2014 Corolla Sport - Should I Keep the Stock Rims for Winter?

Hi All,

I have the 2014 corolla sport upgrade package. I was wondering, do I need to change my stock rims (ohh they're so sexy!) for the winter time? Like, get hubcaps to prevent snow from getting into the inside?

I plan on keeping the stock all seasons as it's already snowed quite a bit here (Toronto, Canada) and they seem to be holding up okay.

Thanks!

i would get another set of cheap rims. It will be cheaper in the long run to avoid paying for two mount and balances every year. Plus much less chance of damaging your good wheels with more tire changes. Plus, you can put your winters on right when you want and no have to make an appointment. Easy choice for me with each car I've owned. And if you buy a package on line, you'll save some money and they'll come already mounted on the wheels and balanced, a savings right there.

Edit: Sorry I misread your post, thought you were also getting winter tires, so please disregard. Man, I wouldn't want to take on a Canadian winter with the factory all seasons. I won't even take on central PA winters without winter tires.

Last edited:
I wouldn't change the rims.
If salt is used on the roads, just clean them once in a while, as you would do for the rest of the car.
My experience is that you are far more at risk for damage by having a "technician" changing the rims every season (plus the time needed and cumulative cost).
Which, by the way is the main reason - not protection - many using winter tires prefer dedicated wheels.
On the other hand, I wouldn't go without winter tires either. If all seasons are "fine", then winter tires would be "great".
Don't think hubcap is an option, plus salty water, if that's what you're afraid of, would still get to them and have less of a chance to evaporate.