Anyone else feel a bit of an understeer in their Corolla?

Greetings y'all. I've been driving my 2015 S+ for a solid six months now and, as I become more and more comfortable/acquainted with it, I have begun to notice what feels like a surprising amount of understeer when turning. Has anyone else had this kind of issue, or am I just being picky and/or crazy? And what would be a way to remedy this -- would something like a strut bar or an H-brace help? Any advice is much appreciated!

Yeah, add ALL the available suspension "safety" bars!

And... how come all the problems seem to be focused on the S models?
I have an LE (premium, if that makes a difference) and have had zero issues so far. Will these issues be something to look forward to?

Looks like you became a sensitive driver.

And not a regular driver! The understeer is engineered for safety. The strut brace will help you turn quicker without feeling loose. Remember to balance both ends of the car, or it'll feel weird/off. Tying up the strut towers will make the car feel more solid and predictable. And you'll be a more confident driver.

I always wanted upgraded polyurethane motor mounts for corolla!
Might have to fill the oem stock mounts with caulking polyurethane...

I wonder if Toyota strengthen the trim model chassis differently , like how honda does it?

Raza, have you tried Auto Cross? Or just play around in a parting lot? What types of roads do you test or enjoy your car at?

You S , manual tranny guys are the fun one!

Looks like you became a sensitive driver.

And not a regular driver! The understeer is engineered for safety. The strut brace will help you turn quicker without feeling loose. Remember to balance both ends of the car, or it'll feel weird/off. Tying up the strut towers will make the car feel more solid and predictable. And you'll be a more confident driver.

I always wanted upgraded polyurethane motor mounts for corolla!
Might have to fill the oem stock mounts with caulking polyurethane...

I wonder if Toyota strengthen the trim model chassis differently , like how honda does it?

Raza, have you tried Auto Cross? Or just play around in a parting lot? What types of roads do you test or enjoy your car at?

You S , manual tranny guys are the fun one!
The current feeling of turning is very strange, albeit understandable. I actually begin to notice this more when I drive with two hands as opposed to one -- that's when the effect becomes very apparent as I have to make more adjustments than expected. Definitely looking into the various bars and enhancements -- luckily, they're all relatively inexpensive when compared to other aftermarket parts for the Corolla.

Though I haven't done Auto Cross yet, I did take my Corolla to a track and got permission to take it for a spin to test things out... slightly unnerving to have a bunch of Corvette, Porsche and RX-7 owners watch me do a couple of laps. I'd imagine its almost like watching a toy car spin around out there!

I have been improving the handling characteristics since my car was new.
I have the TRD RSB, TRD strut tower brace, Megan racing H bracket, Ultra Racing RSB (yes, two different RSB's) and the Ultra Racing rear strut tower brace.
With each bar purchased separately and also installed that way, I have noticed improvements with every upgrade.
The car barely leans at 60 mph on highway exits. The ride is no more harsh than it was stock.
I am about to start working on shocks/struts this spring. And am on the fence between TRD spring or full coil overs. I doubt I will ever find myself at a track. But if I do.....
I've kinda worked my mods from the inside out since I'm still riding on stock wheels.
Never thought I would be doing all this work to a Corolla! But it's been a blast!
I have a couple shitty videos on YouTube if anyone is interested. Just search for my name. Comment Corolla forum if you find yourself watching. I'm going to update them and add new ones this spring, once I get a real camera. Hate making videos with this iPhone.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Understeer in a FWD car will be normal. Most of the car's weight is in the front plus the drivetrain is pulling the car as opposed to pushing it like a RWD. Doing suspension mods such as better springs and shocks, body rigidity type mods (h-brace, strut bar,etc.) will firm up the body so it doesn't feel loose, better tires, and weight reduction will all contribute to a better handling car. You also have to get used to the FWD layout of the car to take full advantage of it.

The current feeling of turning is very strange, albeit understandable. I actually begin to notice this more when I drive with two hands as opposed to one -- that's when the effect becomes very apparent as I have to make more adjustments than expected. Definitely looking into the various bars and enhancements -- luckily, they're all relatively inexpensive when compared to other aftermarket parts for the Corolla.

Though I haven't done Auto Cross yet, I did take my Corolla to a track and got permission to take it for a spin to test things out... slightly unnerving to have a bunch of Corvette, Porsche and RX-7 owners watch me do a couple of laps. I'd imagine its almost like watching a toy car spin around out there!
That's exactly the reason I haven't taken mine to a track yet! LOL

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
That's exactly the reason I haven't taken mine to a track yet! LOL
If you're talking about the sports car owners watching him do laps on the track, in my perspective, it wouldn't really bother me. If I were to go to a track, I'm going there for my own benefit which is to have fun and see what my own driving potential is and what my car's potential is. I'm not going to go just to show off to others so why should I care about what they think. If other people stare and judge you, let them. You'll be enjoying yourself and that's all that matters. So, if you really want to go to a track, I'd say try it. :)

Davy

Greetings y'all. I've been driving my 2015 S+ for a solid six months now and, as I become more and more comfortable/acquainted with it, I have begun to notice what feels like a surprising amount of understeer when turning. Has anyone else had this kind of issue, or am I just being picky and/or crazy? And what would be a way to remedy this -- would something like a strut bar or an H-brace help? Any advice is much appreciated!
I had the same problem when I first got mine. What I did was replace all the struts and the handling issue went away. KYB has a good kit. If you have the money add some performance bracing. It may put some understeer back on, but it will be waay more predictable.

