2016 Toyota S CVT Oil change

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I show you exactly what I am doing, changing Oil. I tell you exactly the way it is no right way or wrong way, I get the job done. with oil, parts and tools. If you have trouble understanding how to change oil, please be my guest and post up, I be more than happy to comment back. I done oil changes on my 2013 and 2010 and they helped many people out there. If you are new to changing oil I suggest to see my 2013 and 2010 videos.

Hope you enjoyed how to get the job done.

FISH

ToyBoy

Couple of comments on the way I do oil changes. First I use ramps , they keep the car level side to side unlike a jack lifting up only one side of the car. Second I wouldn't put a new washer over the top of an old washer. Since I drain all the old oil out I go ahead and add the correct amount of new oil all at once and always when doing so the dipstick level is always pretty much right on the full level marking . PS. If I ever did use a jack to change oil I would jack up both sides and put jack stands underneath and I recommend a wheel block behind back wheels even if it is an auto tranny and placed in park. Ramps are much easier in my opinion.I do chock the back wheels with the ramps too by the way. The dealers do change oil and filters at 10k intervals , they don`t just examine the oil and filter. Zero w 20 synthetic is what the manufacturer recommends and that`s what I stick with.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Thank you for your comment. how I do an oil change. I don't use jack stands I don't lift the car up. I get right under with arms length and pop off the plug, washer filter. take out 1/3 qt of the 5at and pour in with the short stub funnel. Check fluid and clean up

I Put together what I felt will get the job done no matter how one looks at it. I did not want to bang off the washer, I believe I said that I chose to leave one washer on and not two. and should note this in the long, short video pointing to the correct what if I need to drain take a washer off
A forum is all for help help help, very few of us how to here

FISH

ToyBoy

All`s good Fishy . I was just pointing out the way I do the job. Like most jobs there is more than one way to accomplish the job. I was just giving readers an alternative.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
All`s good Fishy . I was just pointing out the way I do the job. Like most jobs there is more than one way to accomplish the job. I was just giving readers an alternative.
that I knew, I just wanted to make myself clear on how I actually do them, and not what you see me do on video, maybe my next oil cange on the old corolla I'll show how to change in less than a few minutes. Lo

thanks ToyBoy appreciate the support.

ToyBoy

Fishy , My next oil change I will install my Fumoto valve that I bought awhile back . Had one on the old car and it worked out well. Also bought a plastic hose to hook up to it to send the oil right into the container without worry of it splashing all over. I really like my Corolla, although sometimes I kinda would like a Hatchback. Oh, by the way my 2014 is white like your new one.

Here is how I do an oil change. I make an appointment for 0700am at the dealer with a service consultant named Barbie. I wake up on set day at 0530 to get ready and leave the house at 0630 for the 25 minute drive. I drop off vehicle and leave the 4 quarts of Mobil 1 extended performance sitting on the seat for them to use. I sit in lounge working or playing on my tablet. I pick up vehicle and drive to my next destination. Of course my dealer gives anyone who buys from then free oil changes for life.

So does he remind you about the .5 qts not placed in? othererwise a great plan.
Actually 0.4 quarts as I was informed this morning. The problem is that I cannot figure out how to read this damn dipstick. No matter how I try to check it, there is always a bunch of oil in the tube that smears everything. Even the breaks in the oil sheet are at different levels from the front and back of the stick.

I'm too fat to fit under the car without jackstands, so that is pretty much required for me.

I love how they set up the oil filter on the 2ZR-FE. Really easy to get to, right next to the drain plug, and oil won't drip down a bunch of other parts while draining.

The only thing I hate about the 2ZR-FE is the PCV valve ... you have to take off the damn intake manifold to replace it >.<

On the 1ZZ-FE a PCV valve is a 10 minute job.

I'm too fat to fit under the car without jackstands, so that is pretty much required for me.

I love how they set up the oil filter on the 2ZR-FE. Really easy to get to, right next to the drain plug, and oil won't drip down a bunch of other parts while draining.

The only thing I hate about the 2ZR-FE is the PCV valve ... you have to take off the damn intake manifold to replace it >.<

On the 1ZZ-FE a PCV valve is a 10 minute job.
Why the hell would Toyota make you have to do that? I know it is something that is done usually every 100k miles, but that just seems stupid. Most vehicles I have seen are literally a 5 minute job.

Yep, I don`t know why you would hide your PCV valve like that. Every other car I`ve had they were right out in the open and like you said a 5 minute job.

