2014 Corolla - Orange Peel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually it is, but double check with them. If it occurred from use of improper cleaners, then they won't cover it.[/QUI worjTE]

I used the same product I used on my previous vehicles I noticed about a month or two after getting it that the car has orange peel all over it but I work third and don't always think about and remember it. I always thought orange peel came during the paint process not during the cleaning process. I don't use any abrasive product's the car looks great and shiny far off but looks orange peel up close with a black car it's noticeable at least to me my family and friends say because I'm a big car guy. But I want my car looking good as I can and orange peel on a black car doesn't .

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Well I'd contact Toyota Inc. directly and skip the dealer, who is independent of Toyota.

I don't see why paint wouldn't be covered. Look in your owners manual in the warranty section.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

I am a painter and when you or the robot sprays the car and orange peel happens it is usually the needle in the spray gun needs to be replaced
....now fisheye in paint is caused because it wasn't cleaned properly and there was some sort of oil residue on the sub straight and yes it has to be covered because it is a defect in the paint from when it was built

I am a painter and when you or the robot sprays the car and orange peel happens it is usually the needle in the spray gun needs to be replaced
....now fisheye in paint is caused because it wasn't cleaned properly and there was some sort of oil residue on the sub straight and yes it has to be covered because it is a defect in the paint from when it was built
Here's a couple of pictures the whole cars looks like this basically

Attachments

Wow, that to me looks like a pretty bad case of orange peel in the paint. That doesn't look good at all. I recommend contacting Toyota Inc. right away and having a file opened for your Corolla. The contact information for the Toyota Warranty Department should be right in your owners manual. Below is also a link you can use to contact them -

http://www.toyota.com/support/contact.html

How old is this car and how many miles are on it?

Wow, that to me looks like a pretty bad case of orange peel in the paint. That doesn't look good at all. I recommend contacting Toyota Inc. right away and having a file opened for your Corolla. The contact information for the Toyota Warranty Department should be right in your owners manual. Below is also a link you can use to contact them -

http://www.toyota.com/support/contact.html

How old is this car and how many miles are on it?
Yea I know you see it looks good from a distance but close up you see how bad the orange peel is. I have close to 5,700 miles on it I got it in January I noticed it about 2-3 months after getting it when I waxed it. Think it's covered under warranty?

Yes, I think so.

Stand your ground. You didn't pay thousands of dollars for a brand new car to have a defective paint finish like that.

Contact Toyota Inc. directly for a warranty claim.

I think that orange peel is ridiculously bad.

I would not mention that you noticed it 2-3 months after buying the car, as their comeback, (and way out of covering it under warranty), will be, "Well then why didn't you contact us then?"

I also wouldn't recommend you mention anything at all about waxing the car or anything else you have done with the shine of the paint, otherwise they are very likely to blame it on the wax, etc

"I bought my Corolla and didn't notice this at first, but now I have noticed really bad orange peel in the paint. This is not normal and I want this covered under warranty".

Keep it simple.

I know I'm definitely not an expert but I've worked on my own vehicles enough year's to know there's nothing I could've done to cause this it happens in the paint process I didn't think I had to look over a brand new vehicle with a fine tooth comb but guess you do these days. The whole car looks like that basically the fusion I had before this was black also and it didn't javr have the orange peel and it was a 2010

Have you contacted Toyota Inc. about this yet?
Yea they said as long as I didn't cause the damage it's under warranty I told her there's no way for me to cause orange peel it's done during the paint process she said it's covered then since it's a factory defect. Waiting to see if the man who's supposed to hopefully fix my tpms light tomorrow before going in case they need to keep the car a couple days

A complete stripping of the old paint and repainting of the car will be in order.

Good to hear they stand behind the warranty! :thumbsup:
Now see if the dealership will I know they will either have to wet/color sand and polish and buff it out to get rid of it but don't know if new cars have enough clear to accomplish it. Hopefully the dealership will stand behind it like the lady for Toyota said.

Now see if the dealership will I know they will either have to wet/color sand and polish and buff it out to get rid of it but don't know if new cars have enough clear to accomplish it. Hopefully the dealership will stand behind it like the lady for Toyota said.
The dealership has no choice. They must do what the Toyota Warranty Department tells them to. Toyota Inc. should be contacting your local Toyota dealership for you and making all the necessary arrangements for you, (you shouldn't have to do anything), including a loaner car while your car is repainted. If they wet sand the car, they are removing factory original paint, leaving you with a thinner protective paint surface than other Corolla's have. Not good. That's not what you paid for when you bought a new car.

Repaint.

The dealership has no choice. They must do what the Toyota Warranty Department tells them to. Toyota Inc. should be contacting your local Toyota dealership for you and making all the necessary arrangements for you, (you shouldn't have to do anything), including a loaner car while your car is repainted. If they wet sand the car, they are removing factory original paint, leaving you with a thinner protective paint surface than other Corolla's have. Not good. That's not what you paid for when you bought a new car.

Repaint.
I hope they'll get it right I've heard other people who bought vehicles from the same dealership who sells Chrysler vehicles have a similar issue with it and they messed up the truck. Wondering if they do the paint work themselves or have a body shop do it.

If they can't repair the defect correctly, then you can start looking at forcing Toyota to take the car back via your states Lemon Law, providing you a 100% refund.

Last edited:
Again, I strongly recommend not confusing the issue and handing Toyota an excuse not to honor the paint warranty by telling them you did anything with the shine of the paint at all. It's opening up a can of worms you don't need to and there's no benefit to it.

Keep it simple. "The paint is defective". Period.

Yeeeesh ... that's brutal.

