ATF Replacement Cycle?

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Why this is called a Maintenance free car for 110K miles. magic words there are "except" and that says:

The corolla will get inspected every two years or at around 20,000 miles, does not say Change!

Using standard run of the mill petroleum crude oil based ATF, it's very wise to change it every 30,000 miles for long, low cost, trouble free transmission life. :thumbsup:

I bought my car 3 month ago and my concern about to change ATF...
I tried today to drain a little bit ATF and it's still red transpaent.

And...
This is what the label on my dipstick says:
NOTICE: No need to replace ATF under normal driving condition.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Flash? The History of your Car, are you the original owner, if not, are there any records of the previous owner, and what their schedule maintenance was like?

On a towel the ATF RED! like syrup candy apple syrup? How does it smell when the Engine is warmed up? and lastly do not taste it but feel it, does it have a smooth feel or grit feel?

I am no pro, and can not tell you how to go about your cars maintenance nor anyone online, even if it is a Car forum, on that note keep us posted again what you are going to do?

No history, I bought it from Subaru dealership.
I know there was only one owner.
When I changed oil filter, it was not Toyota filter, but Fram filter.
So it's mean that owner did not maintain car in Toyota.

Yes, it was red on a towel, like candy apple syrup.
For the avoidance of doubt I think I'll need to change ATF.

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Thanks Flash. History of the car, with Carfax is as only as good as a person bringing it in to a dealer. since the Fram filter is a sign, I did not see a dealer still , you can ask at the dealer, to pull up the records on it, if they do not mind. today everything works on a VIN number?

Keep us posted how it goes. Remember certain makes and models do not go through a flush system, at all.

I wonder when we watch formula races , what they do at Pit stops? (smiles)

If the car doesn't have a trailer hitch attached to it, then chances are the conditions that would warrant an automatic transmission fluid change are not needed. You can, however, change it for peace of mind. It's not like you can change it too often, so you're good there. I know newer cars are starting to extend the ATF change intervals, much like they are doing with the oil change intervals. Just make sure you replace it with a fluid that meets or exceeds Toyota's specifications, otherwise the fluid won't last as long as designed and will cause damage.

Best bet, use Toyota's fluid when you change it, since they have tested it over long intervals and are satisfied with a low-maintenance long-interval service on the fluid.

My Totota User Manual recommend to use: Toyota ATF WS.
As I mentioned to you before, yes that's the correct transmission fluid for your vehicle; Toyota WS rated transmission fluid, which is not a brand but a performance standard. There are many different brand automatic transmission fluids that meet or exceed the Toyota WS performance standard.

Last edited:
From my website -

2009 TOYOTA COROLLA 1.8L 4-cyl Engine Code 2ZR-FE

CAPACITIES: Engine, with filter..........4.4 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........5.8 quarts
Automatic Transmission, U250E Initial Fill..........3.7 quarts
Automatic Transmission, U341E Initial Fill..........3.1 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
4 speed U341E..........6.9 quarts
5 speed U250E..........8.2 quarts
Manual Transmission, C59 (5-SPD)..........4 pints
[1] After refill check oil level.

Last edited:
Very strange:
On my Owner's Manual Book mention capacity of 2.6 qt (2.5L)
And on Toyota Portal it's: 6.9 qt. (6.5 L):
http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM12D65U/pdf/sec_06-01.pdf
From experience...

If you drain from the drain plug, you'll get about 2.6 quarts out.

If you then drop the transmission pan, you'll up that to about 3 quarts.

My 1.8L 2010 has a real filter, not a screen, so I replaced it. It was laden with metal fines, and the magnets at the bottom of the pan were loaded as well, so I cleaned them off before putting it back together.

I plan on doing drain-and-fills on a regular basis for the rest of the life of the car. Toyota specifically recommends against power flush-and-fills, but my dealer was eager to offer me the service. Avoid at all costs.

From experience...

If you drain from the drain plug, you'll get about 2.6 quarts out.

If you then drop the transmission pan, you'll up that to about 3 quarts.

My 1.8L 2010 has a real filter, not a screen, so I replaced it. It was laden with metal fines, and the magnets at the bottom of the pan were loaded as well, so I cleaned them off before putting it back together.

I plan on doing drain-and-fills on a regular basis for the rest of the life of the car. Toyota specifically recommends against power flush-and-fills, but my dealer was eager to offer me the service. Avoid at all costs.
That is correct. If you pull the pan and replace the filter, you will get 3.1 qts out of the system. If you do a full flush and get the fluid out of the torque converter then you'll get right around 6.9 qts out.

Fluid flushes are just fine if your transmission is in good shape! If your transmission is not in good shape then a fluid flush may wreck it.

20,000 Miles is an inspection period. Check for leaks check for color. You want a red color with no burnt smell. I changed my 2009 corolla with the 1.8L and an auto at 100,000. I changed it again at 120,000. Why?? I wanted to be sure it was all fresh. Just draining the pan only drains half of the torque convertor. Per Toyota specs. DO NOT CHANGE FILTER, AND DROP PAN. They installed a lifetime filter from the factory. Its a drain and refill only unit. I don't believe in the lifetime transmission fluid nonsense. Its Hydraulic it looses its additive package overtime. It also looses its ability to protect. It also gets contaminated with clutch material from use, and wear. Its a lot cheaper to change the fluid then it is to buy a new transmission. I bought the Toyota branded Ws fluid from the dealer. Amsoil didn't have it available at the time.........

Again, why it's so short for Corolla? 32000km / 20000mi !!!
Not top material build?!