2016 Corolla, would you hand wash it or car wash?

So I got the blue 2016 and Im debating to whether I should hand wash my car or take to a car wash. My main concern is Ive heard that the clear coat comes off when taking it to a car wash and, it also adds scratches to your car little by little. The one I kinda like here is called soapy joes. Pretty much self serve, you go through the car wash yourself and it does everything for you, even adds armor-all to your tires! Once you come out of the car wash you can vacuum your car and hand dry it with towels or they provide a air hose for you. I will leave you guys a link to see what the car wash comes with and let me know if its worth taking my car there.

This one is $14 each time or $35 a month unlimited washes... Thank you for looking and have a good one!
  • Foam wash
  • Thunder Falls:
    Rinse & cure spot free
  • Vortex Dry:
    High power turbine blow-dry
  • Air Freshener:
    Citrus scent air freshener
  • Rain Repellent:
    Water and rain repellent
  • Tire Shine:
    Super shine tire gloss
  • Triple Conditioner:
    Low-Ph triple foam conditioner
  • Wax:
    Pure carnauba liquid wax
  • Magic Seal:
    Clear coat paint sealant
  • Magic Glaze:
    Paint protection glaze

I have something similar here where im from i pay $22.95 a month for unlimited car washes, same basic idea as what you have out there, my car is super white and after maybe a year of washing maybe 2-3 a week, i do have light scratches in certain sun light that are noticeable but nothing horriblely drastic, but after a legit buff and polish the car looks great. My wife has a 2013 with the black paint and her scratches from the car wash are very noticeable. But then again its black. And she never buffed or polished hers since she got it. As for me i just accepted the fact that i will take care of my car as best as i can but chips on the paint and light scratches are almost inevitable. If you use the car and drive on the freeway/highway every once ina while it's just gonna happen. Unless you invest on the clear bra which i heard is great but too late for me now haha.

Yeah I agree. It's 100% non-preventable but you can help it by doing it by hand and making sure that is has a good coat of wax on it every year. I noticed a chip by my hood that was starting to rust. I put some touch up paint there. Not the best idea but it is better then doing nothing at all I suppose. It's going to happen. After all cars are meant to be driven.

Thank you for the advice! I was thinking of using couple products from Chemical Guys! It sucks how were just waiting on the door dinks and random scratches to happen, because like you guys said, its IMPOSSBILE to not get them!

What do you guys to armor-all the interior?

HanSolo

My philosophy has been that it is a Corolla, not a Ferrari. I suppose that some people really enjoy the personal and sensual nature of bonding with your car by hand washing it, but our roads are so horrific that my clearcoat is getting sand blasted simply by driving down our chuck hole filled highways and roads. I think the last car I hand washed was either my SVT Focus or Honda S2000 from a very long time ago. I also remember the massive mosquito bites I ended up with as that is a problem in my neighborhood.

As long as you aren't physically letting anything from the car wash touch it. Their foam brush, the spinning noodle things etc you're fine. I like the self serve power washer ones. I just bring a towel and rinse it off, it it's really dirty I hand wash. Keep a nice coat of wax on there too.

From what you describe. I know this car wash. In my town. It is not touchless. I stay away from it for that reason. You will get tons of swirling (scratches) on your clear coat. Even the touchless is rather tough on wax/polish. Removes it rather quickly.
What removes clear coat is failing to wax or polish it.

On the interior. Even the exterior. Might try this.

Sorry, that was a joke. At least I made myself laugh.
My advice is to not use ANYTHING but a damp (water) microfiber towel on the interior. I've had too many car dashes crack and plastic get spotty from interior "protectants". One of the best tips I saw on Youtube was to use a garden sprayer (the kind you pump) to dispense car wash solution on your car after wetting it down. No bucket necessary, just that, a towel and a hose.