2020 USB support

this is a little vague, the specs on the usb plug. i plugged in a 32g thumb drive with 1 FLAC songs on it and they played just fine. I'm prepping for a 7 hour drive with the family so i purchased a 1 tb portable drive and its not recognized. now i admit i don't need my whole music collection but what is the largest capacity drive i can use and how should it be formatted?

jolly

Toyota doesn’t mention a size limitation (though larger ones may slow the system) beside a max of 9,999 files, 3,000 folders and 255 files per folders. Work only with FAT format (some portable drive are NTFS). Also be sure that your portable device is SSD (flash) lie a USB key, not HDD like a computer.

oh I think it is a hdd, I'll return it and get a ssd. Does anyone have any actual hands on numbers of what they have tried and successfully used?

delrey

I don't think a SSD will even work. It'll need to be a flash drive. Whether the car will read a 1TB is unknown. The largest I've used on my '11 or '17 has been 64GB.
https://www.newegg.com/patriot-mode...-063-_-2&Description=1tb+flash+drive+kingston

I used to use USB for music until I realized you can download songs on Spotify (probably others too) and play in offline mode via bluetooth. Battery usage is way down when you play in offline mode compared to streaming with data.

jolly

don't think a SSD will even work. It'll need to be a flash drive
OMG really! please tell me this isn't so
That’s a possibility: both thumb drive and SSD portable have the same type of memory (flash) but portable might have multi-level cell / controller (vs single for thumb drive). Since the latter is cheaper yet more than sufficient for music file reading and now exist in larger format, and we really don’t know if the car system can use MLC, an appropriate size thumb drive might be a safer bet (and more practical to manipulate!).
you can download songs on Spotify (probably others too) and play in offline mode via bluetooth
A good option indeed but a bit redundant if one already has his/her music on file (and maybe including odd pieces that aren’t on Spotify in the first place). A USB drive then remains a better option. An alternative would be to simply use the phone as a storage device and connect it either via USB or Bluetooth. I have close to 200 GB of FLAC files on mine (Android allowing SDcard, iPhone being more space limited).

aight 256GB thumb drive is in the mail. I'll follow up when i can.
256gb is a bust, err man i'm really starting to hate this stereo. I only put like 99 GB of songs on there and no dice. how do I fire up serius xm radio? i'm starting to get crazy here. this 7 hour drive is gonna suuuuck.

Last edited:
this 7 hour drive is gonna suuuuck.
... or be an occasion for interesting conversations with your family members or for discovering local radios on the road! ;)
More seriously, I don't get it. If the new Entune is like the former one (that's in my 11th gen), maybe it just need a long time to recognize and make an inventory of what's on the drive before it works (up to 1 minute with a 32gb key). Or if 32gb worked, get a bunch of them !

... or be an occasion for interesting conversations with your family members or for discovering local radios on the road! ;)
More seriously, I don't get it. If the new Entune is like the former one (that's in my 11th gen), maybe it just need a long time to recognize and make an inventory of what's on the drive before it works (up to 1 minute with a 32gb key). Or if 32gb worked, get a bunch of them !
update, the thumb drive was formatted in exfat, i reformatted it in fat32 and it works great so far i have 99 gigs of flac on it. yeay!!! amen!! on a different note my model of corolla does not come with sirius xm radio. im told the upper models do oh well sad face. but i have plenty of music so i'm g2g. i'm still adding songs so i'll keep you posted if at some point things change.

update, the thumb drive was formatted in exfat, i reformatted it in fat32 and it works great so far i have 99 gigs of flac on it. yeay!!! amen!! on a different note my model of corolla does not come with sirius xm radio. im told the upper models do oh well sad face. but i have plenty of music so i'm g2g. i'm still adding songs so i'll keep you posted if at some point things change.
I'm glad you got your 256GB thumb drive worked! The biggest I could get to work was 32GB on our 2019 Corolla HB. But that's fine for us. The prob we still have is that the USB file menu doesn't work sometimes. If I choose to show the folders or files on the USB drive the screen just starts playing the 1st song. There is no way to scroll thru the folders or song files. But every now and then, boom, it works - but one time only. Then it's back to not letting us choose a folder or song file. Just saying. I contacted Toyota but they just scratched their head and didn't understand.

the screen just starts playing the 1st song. There is no way to scroll thru the folders or song files. But every now and then, boom, it works
With Entune 2.0 there would be a delay from the moment the first song start and the moment control is available (as the system have to make an "inventory" of the drive), which maybe from 1 to several minutes, depending. If you don't get control after that, then yes, it's a problem.

I'm glad you got your 256GB thumb drive worked! The biggest I could get to work was 32GB on our 2019 Corolla HB. But that's fine for us. The prob we still have is that the USB file menu doesn't work sometimes. If I choose to show the folders or files on the USB drive the screen just starts playing the 1st song. There is no way to scroll thru the folders or song files. But every now and then, boom, it works - but one time only. Then it's back to not letting us choose a folder or song file. Just saying. I contacted Toyota but they just scratched their head and didn't understand.
Just like Jolly stated, this is normal. It needs to read the whole drive when the car first starts. If you change the track during this initial reading, it'll go to the first track. When this happens to me, I have to wait for the reading to finish and go to the song list and hit the random button again. I usually wait at least a minute before changing the track if needed. It sucks as my '11 didn't do this but I've come to accept it.

I was going to say it can't read exfat formatted drives as it is programmed to read windows type formats (fat32, NTFS. But NTFS could throw errors. NTFS is mainly for files that are over 4GB in size amd I am not sure if "lossless" songs have that high of a file size but they probably do)

Theoretically a SSD should work if you give it the needed power. I believe 5V 1Amps should be sufficient (look into a 12V car adapter with two 2.1amp USB ports or 12V inverter/converter) to not only power the SSD but read it aswell.

Please update if you can get the SSD to read. It should