Buying Corolla S - 150,000 Miles

Hello,
I joined the forum just to ask you guys a question. I am really considering a '05 Corolla S 5 speed. The car seems to be in pretty good shape. It was owned by a younger girl possibly in her late teens early 20's. My only other options in my price range are various Cobalts and Ford Focus's. I wanted your input on this since I know the Corolla's have an impeccable reliability record.

I'd look for lower miles if you could, but Corollas are known to exceed 250,000 miles. I'd have an independent mechanic check everything out before paying anything for it. And check kbb.com to see what a private party sale price is.

I bought my corolla s with 152 miles on it i believe or something close to that. Its a great car and they do last as long as you dont over rev them all the time. Mine now has 163k miles on it and the engine feels solid. take it for a drive and see how you like it, i love mine and the gas mileage is very very good. I would not pay more then 3800 for it. i got mine for 3600. 2003.

Also if there are any problems with it Toyota corollas normally do not cost a whole lot. I work with my dad at his shop and fixing it wont be as bad as fixing a bmw or a ford even. Depends on the problem of course but they do last. it would be a smart buy if you ask me

Thank you guys so much for your feedback. It is at a local used car lot. They are asking $8900 for it, but they have come down to around $7k. Should I keep hassling them? NADA has it at $7400 clean retail, while KBB has it at $5200. What do you guys think?

Get it checked out, and see if you can talk them down to $6500 or so.

Keep in mind, if you do 3 years of payments, you are going to be close to 200,000 miles by the time you pay it off, which means you may be turning around and getting another car right after paying it off. At 200,000 you start getting issues, and that is on any car.

I'd look for 5 years of payments and something with 50,000 miles on the clock or less, but that is my personal opinion.

Keep in mind, if you do 3 years of payments, you are going to be close to 200,000 miles by the time you pay it off, which means you may be turning around and getting another car right after paying it off. At 200,000 you start getting issues, and that is on any car.

I'd look for 5 years of payments and something with 50,000 miles on the clock or less, but that is my personal opinion.
It's a valid one. Good point.

It's a valid one. Good point. But I do have $5000 cash to hit them with, so maybe I can sway things in my direction.

There are a bazillion Corolla's for sale. No worries. This provides you the opportunity to find another out of those bazillions with lower mileage and a better price. :thumbsup: :)

This is one reason why a Corolla shouldn't cost a lot, because there are so many of them out there to choose from. Supply and demand.

Last edited:
There are a bazillion Corolla's for sale. No worries. This provides you the opportunity to find another out of those bazillions with lower mileage and a better price. :thumbsup: :)

This is one reason why a Corolla shouldn't cost a lot, because there are so many of them out there to choose from. Supply and demand.
Some people think because it is a Toyota they can charge out the ass for it. I'd be willing to bet good money the dealership paid $4k for it too.

Unfortunately, it's whatever the market will bear. Personally I refuse to pay inflated prices for a four cylinder economy car. If more folks would take this stance, the prices would come down. $5,000 +++ for a 150,000 + mile, tired economy car? Right. No way Jose. :thumbdown:

Yeah i wouldnt pay more then 4k for that car man. Tell them all the details about the car, high miles and its a low maintenance car. Its not a bmw so i dont know why they would charge 8k for it thats crazy. Haggle them if you can get it in the 4's.