2015 Corolla - How to Remove Gauge Cluster?

koby

Planning on running led switchbacks up front and switching the rears to red. Need to throw a new relay in to stop hyper flash, I found it behind the gauge cluster and dont even know where to start to get it out and to the relay. Anyone have pointers on this or have done it before? :huh:

The relay is just a pass-through for high current by allowing control with low current. Not sure if changing the relay will stop ricer flash but if it works, I'd love to see a write-up on it!

Changing the cluster is a bit of a pain, and you'll want body panel tools for this or you'll put an impression on the soft dashboard surface if you try it with a screwdriver wrapped in electrical tape (I was able to massage the impression out but it took time).

The panel to the right of the instrument cluster has to be removed (it's the one that contains the clock and the center vents). Work your way around slowly with the panel tool to pop off the clips.

The panel to the left of the instrument cluster (opposite of right side) needs to be removed as well.

Then, you'll lower the steering wheel as far as you can, and use the panel tool to pop off the instrument cluster bezel (start from the top and work to the bottom evenly between the sides to prevent damaging the lower bezel trim pieces).

Once that is out, you'll see the 4 bolts holding the cluster in (8mm or 10mm ... can't remember), and you'll have two connectors to remove.

koby

Thank you for this, there is a company that makes a relay for toyota/ scion that claims to stop the flash in up to four leds. its only 10 dollars so i figure why not try it out.

Thank you for this, there is a company that makes a relay for toyota/ scion that claims to stop the flash in up to four leds. its only 10 dollars so i figure why not try it out.
Gotta be careful. If the relay is cheap crap and it blows, it can take the LEDs with it.

The relay is just a pass-through for high current by allowing control with low current. Not sure if changing the relay will stop ricer flash but if it works, I'd love to see a write-up on it!

Changing the cluster is a bit of a pain, and you'll want body panel tools for this or you'll put an impression on the soft dashboard surface if you try it with a screwdriver wrapped in electrical tape (I was able to massage the impression out but it took time).

The panel to the right of the instrument cluster has to be removed (it's the one that contains the clock and the center vents). Work your way around slowly with the panel tool to pop off the clips.

The panel to the left of the instrument cluster (opposite of right side) needs to be removed as well.

Then, you'll lower the steering wheel as far as you can, and use the panel tool to pop off the instrument cluster bezel (start from the top and work to the bottom evenly between the sides to prevent damaging the lower bezel trim pieces).

Once that is out, you'll see the 4 bolts holding the cluster in (8mm or 10mm ... can't remember), and you'll have two connectors to remove.

You can always lay painters tape on top and below the panels you will be removing, it helps greatly!

That isn't the relay, but the flasher.

The 2014+ Corolla doesn't have them. It is imbedded into the instrument cluster. I plan on finding a hack for this when I finish my class in March.

DJ, yeah, you COULD do load resistors, but it makes the wiring look ugly pretty quick (plus defeats the benefit of power savings).

koby

That isn't the relay, but the flasher.

The 2014+ Corolla doesn't have them. It is imbedded into the instrument cluster. I plan on finding a hack for this when I finish my class in March.

DJ, yeah, you COULD do load resistors, but it makes the wiring look ugly pretty quick (plus defeats the benefit of power savings).
alright, ill continue my research as well. Id rather do one thing as well instead on having to wire in four load resistors. :thumbdown: