2014 Corolla - Orange Peel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Politics is a dangerous subject in a car forum. Too easy for differing opinions to lead to things getting off topic and personal. I think we can all agree that the ethanol mandate is a mistake and needs to go, though. But if it does get repealed I would be completely stunned.
This forum is rather unique in that we allow any topic of discussion as long as it remains civil. We've never had any problems. Freedom rules here. :thumbsup::)

And this thread is spectacular : from a paint defect to grammar, delocalisation, government and now ethanol!:blink:
On the latter it would take more than page 40 of such a thread to move a soul in Washington or Ottawa:D

Yes, I'm afraid that those who benefit from the ethanol mandate weild a lot more money and thus power than we consumers do. I think the new political landscape in Washington will only serve to give us less of a voice. I notice that the corolla is certified to handle 15% ethanol, let's hope we never get to that.

With ethanol use in gasoline actually hurting the big oil industry, (as a competing product), and hurting the consumer with 10% less fuel economy and driving food prices through the roof, the new political landscape in Washington I think will be much more likely to lean to the side of freedom and get this big government ethanol mandate off the consumers backs.

I don't think its hurting big oil much. The hit in fuel economy pretty much offsets the decrease in actual gasoline content in the fuel. And don't underestimate the power of big ag - mainly ADM. And frankly I don't think anyone who either is or will be in Washington cares much at all about what we think. Plus state regulations also play a role

Last edited:
Not everyone is evil, including politicians. :)
Of course not. Most of them work hard for the peope they represent.
But don't underestimate the power of lobbies. Mainly because they are far more organised and focused than "the people".
They have the means to influence the public opinion thus those seeking election. And those with bigger means prevail.
There is a reason why ethanol ended up promoted by both republicans and democrats in US (and Canada always follows US transport regulations because of free trade).
The hope is that now that the big oil companies don't need to cut the gas with something they are actually teaming with environmental groups :eek: to have the law changed... (Altough on the long term, they might be wrong).
So more politicians might begin to think that it's the thing to do.

Last edited:
Of course not. Most of them work hard for the peope they represent.
But don't underestimate the power of lobbies. Mainly because they are far more organised and focused than "the people".
They have the means to influence the public opinion thus those seeking election. And those with bigger means prevail.
There is a reason why ethanol ended up promoted by both republicans and democrats in US (and Canada always follows US transport regulations because of free trade).
The hope is that now that the big oil companies don't need to cut the gas with something they are actually teaming with environmental groups :eek: to have the law changed... (Altough on the long term, they might be wrong).
So more politicians might begin to think that it's the thing to do.
Not to mention that in the US because of the Citizens United Supreme Court travesty, mega corps and lobbies are people and " donations" are free speech protected by the first amendment. Unfortunately, money influences and usually wins elections. Not only are the lobbies and special interests much more organized, they have MUCH more money to throw into the elections and then get paid back for their generosity with legislation that favors their interests. Nobody in office cares that we are getting 10 % less fuel economy because of ethanol. If it were ever to get repealed, it won't be because of "freedom" or " listening to the people", at least not until we have radical campaign and election reform. This is the worst side of capitalism. Remember, democracy is a form of government, capitalism is an economic system. They are not equivalent. And capitalism, especially the degraded type we have now in the US favors the rich and powerful by definition.

Sorry for being so political, especially after suggesting we stay free from it, but since its fair game, figured I'd put my two cents in.

hijacked thread

I see another thread talking about keeping on the original topic yea right look at this thread hijacked how many times? With how many different topics unrelated to the original post?

Status
Not open for further replies.