2ZR-FE Oil Change

Just wanting to share my experience changing the oil on my 2015 Corolla with 1.8 2ZR-FE engine.

Owners Manual calls for 4.4 quarts with filter change.

Using Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy and WIX 57064XP filter.

image.jpeg

This is the first car I've owned that needed a special oil filter wrench. Had to go buy one. Found this at O'Reilly's. Pennzoil 19906

image.jpeg

Remove the drain plug with 14mm wrench or socket. Drain oil into pan.

Remove clip that prevents oil filter housing from spinning off.

image.jpeg

Remove oil filter housing. Drain what you can into the oil pan. Make sure to have the pan under the filter when removing.

Swap out oil filter and o-ring on the oil filter housing.

image.jpeg

Wipe excess oil from engine at oil filter housing. Reinstall filter housing with new filter and o-ring. I tightened mine to the same spot it was at and re-installed the clip. Take a picture before removal for reference.

Make sure to change the gasket on the oil drain plug. I used a Dorman part. Aluminum with rubber for sealing. OEM appeared to be aluminum with fiber.

image.jpeg

Replace oil drain plug.

Fill with oil. I started with 4 quarts. Check level on dipstick and adjust as needed.

Enjoy your happy car!

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Filter I like more paper then to have a washer covering the end. otherwise great job. I simply bend the safety clip and changed, you took yours off???

Filter I like more paper then to have a washer covering the end. otherwise great job. I simply bend the safety clip and changed, you took yours off???
If you're talking about the difference between the stock filter and WIX filter yeah I was kind of shocked at the difference. I figure it's fine though.

The filter wrench fit better with the clip removed. Over time bending and re-shaping might break the clip. Looked like the right thing to do.

It's crazy how more 'complex' (using that term lightly) this thing is. I've changed the oil on a lot of cars. 84 Land Cruiser, 09 Civic, 11 Cruze, 99 Continental, 92 240sx. This car just has more fine details than any. Although mostly centered around the stupid oil filter set-up. What's wrong with the old school spin on filter?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
well they went back to that Lol. that is the killer our 2016 reverted. Yes the OEM I like better, just me.
I have done 12 changes about and No issues on that clip, Slips right under like a glove, if car is cold its tighter the filter. and its much more fun to get off Lol, or I am getting older and wiser Lol.

again great job

old school filters had an internal bypass valve that prevented filter collapse or oil starvation if the element got too restricted.

Depending on the brand of old school filter this was anything from something pretty nice to very cheesey.
With the tighter clearances, Toyota wanted to make sure the bypass worked as they wanted it to work and when they wanted it to work.

much better set up, but not as easy to change

old school filters had an internal bypass valve that prevented filter collapse or oil starvation if the element got too restricted.

Depending on the brand of old school filter this was anything from something pretty nice to very cheesey.
With the tighter clearances, Toyota wanted to make sure the bypass worked as they wanted it to work and when they wanted it to work.

much better set up, but not as easy to change
Thanks for the tech on that. I'm always a stickler with oil filter brands. Pretty much stick to WIX or occasionally will use a Motorcraft on my Land Cruiser. Same filter as a stock F-150. (They are cheap at Walmart along with the oil, otherwise Rock Auto for filters. I would NEVER run a Fram)

And I will add that this filter was not as annoying as on a 2011 Cruze (canister/ filter) or my 1984 Land Cruiser (old school spin-on). The most important thing to me is how easy the clean up is. The filter being under the car with nothing below it makes it very easy.

Last edited:
I've got a display in my lab of about 15 spin on filters that I've cut open to show the internal differences.
There are actually only a few filter manufacturers. Bosch premium used to be the same thing internally as the Pure1 by Purolator.
You can even call the tech line for one filter brand and listen to ads for another brand while you are on hold with them.

By far the worst, and I mean the worst is the old style orange fram..... I wouldn't recommend those at all, only consideration they took in it's design was how to cut corners.

