Ac cooling issue

I've got a 15 s plus and when I start it up and use the ac, it blows hot-air for about 3-5 mins before it starts to cool. Is this normal for this car??

Normal for every car I've owned... pressure and air exchange has to build up in the system plus getting rid of hot air in the ducts. 5 min. seems a little long though

Thomas

3-5 MINUTES?

I'm in Texas, and that's a long time. Granted it's only the beginning of summer, but it doesn't take long on my 2015 LE. More like 20 to 30 seconds.

It shouldn't take long to clear the vents, and it shouldn't take long for the refrigerant to make its loop in the Refrigeration Cycle. There is no waiting for "pressure build-up".

Thomas

I'm by no means an air conditioning expert, but it shouldn't take very long for the expansion valve to initially let the gas through, until the compresses it and the condenser turns it into a liquid. Since car AC systems are small, this should happen pretty fast.

Now the AC may be blowing cold air, but until the hot air in the car is replaced, the car will still be hot, and that can take a few minutes.

- If you're recircing air, the AC is trying to cool the very hot interior air, try turning recirc off to cool down the cooler outside air first for the first few minutes, then turn recirc back on.
- Try cracking your windows so as cooler air enters the car, it settles down lower and pushes the lighter, hotter air out the windows.

As someone else wrote: "How long before a standard car's typical A/C will start to cool your car? The discharge air temperature should start dropping immediately, and after about a minute it should be cool (the A/C has cooled off itself and is now starting on the cabin air). After two minutes the discharge air should be very cold, (car A/Cs cool the discharge air to a MUCH colder temperature than systems for your home or office)."

The first 4 results should help: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+fast+does+a+car+ac+cool+down One of those results even talks about related mechanical problems which could be affecting the AC.

I just got a 2015 Corolla two weeks ago and I definitely find it takes longer to get the cool air pumping in it than in my 2007 Corolla. The 2007 will start blowing cold air within a minute or two, the 2015 easily takes close to 4 minutes. Also if in heavy traffic on hot asphalt the 2015 AC starts to fade somewhat until out of stop and go traffic. I'm in Central Massachusetts.

Thomas

Okay, I'm curious and maybe I'm recalling my own car's time wrong. Right now it's raining, but tomorrow during the day when it's warm, I'll time my AC and post back here.

We have had a few days in the mid 90's this summer and I have found that the longest it ever took before it started switching over to cool air was about 45 seconds to a minute.

Okay, with cooling level on "LO" (the lowest setting), fan on max, and recirc on...

Yesterday 82 outside temp: It took about 25 seconds for warm air to be replaced by cold air.
Today 93 outside temp: It took about 25 seconds for warm air to be replaced by cold air. After maybe about 1 minute later (1:30 total elapsed time), the cold air started to gradually get even colder. After about 1 minute later (2:30 total elapsed time), I think it reached it's coldest point.

This is completely unscientific because I'm basing it on feel, as I do not have a thermometer.

So it seems to me that the AC is working within 30 seconds, and then it takes a few minutes to reach maximum cooling ability.

The OP wrote that his/hers "blows hot-air for about 3-5 mins before it starts to cool." That does not seem normal to me.

(My car is a 2015 LE that I bought 20 days ago and has 950 miles).

Last edited:
On a 94 degree day with the car sitting in the hot sun all morning and afternoon long, it took my car 45 seconds before it stopped blowing scalding hot air. It started getting cooler after a minute so I agree that it taking 3-5 minutes might not be normal unless the OP lives in Death Valley, CA.

Compressor failure on a few models, was Talking to a technician today we just did a warranty replacement on a S that had 9890 miles today

Doesn't surprise me. 3 to 5 minutes is too long. Even on a 100° day it doesn't take more than a minute before the air coming from the vents cools off (would be nice if Toyota bumped the delay up for the fan when in Auto so that it stays at speed 1, then ups the speed after 30 seconds). Probably the rings on the compressor aren't sealing right.

There is a tsb on the av for the new Corolla.
Hmmm, I've got a 2015 Corolla LE. I've noticed that the A/C tends to fade out significantly during warm weather (temps in upper 80s/low 90s) while in stop and go traffic.
Perhaps I should put this on my list of things to have checked out when I bring the car into the dealer for my first maintenance. Can you give any more details on this TSB?