I gotta go into Toyota tomorrow ... they trashed the instrument cluster bezel while replacing the radio under warranty. Why they thought they needed to remove that to replace the radio is beyond me ... I wouldn't be mad if they would have fessed up to it (we've all done it), but acting like I wouldn't see that, is insane.

Again, I strongly recommend not confusing the issue and handing Toyota an excuse not to honor the paint warranty by telling them you did anything with the shine of the paint at all. It's opening up a can of worms you don't need to and there's no benefit to it.

Keep it simple. "The paint is defective". Period.
Yeah you know there going to try and do everything they can to get out of it if they can.

I gotta go into Toyota tomorrow ... they trashed the instrument cluster bezel while replacing the radio under warranty. Why they thought they needed to remove that to replace the radio is beyond me ... I wouldn't be mad if they would have fessed up to it (we've all done it), but acting like I wouldn't see that, is insane.
Very shoddy work by some Toyota technician. Someone is in the wrong line of work!

Taking out the factory stereo is really easy just pullout the the panel with the a.c. vents and four bolts. There's no reason to pull the instrument cluster out I can take pictures of the panel off and the dash without it and the four bolts.

New car paint isn't what it used to be.

Yours looks worse than most, but I've been on Ford/Dodge dealer lots looking at new cars that had orange peel bad enough that if it were 20 years ago and the car was used, I wouldn't buy it b/c it looked like it had been wrecked and re-painted (badly).

The new paint formulations don't help anything either ...

New car paint isn't what it used to be.

Yours looks worse than most, but I've been on Ford/Dodge dealer lots looking at new cars that had orange peel bad enough that if it were 20 years ago and the car was used, I wouldn't buy it b/c it looked like it had been wrecked and re-painted (badly).

The new paint formulations don't help anything either ...
You dont really notice unless you look at an angle and close up almost the whole car looks like that hoping they'll fix it under warranty and make it look right.

Taking out the factory stereo is really easy just pullout the the panel with the a.c. vents and four bolts. There's no reason to pull the instrument cluster out I can take pictures of the panel off and the dash without it and the four bolts.
I know how to pull the radio, but I'm not doing their warranty work for them, LOL!

Very shoddy work by some Toyota technician. Someone is in the wrong line of work!
Yeah no kidding. I wasn't happy. They have to order a new bezel and will call me when it gets in, and I intend to examine the car with a microscope when I get it back to make sure they didn't screw up anything else. I put a mark in my dome light trim when I swapped out to LED but I was able to blend it in with sandpaper. With these marks ... there ain't no repairing.

That's bull feathers and you know it. Have them show you other new Corolla's with orange peel. Even if they could, that doesn't matter. Orange peel is not, "normal".

Contact Toyota Inc. directly and demand they take care of the defective paint job. They need to have you speak to the Toyota Zone Representative.

That's bull feathers and you know it. Have them show you other new Corolla's with orange peel. Even if they could, that doesn't matter. Orange peel is not, "normal".

Contact Toyota Inc. directly and demand they take care of the defective paint job. They need to have you speak to the Toyota Zone Representative.
I know it is they showed me another black corolla it had some but not like mine she said it's the texture of the paint not orange peel and not a defect

You need to contact Toyota Inc. directly. The Toyota dealership doesn't mean anything, as they are not part of Toyota Inc., but are an independent franchise.

The Toyota Zone Representative works directly for Toyota Inc. and that's that person that needs to look at your car. Orange peel is not, "normal". Defects are not, "normal".

You need to contact Toyota Inc. directly. The Toyota dealership doesn't mean anything, as they are not part of Toyota Inc., but are an independent franchise.

The Toyota Zone Representative works directly for Toyota Inc. and that's that person that needs to look at your car. Orange peel is not, "normal". Defects are not, "normal".
I know according to the lady in the service department said its not orange peel it's the texture of the paint I'm going to call Toyota again when I get off work.

Last edited:
Get the zone rep involved.

If necessary - threaten to park your car across the street and stop everybody going to the dealership and show them what your car looks like and that the dealer refuses to fix it, etc.

I know according to the lady in the service department said its not orange peel it's the texture of the paint I'm going to call Toyota again when I get off work.
The lady in the Service Dept. doesn't work for Toyota, nor are they a trained body/paint technician.

The finish of a vehicle doesn't have a, "texture". It's supposed to be smooth as glass. Period.

Just from the pictures of your car, it can be seen that the orange peel problem is very bad.

The opinion of an independent body shop means zero.

Call Toyota Inc., tell them the problem with the car, that you're not a happy camper and that you want to meet with the Toyota Zone Representative for them to look at your car and have this paint issue taken care of under warranty. Do not confuse the issue with what the lady in the Service Dept. said. It's irrelevant, as again they are not a trained body/paint technician and they don't work for Toyota.

Concur - you need to talk to the Zone rep. What the service lady says doesn't mean anything. What the body shop says doesn't mean much - but could be mentioned if it supports fixing the issue.

What may mean something is "I bought this car and it looks terrible and if it isn't corrected, I will never buy another Toyota product and I will tell everyone I know who might be considering a Toyota what a horrible experience I received and urge them to buy something different."

The problem is I'm not sure exactly what they can do. It might be able to be buffed out. Otherwise - I'm not sure they even can strip it down to primer and re-paint it and match the quality of the original paint before the car was assembled.

You might end up just looking for a cash settlement or some other consolation ...

A co-worker of mine has a 4Runner in black, and he has bad orange peel as well (and it is really bad at the base of the doors, and I mean REALLY bad).

I see it in mine as well but my car is white so it isn't nearly as obvious (and still not that bad).

Seems Toyota is having some serious quality control issues regarding the paint on their vehicles!

"Texture".:wacko::rolleyes::blink::no::thumbdown::lol::mad::furious:

Status
Not open for further replies.