All FWD cars understeer for safety. What you need to do is add better rear sway bar(s) to a FWD to make it more neutral. I've added many suspension upgrades to my 09 Corolla S and she handles so well it's not even funny. Here is my list.
1. BC Coilovers
2. TRD Rear Sway Bar
3. TRD Front Strut Brace
4. Ultra Racing 19mm RSB - you can mount both of these RSB's as they mount differently.
5. UR Rear Upper Strut Brace
6. UR Lower Front 3-point Chassis Brace
7. UR Lower Rear 2-Point Chassis Brace
8. UR Lower Side Chassis Braces

All FWD cars understeer for safety. What you need to do is add better rear sway bar(s) to a FWD to make it more neutral. I've added many suspension upgrades to my 09 Corolla S and she handles so well it's not even funny. Here is my list.
1. BC Coilovers
2. TRD Rear Sway Bar
3. TRD Front Strut Brace
4. Ultra Racing 19mm RSB - you can mount both of these RSB's as they mount differently.
I'm planning on getting the TRD sway bar, strut brace and springs sometime in March or April; after I put on a new set of tires. I found the Front Brace for the 2013 Corolla model, but I wonder if it fits the 2015... I'm definitely gonna be adding more throughout the year, too. Thanks for the list, really helps narrow things down!

I'm planning on getting the TRD sway bar, strut brace and springs sometime in March or April; after I put on a new set of tires. I found the Front Brace for the 2013 Corolla model, but I wonder if it fits the 2015... I'm definitely gonna be adding more throughout the year, too. Thanks for the list, really helps narrow things down!
PTR11-12080?
TRD strut tower brace fits 2009 and up, yours included.

1. BC Coilovers
2. TRD Rear Sway Bar
3. TRD Front Strut Brace

What year is the car in these pics?
And, do you know the part number for the side chassis pieces? I don't have those yet!

Are you kidding? The understeer on the stock suspension is horrible.

I got the TRD rear sway bar and that alone made a huge difference. Car has a very slight oversteer with it and it made cornering a lot better

In case anyone out there still wants to know, the TRD rear sway bar I just put on my 2013 LE Corolla made an IMMEDIATE difference. I'm actually less tense when I drive because I don't have to correct the understeer all the time. I bought it used with 28,000 miles on it, and I've been replacing worn out suspension parts since I bought it, hoping that they would make the difference to tighten up the steering. Of course ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, and sway bar links made a difference but I was very confused when it STILL didn't handle very well after all of that work. I might get crap for "wasting" parts that weren't worn out, so, disclaimer, I replaced those parts when they were worn, at about 75,0000 miles. I replaced the front sway bar bushings at the same time as I upgraded the sway bar to the stiffer TRD one, but I test drove it in between jobs so I was sure that it was the TRD improving things, not just the bushings (which cost about $30 OEM compared to $200 TRD sway bar). I was amazed by the difference. I might be extra sensitive to how my car rides than some other people, but I could tell the difference when I SAT in it, and I weigh 160 pounds. The difference I felt was that my car didn't wobble as much (which of course I at first thought was just in my head, but I feel it every time I sit in it). If you want turns and those micro-corrections you make while driving straight to be more accurate and less frequent, a stiffer rear sway bar should be your first upgrade IMO. I bought the TRD one because it was built by the manufacturer and I don't want any mysterious issues arising. I hear the Megan Racing sway bars are good, and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if some companies buy TRD bars from Toyota overstock and are allowed to rebrand them. No company is perfectly efficient, and they need to move excess product. Anyway, I had a hard time finding a thorough explanation of the sway bar upgrade experience so there is my long-winded addition to the topic.

In case anyone out there still wants to know, the TRD rear sway bar I just put on my 2013 LE Corolla made an IMMEDIATE difference. I'm actually less tense when I drive because I don't have to correct the understeer all the time. I bought it used with 28,000 miles on it, and I've been replacing worn out suspension parts since I bought it, hoping that they would make the difference to tighten up the steering. Of course ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, and sway bar links made a difference but I was very confused when it STILL didn't handle very well after all of that work. I might get crap for "wasting" parts that weren't worn out, so, disclaimer, I replaced those parts when they were worn, at about 75,0000 miles. I replaced the front sway bar bushings at the same time as I upgraded the sway bar to the stiffer TRD one, but I test drove it in between jobs so I was sure that it was the TRD improving things, not just the bushings (which cost about $30 OEM compared to $200 TRD sway bar). I was amazed by the difference. I might be extra sensitive to how my car rides than some other people, but I could tell the difference when I SAT in it, and I weigh 160 pounds. The difference I felt was that my car didn't wobble as much (which of course I at first thought was just in my head, but I feel it every time I sit in it). If you want turns and those micro-corrections you make while driving straight to be more accurate and less frequent, a stiffer rear sway bar should be your first upgrade IMO. I bought the TRD one because it was built by the manufacturer and I don't want any mysterious issues arising. I hear the Megan Racing sway bars are good, and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if some companies buy TRD bars from Toyota overstock and are allowed to rebrand them. No company is perfectly efficient, and they need to move excess product. Anyway, I had a hard time finding a thorough explanation of the sway bar upgrade experience so there is my long-winded addition to the topic.
You're not wrong. Upgrading to the TRD RSB is the best thing and makes the biggest difference. As I keep adding bars to my 2009 Corolla S it just kept getting better and better. It handles great now and with the added power from being turbocharged now I love it more than ever.