DTG

I'll modify my response. It takes 3-5 minutes for me to notice an appreciable difference in the car interior temp on a really nasty hot day. But cold air is coming out of the vents within 1.5 minutes. I timed it the other day out of curiosity.

Sorry for the off-the-cuff response.

I'll modify my response. It takes 3-5 minutes for me to notice an appreciable difference in the car interior temp on a really nasty hot day. But cold air is coming out of the vents within 1.5 minutes. I timed it the other day out of curiosity.

Sorry for the off-the-cuff response.
Takes roughly "120 seconds" for the ax system to cool off the vents. The dash absorbs allot of heat which transfers to the vents try to shut the car down with the blender door open

OK. Here's the more exact technical explanation from another thread on the same subject : http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/a-c-takes-a-bit-to-get-cold.4053/#post-22943
I am the person who started this post above. I am glad I am not the only one now! I told my dealer and they said my A/C was "normal". Of course, I told them that the A/C had a significant (IMO) delay in turning on after being in a hot parking lot (+75 degrees) for over 8 hours during my working day. Anything under 8 hours and the A/C could start to be cold immediately and other times not. They tested it and it was fine. My issue is that after 8 hours sitting in the sun, the car takes about 75 seconds idling with the A/C on to "start" getting colder. I even tested this by feeling the cooling hoses....the suction line does NOT get cold anywhere from 45 seconds-75 seconds after the car has been started. My car also fluctuates the temperatures while slowing down to a stop, accelerating or idling. I guess I will be bringing this up to the dealer at my 15k service!

r0me0ne: Can you tell me the TSB number or tell me what to say to the Toyota Technician to check?

I know my response is to an older thread but I will add my data point to the discussion for future reference. Im in Florida mid 90 and high humidity. When I start car after it sits overnight, the ac blows hot non cooled air for precisely 45-60 seconds. I know how ac works. This is unusual and unlike other cars I've owned over 40+ years.

As a comparison, my 2004 Corolla 130k and 2003 mr2 80k immediately blow cool air upon engine ignition.
The key point here is that it is obvious that the compressor is being activated at the same time the engine fires up in these 2 older vehicles. Not so with my 2015 S. You can feel the precise moment that cooler air finally exits the dash vents. This is not a lag time for residual hot air to get pushed out of the ductwork. Quite simply, the compressor clutch solenoid is not being commanded or energized 'on'. This 45-60 sec delay vanishes once the car is warmed up - meaning engine coolant is at operating temperature. Next on the agenda is to figure out why the toyo eng want to torture me with a blast furnace? It's so bad that I start the car and go back in the house for a few. I also agree this 2015 is a sluggish cooling performer in very high heat/humidity when parked and is good but not great. It takes longer to remove residual heat in the car and yes I do have a black interior which doesn't help. Tinted window film went on day2 ownership and that always helps...still...I miss the instant cold gratification of my 2004. Wifey still drives it and is quite happy since ac virility ranks tops on her list of must haves.

I know my response is to an older thread but I will add my data point to the discussion for future reference. Im in Florida mid 90 and high humidity. When I start car after it sits overnight, the ac blows hot non cooled air for precisely 45-60 seconds. I know how ac works. This is unusual and unlike other cars I've owned over 40+ years.

As a comparison, my 2004 Corolla 130k and 2003 mr2 80k immediately blow cool air upon engine ignition.
The key point here is that it is obvious that the compressor is being activated at the same time the engine fires up in these 2 older vehicles. Not so with my 2015 S. You can feel the precise moment that cooler air finally exits the dash vents. This is not a lag time for residual hot air to get pushed out of the ductwork. Quite simply, the compressor clutch solenoid is not being commanded or energized 'on'. This 45-60 sec delay vanishes once the car is warmed up - meaning engine coolant is at operating temperature. Next on the agenda is to figure out why the toyo eng want to torture me with a blast furnace? It's so bad that I start the car and go back in the house for a few. I also agree this 2015 is a sluggish cooling performer in very high heat/humidity when parked and is good but not great. It takes longer to remove residual heat in the car and yes I do have a black interior which doesn't help. Tinted window film went on day2 ownership and that always helps...still...I miss the instant cold gratification of my 2004. Wifey still drives it and is quite happy since ac virility ranks tops on her list of must haves.[