Actually 0.4 quarts as I was informed this morning. The problem is that I cannot figure out how to read this damn dipstick. No matter how I try to check it, there is always a bunch of oil in the tube that smears everything. Even the breaks in the oil sheet are at different levels from the front and back of the stick.
Yep. I got the same problem. Solution?

I've been doing my own driveway oil changes for 43 years. My s hasn't been to the stealer ship yet. I save my oil filters along with receipts in case I have an engine warranty issue down the line. I've already fought with a tire shop about doing my own rotations and they said that wasn't good enough when I made a mileage warranty claim, but ultimately I prevailed. Don't anticipate any engine problems but am covering my backside just in case...

fishycomics

Super Moderator
there are ways. I go buy the two holes if your oils is so clean and to clear. you can always use a paper and when laid down on the stick if it matches to the hole closest t o the handle you are good

Yep. I got the same problem. Solution?
Nope. I even went to the dealer and asked them to show me. They told me just to look for the breaks in the giant smear. The problem is that the break on the front and rear are at different levels and no one seems to know which break is the accurate one.

not hard to read a Dip stick.
It SHOULD NOT be too hard to read a dipstick, but somehow Toyota has made is near impossible. Of the numerous cars I have owned, this is the first one that I have trouble figuring out. If it is this hard for an experienced enthusiast like me, just imagine how impossible it is for the average person who really just fills the gas tank and drives until the TPMS flashes a warning light as the weather gets cooler.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
so when that light comes on, you stop see your canister gone, you keep going? You rely on the work you do and how you maintain your car, if one has troubles reading a dipstick, then you best find a solution,

It SHOULD NOT be too hard to read a dipstick, but somehow Toyota has made is near impossible. Of the numerous cars I have owned, this is the first one that I have trouble figuring out. If it is this hard for an experienced enthusiast like me, just imagine how impossible it is for the average person who really just fills the gas tank and drives until the TPMS flashes a warning light as the weather gets cooler.
It's part of the master plan to take the enthusiast out of the loop....(sarc).

When joe blow runs his engine out of oil t(cause he decipher the dipstick) then Toyota gets a new car sale. Nice twist on planned obsolescence....

ToyBoy

Yep , you get a film of oil on the upper part of the dipstick but it`s usually sporadic ,where the actual level measurement is pretty much a solid covering .

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I shall do a picture of the2016 if I can see it then shall you. One thing I will do is see if the dipsticks are the same in the cars I have

Here is how I do an oil change. I make an appointment for 0700am at the dealer with a service consultant named Barbie. I wake up on set day at 0530 to get ready and leave the house at 0630 for the 25 minute drive. I drop off vehicle and leave the 4 quarts of Mobil 1 extended performance sitting on the seat for them to use. I sit in lounge working or playing on my tablet. I pick up vehicle and drive to my next destination. Of course my dealer gives anyone who buys from then free oil changes for life.
ok--mine is only for the first three years...I want my free oil change for life.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Thanks fishy. Your 2016 (and the other two) is easy to read. It is unlike my 2015. Must be car to car variance.
I totally hear you. Old car dark stick, wonder if that helps see it> but you see the grid. that is called craftsmanship, today its just a dipstick Lol.

do not try it but maybe cleaning the stick with sandpaper I have done that with the 2010 the second clip, seen there with oil burned into the stick.

sanding to give some abrasion to have it stay on there. Just saying

My 2015 oil dipstick is impossible to read as well. I think it just has to do with how long the tube and dipstick are. It rubs on the tube as it comes out, etc.

I filled it per the capacity in the manual and have been driving for ~1000 miles, no issues.

Really irritating that its so hard to read. The dipstick on my 1984 Land Cruiser is only about 15 inches long at most counting the handle. It goes straight in the side of the block right above the oil pan. Pretty much a perfect line of oil on it every time.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Time to change the oil. again, I forgot to get a Toy filter I will head today to grab one and prepare my road trip and 6 month maintenance. a 1500 mi each way and in between mileage. City driving about 1-2K is on her 2 months . This will keep my mind at ease, knowing the car is 1000% serviced correctly.

Premature change no. early change, no what I always do on a road trip, maintain a car!

FISH

My 2015 oil dipstick is impossible to read as well. I think it just has to do with how long the tube and dipstick are. It rubs on the tube as it comes out, etc.

I filled it per the capacity in the manual and have been driving for ~1000 miles, no issues.

Really irritating that its so hard to read. The dipstick on my 1984 Land Cruiser is only about 15 inches long at most counting the handle. It goes straight in the side of the block right above the oil pan. Pretty much a perfect line of oil on it every time.
84 Land Cruiser? Wow. That's my DREAM machine. $85k new. One day. . . .