2ZR-FE Turbo Kit

So, I contacted turbokits.com for information whether or not their turbo kit for the 2ZR-FE engine with CVT transmission would it. They informed me that they haven't tested the fitment for it. They did however offer me $300 off IF I bought the kit and reported performance and fitment issues if any. Thoughts?

That is the question. How much HP can the CVT hold up to? New CVT Transmission, no one knows yet. I guess thats why they would want a guinea pig.

That's the problem CVT transmissions are still new not that many people know how to modify them plus every car manufacturer has their own version of a CVT transmission,
Which adds to the headache.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Well, if you want to see how much power from the turbo the CVT can handle, why not start at a low boost pressure and work your way up until you feel like it is producing a good amount of power and is still safe for the CVT.

True unfortunately, I have heard that CVT's are a sealed transmission. Plus, it would be a pretty big gamble to test it out on a car using a $3000 turbo kit in which a replacement transmission would cost about $7000. No info on whether the band inside the CVT is either steel or a fiber.

interesting, I did not realize that they were even considering our vehicles at all. I hope someone has the guts to go through with this, I certainly dont, not yet at least

There is a turbo for our engines, which has been the same from 2009 excluding the XRS. The only issue is the CVT. **** if someone gave me that money I'll go and try it out. Kickstarter maybe? lol

There is a turbo for our engines, which has been the same from 2009 excluding the XRS. The only issue is the CVT. **** if someone gave me that money I'll go and try it out. Kickstarter maybe? lol
Make sure you title it "Help me blow up my car!" and have the highest reward be you sending them a video of your car actually blowing up.

Fundraising done.

My point too. Turbocharging a high performance car that is already designed and intended for such use is one thing, but turbocharging an economy car that was not designed or intended for this use? Good luuuuccckkkkkk, you're going to need it.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Well, I am pretty sure that the turbo will work on a 2014 Corolla with the 6 speed manual. As for the CVT band, email Toyota since they should know whats in this transmission.

The 6MT should survive, kinda nervous about that throw-out bearing/slave cylinder design. It DOES look more robust than the one in my '03 Focus ZX3, but in the Focus I went through my first throw-out bearing at 60,000 miles, and the second one was getting ready to blow when I traded the car into Toyota for my '08 Matrix ... and I never modified the car.

Looks like Toyota had to do it for room. In the Matrix the slave cylinder was right there, two bolts and a clutch line. In the Corolla, it's 3 bolts inside the bellhousing.

Keyword - Should.

Remember, this is an economy car, not a high performance car. Economy cars aren't generally over-built to take more punishment, i.e. power, than they were intended to. That would cost extra in materials, (stronger parts), and design. Extra is not what an economy car is about.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
I would assume that the 11th gen Corolla's clutch slave cylinder is more stronger than the one on the Focus.

Also, I agree on the kickstarter DJ!

Last edited:
I think I should push for like $50,000 for the kickstarter. Cover the cost of a new car incase the engine and transmission both blow. Use the extra cash to test out different turbo sizes and custom manifolds and fabrications. THEN at the end of all that write up giant thread with everything I found. Sound good?

Speaking of which, have you made progress in the Entune software modifications?

I'm kind of tempted to pull my instrument cluster out and peek around to see if I can find the shunt resistor in the comparator circuit for the signal flasher. I mean, if I REALLY take my time and check check and double check, I shouldn't botch anything...

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
I think I should push for like $50,000 for the kickstarter. Cover the cost of a new car incase the engine and transmission both blow. Use the extra cash to test out different turbo sizes and custom manifolds and fabrications. THEN at the end of all that write up giant thread with everything I found. Sound good?
Sounds awesome!:D

Well I can...EXCEPT I'm at chilis right now...drinking...not sure if it's a good idea to be tinkering around the stereo right now lol
But maybe youll have an epiphany or something! Happens to me all the time when im drinking, just with.....mixed...results...

On a more serious note, I am genuinely surprised no one has contacted toyota yet to inquire about the max specs for the CVT, I want to do it but im not sure where to start.

This is important to me at least since I now have permission from my wife to mod the car, excited to get started!

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
I have the 6 speed Corolla S Plus. Think it could handle it any better than the CVT?
The 6 speed has a much bigger chance of handling the turbo since it isn't driven by a belt like the CVT.

By the way guys, if I were to email Toyota, who should I contact from Toyota on the CVT max horsepower?

The 6 speed has a much bigger chance of handling the turbo since it isn't driven by a belt like the CVT.

By the way guys, if I were to email Toyota, who should I contact from Toyota on the CVT max horsepower?
Help me get a turbo! Lol. I want a turbo, new CAI and a new exhaust. Help?

THIS QUESTION IS REALLY IMPORTANT

I would contact them myself but I have no idea who to get ahold of. My dad was working for toyota like 5 months ago but since he doesn't work there anymore, cant have him ask.

Remember then the engine will need to be beefed up, including having the engine block o-ringed, a high volume oil pump, high quality synthetic oil like AMSOIL so the oil can withstand the very high temperatures a turbocharger creates, forged steel connecting rods and crankshaft would be a very good idea, increased cooling capacity, having the computer reprogrammed to deliver enough fuel so the engine doesn't run lean and burn up from the inside out and then there's the transmission upgrades too. An easy $5,000 + to do it right. It's probably less expensive and certainly far less hassle just to buy a vehicle that is already turbocharged right from the factory.

A supercharger might not be so expensive and would provide much better throttle response.

Last edited:

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Remember then the engine will need to be beefed up, including having the engine block o-ringed, a high volume oil pump, high quality synthetic oil like AMSOIL so the oil can withstand the very high temperatures a turbocharger creates, forged steel connecting rods and crankshaft would be a very good idea, increased cooling capacity, having the computer reprogrammed to deliver enough fuel so the engine doesn't run lean and burn up from the inside out and then there's the transmission upgrades too. An easy $5,000 + to do it right. It's probably less expensive and certainly far less hassle just to buy a vehicle that is already turbocharged right from the factory.

A supercharger might not be so expensive and would provide much better throttle response.
As far as I know, the only supercharger available for the 2ZR-FE is the one used in the Lotus Elise S which is called the Magnuson R900 Supercharger:

I don't know exactly where they sell it but it will give you 217HP!:D

****. So far I haven't had any luck with toyota. Apparently no one knows the stats of their product. Will keep you updated more on this. Also, we can do whatever we want to the engine. The weak link is the transmission.