Anyone Blacked Out Their Headlights Yet?

I baked the lights on my previous 4Runner and loved how it looked. My g/f's 14 S has hideous silver trim around the top and bottoms of the headlight assemblies and she wants it blacked out. I did a search and couldn't find anything on it. It can't be too difficult, remove assemblies, toss in oven, paint, reassemble but I was hoping someone had ventured there already.

You might paint or put film on the silver upper part, but I wouldn't mess with the lens itself or the bright surrounding of the assembly as it would reduce the efficiency of lightning and, as pointed out by Scott O'Kashan, would probably be illegal anyway.
(If it is any consolation, you already have some black around the LED bulb.)

Last edited:
In any state I know if, this is very illegal and can lead to an expensive ticket, as well as being dangerous because of reduced night vision.
Yeah, that's absolutely not true at all. It's not illegal and it doesn't reduce the output of the lights. It simply changes the silver trim to black. The top strip has nothing to do with light output and the bottom silver trim is just that... trim. My g/f and I are both police officers so our mods stay legal and we're very familiar with the law. See this thread for further since you're not familiar with it.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...acked-out-headlight-thread-diy-lots-pics.html

Not sure if this board supports "mentions" but @jolly that's what we're looking for basically but inside the light as the "eyebrows" look like an afterthought instead of factory clean. We'll bake them and I'll do a write up.

Last edited:
Wait, why not use a multitool and open them that way? The LEDs inside the headlight are still unknown components and as such no one knows what large amounts of heat can do to them...

Yeah, that's absolutely not true at all. It's not illegal and it doesn't reduce the output of the lights. It simply changes the silver trim to black. The top strip has nothing to do with light output and the bottom silver trim is just that... trim. My g/f and I are both police officers so our mods stay legal and we're very familiar with the law. See this thread for further since you're not familiar with it.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-g...acked-out-headlight-thread-diy-lots-pics.html

Not sure if this board supports "mentions" but @jolly that's what we're looking for basically but inside the light as the "eyebrows" look like an afterthought instead of factory clean. We'll bake them and I'll do a write up.
Well, now that you know about the mention, it will disappear...
It sure would look nice. I've wondered why Toyota didn't take full advangate of narrow LED headlights in their desing (like Furia)

As for the law, I don't know about US but here (Canada-Québec) it simply says : " Reducing the brightness of headlights, lights and reflectors regardless of the technique used is prohibited". So a cosmetic mod would be legal but if a police officer has a doubt, you end up having to justifiy yourself in court. You might win, but what a royal "pita" ! I think there was a US case like that a few years ago : a guy wilth a Pontiac Grand Prix (with dark tail lights straight frome the assembly line) had to contest a ticket.

Wait, why not use a multitool and open them that way? The LEDs inside the headlight are still unknown components and as such no one knows what large amounts of heat can do to them...
It's a lot easier to screw up the sealing surfaces if you use a multitool. Using an oven is the easiest way to do it. I've never heard of heat having ill-effects on LEDs but I'm no engineer.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

First... the lights are sealed to keep moisture out. They're not just screwed together. If you clicked the link I provided, you would see what I mean.

Second, LEDs generate a ton of heat so 225 degrees in an oven isn't going to hurt them.

Third, they're packed in an engine bay next to components that get extremely hot so see above.

LED lights will hang in an oven (they're made of ceramic, it would take thousands of degrees to melt one); however, the solder on the electronics is a different story. At 250 F you should be safe, but I wouldn't push it beyond that.