Cheap Upgrade: LED Interior Dome Light - 2003 Corolla

robb6

Cheap upgrade PART I: Change 2003 Toyota Corolla interior dome light to a bright, aftermarket LED light bulb.

The yellowish interior dome light is weak and depressing, so I want to brighten things up. I went ahead and bought the inexpensive 12V 31mm SMD LED Light Bulbs (see my blog for more details) to replace the dome light.

It is pretty easy to remove the plastic cover of the dome light. I just use my finger nail to pry open the cover alone the edge.

Factory light bulb:

It is pretty easy to remove the light bulb. First, slide the light bulb towards the "hook shape" metal spring to the other edge of the bulb comes free.

Pull the light bulb out as the shown in the arrow. No tools needed!

These are the replacement LED light bulbs. They are pretty cheap. Again, please take a look at my blog for more details about where to buy those

Put the LED light bulb in:

Let there be light!

The light bulb is really bright, I took this shot during day time and it still looks very nice. I will took another shot at night and you will see the difference.

This is a cheap and useful upgrade. I am very happy with the result and wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

Stay tuned for PART II, where I will upgrade the two map lights under the rear view mirror!

fishycomics

Super Moderator
thanks for the share, I heard stories of burning, things out so for me it is a decision, right now its light out ut when Winter days come it will brighten things up. Love it for the trunk a super real poor design if asked

Robb, there is plastic that pretty much encases half the bulb for the entire length, so oversized won't fit. I have a 4-LED 31mm I got off superbrightleds.com. I found a 6-LED version that is just slightly oversized from vleds.com so I need to get the measurement and see if it will fit in mine without the LED touching the plastic itself.

I kinda hate that the 4-LED isn't as bright as the 6-LED 921s I have in the map lights, but it is kinda nice because if someone uses it to read in the back while I drive at night, the glare from a bright bulb won't annoy me ... but I would still like it a little bit brighter. I did ask superbrightleds.com if they could release a twin high-power LED version of the 31mm festoon that isn't oversized but I haven't gotten a reply yet.

Also, if you want to see my LEDs go on the 2014 Corolla section and search for my threads. I have one for the interior, another for the reverse lights, another for the brighter reverse lights + brake lights, and another for the fog lights.