3-Speed Swap for 4-Speed

Hey guys, new to the forum as of today and have a burning question that hopefully you guys can help me with. I (parents own) drive a 1997 Toyota Corolla CE with the 1.6L and the 3 speed auto. Not sure if there was a different call out but the motor is a 4AFE.

I have found 4 speed automatics online that say they will fit my motor and wonder if this is actually true, considering the fact the 1.6L didn't come with a 4 speed auto only the 1.8L....

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated guys, I don't want to spend $300 on a tranny I can't use.

I believe it can be swapped, but the 4sp is electronic and has it's own control unit, while the 3sp is all mechanical. You're better off buying a 4sp car and selling your 3sp car.

ORRR... man up and swap in a 5sp.

I believe it can be swapped, but the 4sp is electronic and has it's own control unit, while the 3sp is all mechanical. You're better off buying a 4sp car and selling your 3sp car.

ORRR... man up and swap in a 5sp.
Hahaha, honestly I wouldn't mind doing that swap at all since I'd like a manual car :thumbsup:, thing is I want to keep cost low as possible. Good car :thumbsup: with only like 103k on it now, but she's going to be 18 yrs. old this October. :shifty:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yea I do agree, though I half wonder if the tranny is starting to go due to hard shifts from first to second but they are fine if I ease into it. To used to more modern vehicles I guess lol. I'm looking into another car that is a manual so guess should leave it alone.

I'd be willing to bet the 5sp swap would be cheaper.

The procedure for checking the tranny fluid is in the owners manual, but honestly, if it shows up on the dipstick at all, then I highly doubt the fluid is too low for it shift correctly.

I have checked it before but I'll have to do it again tomorrow. Assuming that its best to do when warm.

Thing is I only get a hard shift from 1-2 when I really lay into it from a start and 2-3 is reasonable, or if I go light to start I get a lil bit of a hard shift from 2-3. :huh: She's very fussy lol. But I'll look in the manual and get it checked out. Maybe she knows I'm looking at a newer car and is putting up a fight now. :laughing: I know one thing is for sure, once she passed that 100k mark she got a lil attitude or spunk in her. :shifty::thumbsup::D

I have checked it before but I'll have to do it again tomorrow. Assuming that its best to do when warm.

Thing is I only get a hard shift from 1-2 when I really lay into it from a start and 2-3 is reasonable, or if I go light to start I get a lil bit of a hard shift from 2-3. :huh: She's very fussy lol. But I'll look in the manual and get it checked out. Maybe she knows I'm looking at a newer car and is putting up a fight now. :laughing: I know one thing is for sure, once she passed that 100k mark she got a lil attitude or spunk in her. :shifty::thumbsup::D
Yeah, they're not fans of us looking for another car, they know, LOL!

Well, I checked the fluid and all looks fine :shifty:, so maybe I'm just a lil hard on her considering other vehicles I get to drive (other family members drive)from time to time ('07 duramax truck, '09 HHR, '13 Accord). :laughing:

Different strokes for different folks. Some people find a standard transmission in city traffic to be a real pain in the neck; clutch, shift, clutch, accelerate, brake, stop, repeat, etc. An auto transmission is so much more convenient in stop and city go driving. But with the Southern California/Los Angeles smog/air pollution, there are more important things to worry about. :thumbsup::D

Scott, I think it is time you gave up your man card :p

The only time I was glad I was driving an automatic was when I was stuck in the snow and could push with one leg and reach in and give it gas.

As for the 3sp shifting hard, has it always been like that?
Mine is far from smooth when I floor it, though it's never crosses my mind that something is wrong with it.

As for the 3sp shifting hard, has it always been like that?
Mine is far from smooth when I floor it, though it's never crosses my mind that something is wrong with it.
It probably has and what I consider is a hard shift may just be normal for the car. Maybe just got to used to smooth shifting in the other cars.

I've been "stuck" driving this thing full time for the past year due to being rear ended in one of dads work vehicles and instead of fixing it and having a "wrecked car" around he argued them into totaling it. Since I know at least from our experience once a vehicle has an accident that's pretty major its never the same, no matter if its fixed.

So I haven't been doing the old swap back and forth with cars very much. Guess its just come more to the for front in my mind when I had posted this up in the first place. Also hating that I've gone from 6 auto gears back down to 3 full time. Oh well guess just me wanting to be modern lol. But I will for sure say my next car will be stick if I can help it.

In stop and go traffic automatic transmissions are a joy and it's the standard transmissions that are a pain. :thumbsup: :yes: :thumbup:
I will def agree with you that in traffic an automatic is far better sitting in traffic. But most of my driving personally has moved to highways so not so much traffic unless I get caught in rush hour (which is rare).

Quick question for some Corolla experts. I have a 1993 Corolla DX (originally a 7AFE 1.8L engine). I switched it out for a 4AFE 1.6L engine, but now it looks like I may need to switch the transmission too. Should I stick with the original 4-speed trans, or put the 3-speed in that would normally go with the 1.6L engine? Thanks in advance for the help.