Alternative To SRI

I don't know if I'm the first to do this but after my last car 2012 sonic 1.4l turbo tuned @ 23lbs on e85 and 42lbers... I was wanting to do an intake. I got lazy and said I wouldnt do any custom work because i wanted to keep the car as clean as possible because I dont want to massively tune it out. However I also didnt want to spend $200+ on an intake. Honestly 30 minutes ago was the first time I ever personally looked under my hood... and I noticed something strange... the stock air box has a near identical setup to the one the sonic has however the sonic pulls air from the wheel well (cold air) thought our corolla intake did too? Look again... it makes a circle like a roller coaster and returns to the top to suck up engine bay heat! Remove one 10mm bolt up top holding the snorkel assembly in place (will need a fairly long extension 8" about) then Remove two 10mm bolts below to allow your splash guard to drop for access to the useless snorkel... removal after this requires some pressure, being annoyed, and keeping an eye to not snag any electrical. After its removed you haven't lost anything but the bottle neck restriction at the end of the snorkel where it flattens out, also it eliminates a curve and distance for air to reach your beautiful engine. When I started my car it respected when I pushed on the gas and returned me with a surprising rpm jump that is noticeably faster than before and also the intake had a little more growl. Nothing that is annoying loud however. Below is a photo of the snorkel removed! And after photo of the engine bay. Any questions are welcome! uploadfromtaptalk1406074054182.jpg

Square goes into air box. Flat end draws the air from the engine bay. No need for all that length and curve when it just loops up to nearly the exact same spot it come out of the air box from.

Distance the air travels isn't relevant before the mass air flow sensor. What adds power is ported intake manifolds and polished heads. What improves throttle response is the distance between the throttle valve and the intake valves.

A Corolla was designed as a car for fuel economy. Hotter air/fuel/engine temps means better atomization. Better atomization means better fuel economy, cleaner burning, and less emissions. Conversely, colder air is denser so you'll get more oxygen molecules per square inch of air. More oxygen molecules means more power.

Indeed, I am going to cut the small entrance on my sab into a circle and apply a flared port to it so its volume will be equal to the tubing going to the engine. Imo it has made a nice difference only removing the snorkel. It responds faster and from driving today I believe the mileage is slightly better. It will take a few tanks to prove that though.

After further inspection I have came up with a wrinkle in opening the SAB opening up larger due to a lack of room... Custom work is going to be difficult to do, especially a flare. However if anyone is wanting more flow via filter for there Corolla Part # 31-10150 AFE dryflow S is made for the 2010 Corolla. If you research on TRD website the air filter part # for the 2010 - 2014 Corolla 1.8L does not change, happy adventures running a Prodry S in our new Corollas!