Toyota TRD and Amsoil appear to be made by the same mfg (I have no evidence of this, only observation). Only slight differences internally.
Oddly enough and to Amsoil's credit they seem to hold theirs to a higher level of quality control.

(pleat seams are cleaner, internal baffling looks nicer, etc)

I show this in class:

Last edited:
Interesting video, learned a little bit on that one.

Yeah I like the fact there are only a few manufacturers of oil filters, if you know which ones to buy then you can save a little money. It's just like car batteries. Sears Die Hard Platinum is/was an Odyssey battery IIRC

I picked up the same oil for my next oil change. Current oil is the Mobil 1 Extended . I use the stock oil filter , they are less than $6 at the dealer. Plus I live within walking distance to my dealer. The filters I looked at in the store were more than that. Also if Toyota is fine with them for 10k oil changes then so am I, plus I don`t go 10k on an oil change. I picked up a similar wrench cap off Ebay , only it`s not black. I don`t remember what I paid for it. Next change my Fumoto drain valve is going on . I had one on my previous car with no issues. Less messy and you don`t have to worry about stripping out a plug or pan.

With oil there are standards to go by such as GF5 or GF6 that assure a minimum performance level, filters.... no such common standard in place. One reason why Toyota (in my humble opinion) chose to go to the cartridge style. So they would have control over the bypass valving.

Fumoto drain valve sounds like a handy option, personally I like " Gold Plug" magnetic drain plugs for their benefits.

They had the "M1 Extended Performance" on the shelf, but who in their right mind would run an engine oil for 15k? Whatever Toyota put in mine at the 20k mark came out black. Should have been Synthetic but I highly doubt it. The mechanics don't know how to not get oil all over my engine. I'll just keep doing my own oil changes with that in mind. Plus I know the oil going in my engine is what I buy.

I'm a stock plug kinda guy. If it ain't broke don't fix it :D:cool:

They had the "M1 Extended Performance" on the shelf, but who in their right mind would run an engine oil for 15k? Whatever Toyota put in mine at the 20k mark came out black. Should have been Synthetic but I highly doubt it. The mechanics don't know how to not get oil all over my engine. I'll just keep doing my own oil changes with that in mind. Plus I know the oil going in my engine is what I buy.

I'm a stock plug kinda guy. If it ain't broke don't fix it :D:cool:
I run 15k m1 ep and I like it. For real. 4 vehicles, no issues. Oil is very clean thru it's 15k lifecycle. I don't get black oil. I run m1 cartrige and spin ons. Ymmv. See a pic under the 2014-2016 forum....I posted about a week ago. Both sticks show over 6k. I change the oil at 10k for warranty on my 2015 Corolla.

I'll go look at that other post. @Floridapizzaman

Just to clarify... I had Toyota change my oil at 10,000 and 20,000 miles per the ToyotaCare (under warranty). I was just stating that after driving 10k miles and hitting the 30k mark the oil I drained was disgusting.

I like to do my own oil change. It's not hard to do, although I went with a cheap filter wrench to same money, that was a mistake and I will be buying a different one. I like to do it, and also I know the proper oil is going in. Nothing against the dealer and I save myself money by doing it.

helpful for me . the motor oil(0W-20) is not counterfeit ,right? how much is the motor oil(0W-20)? where did you bought it? can you give me the link?
thanks

lol,i thought you shopping on the Internet. where can i purchase the qulity one on the Internet?
I don't buy much off the internet. Specially something that is expensive and is important. I am old school and buy what I need in the stores. I personally don't feel comfortable buying the oil off the net, unless I order it form a store website and pick it up in store.

I just changed the oil and filter on my daughters ‘09 Corolla for the first time since I bought it. Easy job, but not fond of the cartridge oil filters.
Mobil 1 zero-W20 and an OEM oil filter. Rotated the tires and she’s ready to go!