2014 Corolla - Adding Cruise Control

Adding Cruise control function the 2014 Toyota Corolla L.

The Corolla L is already set up for cruise control. You just need to add the switch to the steering wheel.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Many directions say at least 90 seconds but longer is better [10-20min.]. I had it disconnected for over a half hour because it started to rain. But since there is no need to actually disconnect the airbag, there shouldn’t be any trouble. Be careful if you're not sure what you’re doing. Do this at your own risk!

The 2014 corolla uses the same two OEM main parts as the 2013 model:

• Cruise control switch lever/stalk 84632-08021

• Wire harness for cruise control switch 84633-0E020 (old no. 84633-48020)

• Plus two M5 x 12mm .8 thread screws with small flat washers and lock washers.

The steering wheel hole cover (right-side) for Corollas with cruise control was not available at the time I did this. The 2013 cover won't fit. Many 2014 Corolla parts weren't being sold yet online. I may get one when they start selling them. They should only cost you around 3 to 6 dollars online. You'll have to cut a hole in your old one. Use a piece of paper or thin cardboard to create mock-ups until you find the perfect hole location and shape. The plastic is easy to cut with a coping saw. I made my hole square with rounded edges like the 2013 part. You can be creative by gluing some thin rubber, like a piece of inner tube, with slits to cover the opening so the switch operates freely and looks nice.

Follow these directions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLyRH5eSpps

Remove the steering wheel airbag by releasing the three quick-release springs. See the video for locations. The two spring releases in the holes on the bottom and left side of the wheel are hard to find by just feeling around. Look in them in bright light and you'll see a thin, small, straight spring wire. It's chrome or nickel plated. Push that until you get the airbag to release. I used a flat head screwdriver. Be careful not to poke around and damage anything. The right side release is inside the hole cover you should have removed. I just pushed on the tiny black nub I found there and it released.

Don't bother to disconnect the airbag wiring, just carefully place it on top of the center of the steering wheel. Be careful it doesn't fall off and damage the wiring. There's enough room to work inside with the airbag out of the way. It doesn't take long to mount the switch and plug in the wires. I used a little Loctite on the screw threads just to make sure. If you're not good at doing these kinds of things, get someone to help you who is.

The directions from this 2013 Corolla thread may help, with the exception of removing and pushing the airbag back into place. I just snaps in.

Good luck.

http://www.corollaforum.com/showthread.php?t=736
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLyRH5eSpps

Now I may just get an L.....
Decisions, decisions LOL

GJ
You can add keyless entry too. There is even a Toyota kit. But it will require removing panels and cutting into the wiring behind the side kick panel and under the steering wheel. Something I don't want to do.

Yeah, that would be a pain. The car has 3 exterior and 2 interior key detectors , plus the door handles, the trunk release button, and you have to remove the lock cylinder and cover it.

I think Donabed is confusing the smart entry with keyless entry.

Keyless entry is just the button on the key or the fob that lets you press a button to lock/unlock the doors or trunk. Would need a receiver and tie into the lock modules, but shouldn't be too hard to install - about like adding a remote starter.

Smart Entry is the smart fob and pushbutton start, and I could see a fair amount being involved in adding that ...

Thanks for the links - pretty simple install.

I would still want 16-inch tires and automatic climate control from the LE.

Yep, we are spoiled, but keyless entry is one of the few options I would have a hard time doing without (even over cruise control or power windows).

Two reasons:
  • Without keyless entry, there is a potential for scratching the paint with the keys that dangle from the lock cylinder when you are locking/unlocking the door.
  • More importantly - there are times that I am walking away from the car and forget whether or not I locked it. With KE, I just press the button and make sure the taillights flash. Without it, I have to walk back to the car and check it.

Just installed mine
Piece of cake, the hardest part was removing the airbag and that was because I was "overthinking" it.
Just just the little bright metal tabs in.
It helped me to take off the little panel first.
Great cheap upgrade for the "L"

GJ

Just installed mine
Piece of cake, the hardest part was removing the airbag and that was because I was "overthinking" it.
Just just the little bright metal tabs in.
It helped me to take off the little panel first.
Great cheap upgrade for the "L"

GJ
*Gasp* You mean you touched the airbag system and it didn't blow up in your face?!?!?!

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

Adding Cruise control function the 2014 Toyota Corolla L.

The Corolla L is already set up for cruise control. You just need to add the switch to the steering wheel.

Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Many directions say at least 90 seconds but longer is better [10-20min.]. I had it disconnected for over a half hour because it started to rain. But since there is no need to actually disconnect the airbag, there shouldn’t be any trouble. Be careful if you're not sure what you’re doing. Do this at your own risk!

The 2014 corolla uses the same two OEM main parts as the 2013 model:

• Cruise control switch lever/stalk 84632-08021

• Wire harness for cruise control switch 84633-0E020 (old no. 84633-48020)

• Plus two M5 x 12mm .8 thread screws with small flat washers and lock washers.

The steering wheel hole cover (right-side) for Corollas with cruise control was not available at the time I did this. The 2013 cover won't fit. Many 2014 Corolla parts weren't being sold yet online. I may get one when they start selling them. They should only cost you around 3 to 6 dollars online. You'll have to cut a hole in your old one. Use a piece of paper or thin cardboard to create mock-ups until you find the perfect hole location and shape. The plastic is easy to cut with a coping saw. I made my hole square with rounded edges like the 2013 part. You can be creative by gluing some thin rubber, like a piece of inner tube, with slits to cover the opening so the switch operates freely and looks nice.

Follow these directions:

Remove the steering wheel airbag by releasing the three quick-release springs. See the video for locations. The two spring releases in the holes on the bottom and left side of the wheel are hard to find by just feeling around. Look in them in bright light and you'll see a thin, small, straight spring wire. It's chrome or nickel plated. Push that until you get the airbag to release. I used a flat head screwdriver. Be careful not to poke around and damage anything. The right side release is inside the hole cover you should have removed. I just pushed on the tiny black nub I found there and it released.

Don't bother to disconnect the airbag wiring, just carefully place it on top of the center of the steering wheel. Be careful it doesn't fall off and damage the wiring. There's enough room to work inside with the airbag out of the way. It doesn't take long to mount the switch and plug in the wires. I used a little Loctite on the screw threads just to make sure. If you're not good at doing these kinds of things, get someone to help you who is.

The directions from this 2013 Corolla thread may help, with the exception of removing and pushing the airbag back into place. I just snaps in.

Good luck.

http://www.corollaforum.com/showthread.php?t=736
Hi @ wheels sir I want ask a question regarding to this installation I have a corolla 2015 but it's manufactured in Jun 2014 dose this model requires more parts to install the cruise control than in other hand you mention only two parts I belong to Ksa please if you have any information let me know sir thanks