2015 toyota corolla L 4 speed transmission problem

I got 15 Corolla L with 4 speed and having some transmission problem. going highway speed and at 4th gear and I step on the gas to speed up and I have to press deep for my transmission to act, my transmission clunks/bangs in to gear hard thought my transmission was gonna crack it's that hard and bad. Anyone with similar issue? suggestions? only happens from 4th to 3rd.

I got 15 Corolla L with 4 speed and having some transmission problem. going highway speed and at 4th gear and I step on the gas to speed up and I have to press deep for my transmission to act, my transmission clunks/bangs in to gear hard thought my transmission was gonna crack it's that hard and bad. Anyone with similar issue? suggestions? only happens from 4th to 3rd.
can you shift it manually?

can you shift it manually?
yes I can shift manually via shifter. Again when from 4 to 3rd manually it sometimes bang into gear more often than not. I'm afraid my transmission will fail question is when. Low speed shift is smooth but around highway driving and when i need more power to speed up for pass someone my transmission just doesn't act, when it does it does bang into gear.

sure that's why I bought it, but it's one of my many cars. Dealer of course say everything is all good, could not duplicate...just figure any other 4 speed out there have similar issues.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
sure that's why I bought it, but it's one of my many cars. Dealer of course say everything is all good, could not duplicate...just figure any other 4 speed out there have similar issues.
The 4 speed in the 11th gen is the same as the one in the 10th gen. MY 4 speed is working great so you might want to bring it to another dealer and show them exactly whats wrong. Does the problem happen occasionally or does it happen every time?

it is more often than not, it only happens when auto shift from 4 to 3rd gear going highway speed, going up hill or passing I press the gas pedal and I press deep it just doesn't seem to downshift smoothly, but it bang into gear. I don't drive this car my family member drive this car, he brought to my attention.

I don't see anything problematic. Seems normal to me. You're really gunning it hard, downshifts are going to be less smooth as a result. If you're concerned, I would suggest driving a little more conservatively. Or opting for a manual trans. But I don't think you have a problematic car..

Last edited:
I definitely think you need to quit trying to pass people so aggressively. Cruise control is your friend. Also, it's the same transmission in 10th gens and maybe even before that. Now that is a bit of a jolt but it seems like its driven hard to do that. Probably just getting clunky over time/abuse.

I never noticed that in the 4 speed auto from my previous Corolla. It was slow to react, and not always very smooth with quick throttle changes. But it never felt like it was clunking in gear. Maybe have another dealership give you a second opinion. That can't be right.

First I'm not gunning my gas pedal hard, what you hear is transmission clunking into gear, this is me pressing my gas pedal smoothly till my car downshift, normal operating downshift. I also use cruise control and this is how my car downshift. I get 36mpg according to my on board comp...so this car is being driven conservatively.

Last edited:
Guess after posting video, no one can argue im driving rough. Heh. Went to dealer and told him of my transmission issue. He suggested atf flush which i agreed and wanted. Tech went out for test drive before and could notice rough/sluggish shift. Long story short after flush and most likely some tech touch its smooth. I tried to duplicate rough condition on same road, condition but could not duplicate. So im satisfied. Only cost me $185. Hope it doesnt come back.

Glad that fixed it. It's normal for a downshift to be a bit jerky in an automatic but you shouldn't be hearing noises from it. It wasn't as bad as you made it sound to be (but that could also be the camera mic muffling the sound), but still, any type of a clunk or banging is bad.

I definitely think you need to quit trying to pass people so aggressively. Cruise control is your friend. Also, it's the same transmission in 10th gens and maybe even before that. Now that is a bit of a jolt but it seems like its driven hard to do that. Probably just getting clunky over time/abuse.
I beat the hell out of my cars. It shouldn't matter how I drive. The car should be manufactured to work within its specifications and if the engine is bone stock, flooring it shouldn't break anything or cause abnormal noises, period. If I buy a car and floor it to pass somebody and the transmission explodes, the fault doesn't lie with me.

2016 does the same thing. It shook so hard that I thought I would lose control of the car.

I have the same problem with a 2016. The dealership took my 2015 which had the same issue. Instead of fixing, they talked me into a 2016 for a nice deal. Now at 30,000 miles the 2016 does the same thing. It happens going uphill and attempting minimal acceleration. Starting point between 40 - 50 mph. By the sound, you would think you dropped a drive shaft.

My 2015 Corolla does the exact same thing. It is not aggressive driving. Mine does it when I am going up a slight incline and then try to accelerate. Literally feels like the whole transmission is about to fall out!

My 2016 Corolla CE has the same problem. When driving in traffic on a couple of long hills on my work route, the car will be sluggish around 80km/hr, start to shift and then make a violent thump into third gear. People in the car actually "jump" like somebody hit the car with a hammer. I plan on taking it to my dealer, but the transmission works fine under normal conditions. I wish there was a bulletin, but this page is the only thing I have found to date.