cvt transmission fluid check

how can you check the transmission fluid on a 2014 corolla that doesn't have a dipstick and how often does the transmission fluid needs to be change.

I'm no mechanic, but basically you don't check the level of fluid as much as its condition. It's a special procedure involving some electronic tools.
Toyota is not that clear about fluid change and you always get a fierce debate every time the question is asked, with answers varying from 10,000 to never...
No definitive answer on that one, so I'd go with whatever interval reassure you and/or whenever fluid test shows degradation.

Changed mine at 60k
No, but now that you said it I have the request in to do it.
A big thank you for this great sharing ! As mentioned here and elsewhere, color isn't everything : like motor oil that doesn't remain sparkly and suddenly become dark and useless the morning of the day you reach 10K.
The idea of an analysis is even greater ! Not sure how many of us would know how odd or abnormal presence of "X" particles would be.

Also of interest would be :
a) What prompted a fluid change : precaution (fine!), a specific behavior or problem with the CVT ?
b) Are the pictures random sample or was there really less oil before the change (evaporation would not be a good sign) ?
c) How about the procedure ? My understanding is that you need some electronic tool at a specific temp and a full flush.

Anyway, thanks again and we could all be reassured that after 5 years (3 in NA) no trend of complaint has surge about this K-313 CVT (contrary to GM/Fiat, Nissan, Honda, Audi...)

Out of curiosity, what fluid are you guys using for the CVT change? I have always been partial to either Amsoil or Redline transmission fluid in the past, but I think Redline is the only one that makes CVT fluid. Is there a transmission fluid filter to change as well?

koby

A big thank you for this great sharing ! As mentioned here and elsewhere, color isn't everything : like motor oil that doesn't remain sparkly and suddenly become dark and useless the morning of the day you reach 10K.
The idea of an analysis is even greater ! Not sure how many of us would know how odd or abnormal presence of "X" particles would be.

Also of interest would be :
a) What prompted a fluid change : precaution (fine!), a specific behavior or problem with the CVT ?
b) Are the pictures random sample or was there really less oil before the change (evaporation would not be a good sign) ?
c) How about the procedure ? My understanding is that you need some electronic tool at a specific temp and a full flush.

Anyway, thanks again and we could all be reassured that after 5 years (3 in NA) no trend of complaint has surge about this K-313 CVT (contrary to GM/Fiat, Nissan, Honda, Audi...)
A) Preventative maintence
B) Random Sample
C) Per the TIS instructions, you can do it with the toyota techstream software or by jumping two ports on the OBD II port and putting the car into fluid detection mode

koby

Out of curiosity, what fluid are you guys using for the CVT change? I have always been partial to either Amsoil or Redline transmission fluid in the past, but I think Redline is the only one that makes CVT fluid. Is there a transmission fluid filter to change as well?
I would only trust oem Toyota CVT-FE, how the CVT works depends to much on fluid viscosity that I had major reservations about going with other transmission fluids.

DTG

Koby,
Did you do a change by dropping the pan, or a flush? If you dropped the pan did that get all the fluid out? I know there isn't a torque converter holding fluid, but I figure there is still some in lines that won't easily drain.

Thanks!

I would only trust oem Toyota CVT-FE, how the CVT works depends to much on fluid viscosity that I had major reservations about going with other transmission fluids.
That is my concern as well, and is in fact a concern on nearly all of the latest traditional automatics due to how they run. I am mostly curious if anyone here has tried it with Redline. I suspect that we won't know until this generation of Corollas start racking up some more miles.

I have a 2014 LE ECO with 250k miles on it. Never changed the cvt fluid. It still works like it should. The dealer told me there's no need to change it for the life of the car.

I have a 2015 LE bought in October 2014. It has reached around 17k kilometers, around 11k miles. The dealer told me that for the next service, which is scheduled at 20k kilometers, around 13k miles, the ctv must have an oil change... I think it's kind of exaggerated and for sure it is going to be an expensive service, but otherwise the guarantee is void.

I have a 2015 LE bought in October 2014. It has reached around 17k kilometers, around 11k miles. The dealer told me that for the next service, which is scheduled at 20k kilometers, around 13k miles, the ctv must have an oil change... I think it's kind of exaggerated and for sure it is going to be an expensive service, but otherwise the guarantee is void.
That doesn't sound right.. you sure?

The dealer told me that for the next service, which is scheduled at 20k kilometers, around 13k miles, the ctv must have an oil change... I think it's kind of exaggerated and for sure it is going to be an expensive service, but otherwise the guarantee is void.
No way. Either a misunderstanding or a scam. Should the CVT needs - in the sense of absolutely has to have it - a fluid change so soon then there is a problem with it and should indeed be covered by warranty. Otherwise Toyota's own schedule maintenance per the owner booklet says a check (electronic procedure) every 30K miles and a fluid change at 60K (for severe usage) or whenever a next periodic check shows it is required.

Thomas

How many miles is the cvt expected lifespan? 200k, 250k?
The warranty on it is 5 years, 50k miles. The warranty on time-tested automatic transmissions is 10 years, 100k miles. I haven't heard of any educated guesses, but if I had to make an uneducated guess, I would say between 100k and 200k miles based on the warranties.

Thanks Thomas. I have always serviced a reg auto trans at designated intervals and that has been my experience....between 100-200k.

Looking to get 200k+ on my 2004 Corolla, but skeptical if that is doable on my 2015 S+ cvt. Perhaps I'll do a dealer fluid change at 48k just prior to warranty expiration to catch any surprises. My cvt is doing great so far at 25k but I'm pretty easy on it...

Changed mine at 60k

60k old fluid
I'm looking to change my CVT oil, but how you take the plastic plug off the top to fill it? It just pops off? A writeup on this would be really really helpful.
I'm also having trouble finding the fluid from the dealer for a reasonable price. How much is the expected price? I've been quoted up to $100 per quart by Santa Monica Toyota. Where can I find it cheaper, anywhere online? Anyone have the part #?
Thanks.

I've been quoted up to $100 per quart by Santa Monica Toyota. Where can I find it cheaper, anywhere online?
$100 a quart ? Are you sure ? Sound more like the price for the whole 8 quarts or so required... If so, I can't imagine their price to do the job with $800 just for fluid ! Anyway, just google "Toyota Genuine CVTF FE"

$100 a quart ? Are you sure ? Sound more like the price for the whole 8 quarts or so required... If so, I can't imagine their price to do the job with $800 just for fluid ! Anyway, just google "Toyota Genuine CVTF FE"
The guy there must've been new, but that's what he said, $400 for four bottles. 8 quarts for $100 sounds reasonable.

Good morning,

@koby - How many quarts of fluid did you use and what kind/brand? I'm coming up on 60k (much of it highway) and would like to service the transmission.

Jose