2015 Corolla S Horn?/FM Static

Hi. I just bought the Corolla S last week and the only 2 complaints I have are 1- the horn. I couldn't scare a mouse with it. I just got back from the dealer and he said that the Db is very high and it is more effective than a normal horn. I disagree. Is there an after market someone could suggest? And, 2-my FM stations have a lot of static. Sounds Like AM. The dealer said thst the antenna is in the top of the rear window. And if I'm running my rear defroster it could be causing interference? Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Todd

With other cars, do you notice a similar amount of static on FM? I haven't heard of a rear defroster causing interference. The defroster is a DC circuit. DC doesn't typically cause RF interference like AC.

You could have a loose connection on your antenna at either the radio or the antenna connector itself.

I would take the car back to the dealer and have them compare the reception in your car with another Corolla they have on the lot. That would be a like-for-like comparison of performance of the radio reception.

Of course, it may just be the area you live, the broadcast power of the local stations, or terrain issues.

On an aftermarket horn, JC Whitney has several (http://www.jcwhitney.com/horns/c2545j1s17.jcwx) but you can probably find other sites that sell them.

I notice i get far more static when driving by semi's.
From what I understand, thats the same thing you get when you have a large metal building between the antenna and a repeater. The metal in the trailer doesn't allow the radio waves to transmit through it. Someone who knows more about radio waves can feel free to correct me.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

The metal reflects the airwaves. What happens, is you get one signal that is timed properly, and the same frequency signal that is a second delayed from the reflection. That is what causes the static.

The FM antennae integrated into the rear window isn't as good as the ones that stood up from the roof, fender, or rear-quarter, but yes, definitely go back to the dealership and compare it to other Corollas to see if you do indeed have issues.

With other cars, do you notice a similar amount of static on FM? I haven't heard of a rear defroster causing interference. The defroster is a DC circuit. DC doesn't typically cause RF interference like AC.

You could have a loose connection on your antenna at either the radio or the antenna connector itself.

I would take the car back to the dealer and have them compare the reception in your car with another Corolla they have on the lot. That would be a like-for-like comparison of performance of the radio reception.

Of course, it may just be the area you live, the broadcast power of the local stations, or terrain issues.

On an aftermarket horn, JC Whitney has several (http://www.jcwhitney.com/horns/c2545j1s17.jcwx) but you can probably find other sites that sell them.
High voltage pulsed DC (seen in ignition systems) can cause radio interference, but this was more of an issue on older cars than it is on modern cars.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
get a second horn and attach to the original, you will notice a big difference.

Buy a FM booster, or get unlimited data pkg and listen to Iheart.

Radio sucks with the reception, 2010 owner and 2007's and 91 were and are the better.

The dealer was correct

This morning I took my daughter to school and the rear window was frosted. I turned on the rear defroster and had the FM on. It had a lot of static. I turned off the rear defroster and the static went away immediately. I kept turning it on and off and it was consistent every time. Is this something they can fix? they will probably tell me to deal with it. Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your awesome feedback.:clap: This forum is Great!

Todd

In all the years I've been driving and all the vehicles I have driven, I have never once had this radio static problem happen when the rear window defroster is turned on.

Something is wrong and it's not acceptable to pay thousands and thousands of dollars for a brand new car and have a problem like that. Period.

Demand it be repaired under warranty. If after three attempts they can't repair the problem, you can probably force them to take the car back and provide you a complete refund by using the Lemon Law. Might want to mention that to them and suddenly they'll work real hard on repairing the problem for you! :thumbsup::)

Don't stand for being ripped off.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
the fix will be like Scott said, to the dealer, you can feel for the plug, under or behind the radio, to see if it is connected. bet there is a tear in the line
Electronics. wonder if a supressor is needed

Last edited:
This morning I took my daughter to school and the rear window was frosted. I turned on the rear defroster and had the FM on. It had a lot of static. I turned off the rear defroster and the static went away immediately. I kept turning it on and off and it was consistent every time. Is this something they can fix? they will probably tell me to deal with it. Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your awesome feedback.:clap: This forum is Great!

Todd
This sounds lime a grounding problem or RF (radio frequency interference). These can be difficult to track down. I've been through it with high end stereo equipment. RF is usually solved by shielding the antenna and wiring, not easy to do in a car. You could have a loose ground connection on the radio, or it may be a poor wiring design. If you don't get the same noise when playing a CD with the defroster on, its a RF problem being emitted by the defroster. I'd agree with Scott, make the dealer fix it, but don't expect it to be easy.

Absolutely keep on them until its fixed. It might not be easy to track down so it may tame some time. Likely you will need a new radio or new defroster or new wiring harness. At least its something that is easy to tell if its fixed or not so there should be no "could not replicate problem". Fortunately or unfortunately, we don't have any FM stations here that are worth listening to, I play XM or music from my phone through the aux in and I haven't event tried the fm radio yet.

Defroster Static

I'm having the same issue - radio static when rear defroster is turned on. The service department told me they have to file a report with Toyota because they don't have case files or repair procedures for the 2015's yet. They suspect the fix will be to change an electronic module, or possible the entire rear windshield. Meanwhile I just wasted a Saturday morning, and I expect more wasted time to come.
Does a trip to the dealership in which the situation was evaluated, but work wasn't actually performed still count as the first of 3 strikes? Or do I have to go through 3 actual repair procedures?

