an economy car generally don't occur initially, but down the road, thousands of miles later. A Corolla is an economy car, with the engine and transmission not over-designed to withstand the extra power of a turbocharger that it was never designed for. Ditto with the cylinder head gaskets with an engine block that isn't O'ringed and no high volume oil pump for the engine either. Long term, taking shortcuts with turbocharging an engine is a prescription for disaster.

Last edited:

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Engine, transmission or axle shaft failures due to turbochargers being installed in an economy car generally don't occur initially, but down the road, thousands of miles later. A Corolla is an economy car, with the engine and transmission not over-designed to withstand the extra power of a turbocharger that it was never designed for. Ditto with the cylinder head gaskets with an engine block that isn't O'ringed and no high volume oil pump for the engine either. Long term, taking shortcuts with turbocharging an engine is a prescription for disaster.
So is there anyway to make sure this doesn't happen? Would you have to do a full engine rebuild?

So is there anyway to make sure this doesn't happen? Would you have to do a full engine rebuild?
I dont think you would need a full engine rebuild but if you want long term reliability there are many parts inside the engine and drivetrain you would want to replace. Lots of people that turbo a car probly just replace and upgrade parts as they break though.

Most stock engines will handle 6-8 pounds just fine without needing full engine work, and Toyota engines are built strong from the factory.

It's when you go past that when it requires a ton of engine work to make reliable.

Now if it was a Suzuki or an Isuzu, which is a pile and can destroy itself perfectly fine without boost, then I'd say no way in hell it will work.

Actually it is not illegal to straight pipe your car and your not going to do jail time for it. Straight piping it wont make you not pass emissions, if you left your cat on you will be fine. I straight piped my 2013 corolla s and it passes with no problems. Im in the process of doing some head work to it and then going to turbo it. You can run the stock 1.8L at 5 pounds of boost stock and you wont have any problems and will gain HP.