Clanking Sound

Hello All! Hope everyone is ok.
While i am driving my corolla 2008, i am hearing a clanking sound. it almost sounds like a small metal pipe is being dragged on the road for a few seconds. it is not constant. the sound has no rhythm to it.
just random clanking for a few seconds and then it is fine for a minute or two. i was driving around 25mph. can you guys please let me know what you think it is?
i do want you guys to know that i engage and test the hand brake once a while and i used it a few hours ago to slow down a hill from 50mph to 0 mph. ( if this might have done something.)
i am very positive it is coming from the back bottom of the car.

The sound is occurring during normal driving not just during braking. i just got the brake shoes changed last year.

when i am braking the sound is coming to a stop in tandem with the car .
EDIT: The sound is similar to a railroad crossing bell!!
thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup::):thumbup::thumbup1::clap::party::balloon::rockon:

Well, an obvious question is have you looked under the car to see if anything is loose, hanging down and hitting the ground, as you suggest that is what is sounds like?

yes i did check the entire car and also the cv joints. nothing is loose or leaking. i kept driving around the block for 10 minutes and the sound seems to occur when i drove past 30 mph.

Many times with unidentified noises, the best way to go about diagnosing them is when the car is up in the air on a lift. It will get worse before it gets better, so try to have it looked at as soon as possible. There are very many possible causes of noises in a car.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
First off you never ever use a hand brake to slow down or come to a stop it is a parking brake and if the situation is a complete emergency were the cars well being is not the priority then you use it you could of snapped something in the brake line leading to the rear parking brake I would take to a competent mechanic tell him what you did and let him take a look. The noise disappearance is not good could mean you broke it completely only time you use parking brake while moving is in rentals lol hahahaha

Thank Heavens the noise is gone!! i drive a few miles and nothing is heard.
I once had a noise coming from under the hood of my car and it went away. I pulled over to investigate and found the alternator had literally snapped in half! The alternator bearing had gone bad, (where the noise was coming from), and then seized, snapping the alternator in half, making the noise stop. It certainly wasn't good though! :blink::D

Using the parking brake puts so much heat and damage on the rear brakes it is not even funny. About 70% of your stopping power comes from the front brakes. Using only the rears is putting them way, way, way over design. The proper way to test it is to find a hill and put the car in neutral, then see if the parking brake holds the car (and usually you don't even have to do this because the level will lift way up further than normal when you use it ... telling you that the rear brakes are worn).

My money is something failed back there from overheating.