Corolla Road Trip

Kev250R

This is my other car
So for the first time since I've owned it (three years, though a relative was driving it for most of that time until last month) I took a trip in my Corolla for a work/pleasure trip to Las Vegas with a friend. Here are a few things I learned: :yes:

1) The stock radio will pick-up AM talk radio from LA just before dawn.

2) 80 is where this car wants to cruise at on the open-highway.

3) There are a lot of grey Corolla's like mine in 'Vegas. I walked-up to the wrong one more than once.

4) If you stay at Bally's on the strip, your car will be staying at the Paris next door.

5) Driving a Corolla down the strip does not make it cool.

6) Added all together the numbers in a Corolla's gauge cluster equal 3,118

7) 80 on the highway equals 3,200 RPM and makes for a lot of engine noise.

8) Semi's look larger from inside a Corolla.

9) A grey Corolla looks out-of-place at a truck stop (it's where my fleet card works)

10) After 500 miles my friends still refer to it as 'the boring car' :laughing:

Seriously it did great, a little low on power for some of the grades but it stayed-up with traffic fine and even saw 90 a couple of times. Sunday afternoon we made it from Northern Orange County to the southern-end of the strip in 3.5 hours, stopping once in Baker for 10 minutes. My best time ever though typically when I go to Vegas I'm towing or fighting weekend traffic.

Kevin

Last edited:

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Road trips in a 4banger is pretty rough due to engine noise which is reason I won't take my rolla on a long road trip and lack of cruise control and I get better mpg in a v6 prolly cuts I can hold 120 at 3k rpm lol and I have power to pass. And your more than right trucks are gibungous in a rolla

Kev250R

This is my other car
Not counting my two air-cooled VW's my Corolla is the only four-cylinder vehicle I own. Typically I take long trips in my Silverado which is a great truck for road trips (comfy seats, a stereo which will start earthquakes and it'll tow anything I drop onto it's bumper) and since most of my road trips generally revolve around off-roading or camping it's normally the vehicle of choice. For a 'Vegas trip with nothing being hauled or towed though it just didn't make sense (plus parking it is a pain, it doesn't fit in parking structures).

The engine noise really wasn't that bad, the stereo allowed us to tune it out most of the time except for passing. I'm thinking about going to the bay area in a couple of months and won't hesitate to take the Corolla. According to Fuelly I averaged 31 MPG going-up there (which included some city driving in Vegas since the Hotel where I stayed was ten miles or so from where the class I was taking was being held). According to the fuel gauge I used less fuel coming home (barely half a tank) though I parked it last night without buying gas so I don't know for sure what MPG it got.

As far as driving 120 MPH goes, not for me thanks. My job requires I keep a clean driving record, plus the highway going from LA to Las Vegas is a magnet for speeders and cops. Both ways we saw a lot of people pulled-over presumably for speeding. 80 was ten over what the limit is and seemed to be a good pace for me and the car.

Kevin

Kev250R

This is my other car
Do you think that would work? :laughing: For the record it was mainly in the open desert where I ran that speed. And even at that speed I was getting passed like I was going 60 ;)

Kevin

Wow, talk about speed demons.

Might be wise to invest in a radar detector. If it saves you from just one speeding ticket, it would pay for itself. The additional peace of mind is nice too.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
Hey when there's 1400 miles to go to get home and the roads are deserted and completely flat the car is more than capable of it it was smooth as 40

But are the tires capable of the sustained high speed driving?

What if a deer, or whatever, suddenly jumps out into the road in front of you?

What about the police?

I remember when I was driving down the highway one day doing 20 mph over the speed limit and a news report came on the radio about speeding, reporting that anything 20 mph + over the posted speed limit is a felony, punishable with jail time and immediate revocation of your drivers license. I was shocked! :eek:

That changed my driving habits forever. I immediately set the cruise control for the posted speed limit and always have ever since then. No expensive speeding tickets and higher insurance premiums, a lot of money saved on fuel with better fuel economy, the tires last a lot longer and no more having to look for police with their radar guns has also reduced a lot of stress for me while driving. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Kev250R

This is my other car
Scott, I've never been much a fan of radar detectors, though I've never used one. Most of the time I'm within 5-10MPH of the limit. Plus in the open portion of my state a lot of the patrolling (and ticketing) is done by air. If you know where to look and are paying attention you can normally spot where the ground units are hiding. It helps too that the Corolla is good at blending-in :rolleyes:

When I was in my 20's I used to drive fast (I saw 100 a couple of times in my Toyota T100 when it and I were younger) and used to borrow a family member's Lexus ES for late-night, triple-digit runs to the river or 'Vegas but now I can't remember the last time I drove faster than 90. I normally just cruise at about 70 and enjoy the ride :D

Kevin

AM travels best on a clear night. I've picked up stations as far as Chicago in the middle of nowhere on U.S. 395 from San Diego to Reno.

You can also hear Jupiter's magnetosphere through AM when we pass it in orbit.

As far as driving 120 MPH goes, not for me thanks. My job requires I keep a clean driving record, plus the highway going from LA to Las Vegas is a magnet for speeders and cops. Both ways we saw a lot of people pulled-over presumably for speeding. 80 was ten over what the limit is and seemed to be a good pace for me and the car.

Kevin
Driving triple digit speeds = lost license in CA ... and a reckless driving ticket that stays on your record for 5 years. Not worth it.

Hey when there's 1400 miles to go to get home and the roads are deserted and completely flat the car is more than capable of it it was smooth as 40
My record time from my apartment in Reno, NV to my Dad's house in Escondido, CA (where I live now) was 4 hours and 47 minutes (back when I was younger and more of a speed demon). Thanksgiving day very very early morning. I did the speed limit through the towns, but the second the speed limit went from 35 to 65, I went wide open throttle until the next town.

That was back before CHP mass-hired in 2004 and 395 was like an Autobahn. Now there is ALWAYS at least three people pulled over every time I make that drive and police are all over the place. Cruise control at 68 m.p.h. and I keep myself from getting tickets on that drive.

Kev250R

This is my other car
I agree DK, 395 is one of my favorite drives but it's loaded with CHP. I get it though, there are a lot of horrific, deadly crashes out there, especially on the stretch between Randsburg and Adelanto. It really needs to be four-lanes, at least to Ridgecrest. It would make it a lot safer.

Kevin

Last time I was out there it looked like they were working on Kramer Junction to 4 lanes. A lot better than it was back in 2000 when you only had 4 lanes from Bridgeport to Bishop and that was it until Inyokern, then right back to 2 lanes after the 14 split off.

carlile92

Corolla Rookie
My tires at the time were primacy mxv4 and they were well within there speed rating. Also down south the highways are flat and straight for miles I could see everything. And believed me I was not only one hauling ass I had companyx

Last edited:
In flat, open terrain, the police can also easily see you coming and so do their radar guns. 20+ mph over the speed limit is a felony which can be punishable with jail time. Might not be worth it.

Hey there! I have a Corrola too and it`s still works fine. One year ago i had a trip from California to Seattle. It took a while for me and I discovered that I can do more, like car camping with my family. I`ve asked my good friend about it and he gave me some suggestions about it. One of them is located on the site , where anyone can find the basic information about «basics» its called https://wildproofgear.com/ . Here I found some new options like camping showers, rechargeable lanterns , folding tables and more. I think it would take me some time but I wanna use this in the near future. Hope that information will be useful for anyone.