If you have a service order writeup describing the problem, yes that should count as one of the three. Man that sucks, a new back windshield! It sounds like at least some other people have the same problem. How does stuff like this make it through engineering and QC? You would think on prototypes and early production models, they'd be testing everything with a fine tooth comb, apparently not. I'm gonna see if mine does it. I don't listen to FM so I wouldn't probably bother with a fix if its a new windshield. Too much chance of damage to the car or an air or water leak to justify for me. Come on Toyota, no service instructions for a model that's in its second year, the 2015 isn't different from the 2014 except for the rear cupholders and front grill color!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Yeah you will get a new car with the three strike system but there are rues that apply and, it has to be met, not just going in three times, that said best of luck to you on this.

Last edited:
And still, some are laughing at Consumer Reports for considering infotainement system as a criteria for reliability...
Electrics/electronics glitches are the hardest to spot and repair.
They aren't just a matter of updating a firmware...:no:

Just as with lemon law. Great pressure tool, but, as fishycomics said, it is not as simple as 1-2-3-You're out.
Local laws varies but they generally include first a mandatory arbitration, than a proof to the satisfaction of the court that the defect "substantially" impair the use, value, or safety of the motor vehicle.
Epic debates surges in forums on the meaning of "substantially", imagine what a bunch of lawyers coud do with such a world in court...:mad:
Ever wondered why winning lemon law procedures still make the news ?

Last edited:
And still, some are laughing at Consumer Reports for considering infotainement system as a criteria for reliability...
Electrics/electronics glitches are the hardest to spot and repair.
They aren't just a matter of updating a firmware...:no:

Just as with lemon law. Great pressure tool, but, as fishycomics said, it is not as simple as 1-2-3-You're out.
Local laws varies but they generally include first a mandatory arbitration, than a proof to the satisfaction of the court that the defect "substantially" impair the use, value, or safety of the motor vehicle.
Epic debates surges in forums on the meaning of "substantially", imagine what a bunch of lawyers coud do with such a world in court...:mad:
Ever wondered why winning lemon law procedures still make the news ?
Yeah, lemon laws are not simple and generally are written to make the customer go through a lot of hoops. And,exactly, the defects must be "substantial", whether radio static or paint quality would qualify is certainly in question.

I'd like to research how many actual lemon law victories there are, if Ican find out i'all post it.

Found out that no statistics on success is really kept. Mainly because of confusion over what actually constitutes a victory. It appears that the vast majority of suits that are at least somewhat successful result in cash and extended warranties are awarded, but not buyback. One attorneys site listed their last 100 "victories", only one was a buyback because of repeated total transmission failure. None of the victories were over rather minor problems. I'm not an expert, just relaying what i found. I think the vast majority of these cases are decided in arbitration in sort of a " plea bargain". So it's no panacea for buyers, that's for sure

fishycomics

Super Moderator
As when Toyota feels fit, they will release an "unsatisfactory warranty", offer you an option and if you are Satasfied. you just move on. If not you bring the car in for a fix, at Toyota's expense.

You place a sticker on your car, done. for your issue with your radio, unplug the antennae, plugin an aftermarket radio, it works, your radio is that culprit. These are not the best radio's on the market, for Toyota.

Solution!

Service called me back and told me they had to call California to report this issue because it's a new car with a new issue. They told me that the rear defroster is interfering with the antenna. They have a new rear window coming in tomorrow and will replace it. And their giving me a loaner car. I will let you know if it corrects the problem.

Todd

Kev250R

This is my other car
I wonder if Toyota has a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for this problem? If they do replacing the rear window may be part of it.

Kevin

Service called me back and told me they had to call California to report this issue because it's a new car with a new issue. They told me that the rear defroster is interfering with the antenna. They have a new rear window coming in tomorrow and will replace it. And their giving me a loaner car. I will let you know if it corrects the problem.

Todd
Ugh, I wouldn't like that. Be sure to check your car carefully when you get it back because its easy to cause damage removing a windshield, scratch paint or interior, etc. And keep an eye for water leaks fora little while.

Worried

I know. My biggest worry is water leaks. It's only less than 2 weeks old. I didn't exp this from Toyota. At least they were very nice and informative about what was going on. And they gave me a loaner car. They said they are overnighting the window and will have it done tomorrow. I will go over the car thoroughly. And test the radio/defroster immediately. Thank you everyone and I will let you know tomorrow if everything is good to go.

As long as they do the job right, you should be OK. The windshield replacement technology has improved a lot and the glass will be OEM so should be perfect fit. I finally got around to checking my car for this problem today, first time I've even tried the FM radio, didn't have the problem. Mines a 2014 ECO from Canada. Good luck, hope it all turns out well. Sounds like they're trying to do right by you.

No show!

I'm happy that yoyes is fixed. I hope I have the same outcome.
Sorry guys. The people never showed up to install my rear window. Toyota apologized and said it would be completed on Monday. I'll pick it up most likely on Tuesday morning. I'll keep you posted.

I'm happy that yoyes is fixed. I hope I have the same outcome.
Sorry guys. The people never showed up to install my rear window. Toyota apologized and said it would be completed on Monday. I'll pick it up most likely on Tuesday morning. I'll keep you posted.
That's disappointing. I'm surprised they subcontract that out. Who just doesn't show up for work? I think I'd be asking for an extra perk or two for the inconvenience.

It's Fixed!

Just picked up my car. They replaced the rear window. Now the radio and all the stations are clear. And they gave me a Sienna mini van as a rental for 4 days which worked out for me because I needed to pick up a snow blower and it fit very nicely in the back. Thank you for all the feedback.

Just picked up my car. They replaced the rear window. Now the radio and all the stations are clear. And they gave me a Sienna mini van as a rental for 4 days which worked out for me because I needed to pick up a snow blower and it fit very nicely in the back. Thank you for all the feedback.
Great. Sometimes thinks work out well for the good guys