Defrosters - Is There a Way to Turn Off A/C

fishycomics

Super Moderator
When the defroster goes on, the ac runs, cannot turn off is there a way to bipass it???

On my Honda. it was hold ac and inside, turn climate from cold to hot to cold, and ac can now be turned on and off by pressing it in defroster mode.

You wouldn't want the A.C. deactivated in the wintertime because the internal moving parts of the A.C. compressor wouldn't be lubricated with oil and would be likely to rust. Then when warm weather comes around again and the A.C. is turned back on, uh-oh! A.C. compressor replacements can be very expensive.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
You wouldn't want the A.C. deactivated in the wintertime because the internal moving parts of the A.C. compressor wouldn't be lubricated with oil and would be likely to rust. Then when warm weather comes around again and the A.C. is turned back on, uh-oh! A.C. compressor replacements can be very expensive.

Scott O'Kashan. So let me go off topic to my question. And get right back on topic.

The Ac can be turned ON by hitting the Ac button, correct? Yes!

when on defroster it is Forced ON, correct? Yes!

How do you turn that setting Off, when it is on Defroster mode?

the procedure will be.......

the procedure for my other car was, hold the inside, and ac together, turn the cold to hot, and back to cold, let go the both buttons. and in defroster mode the ac can me turned ON or OFF.

I want it off the Automatic mode, to Manual Mode, like it is when I turn on the ac by hitting it in face , feet.

So for what you just told us does not relate to my question.

Last edited:
My advice to you was an attempt to help you avoid over $1,000 in A.C. system repair costs, so I feel it was very relevant to your question. Yes the A.C. compressor always engages when the vehicles defrost is turned on so as to avoid the expensive A.C. system damage I mentioned.

I hope this helps you out. :thumbsup: :)

fishycomics

Super Moderator
My advice to you was an attempt to help you avoid over $1,000 in A.C. system repair costs, so I feel it was very relevant to your question. Yes the A.C. compressor always engages when the vehicles defrost is turned on so as to avoid the expensive A.C. system damage I mentioned.

I hope this helps you out. :thumbsup: :)

thanks have a great day close the thread.

If I need to defrost ac is on, I will turn the heat up some, and keep to feet and defrost.

The Killer is feet and defrost, tell me heat will go to floor and cool to windshield .

Last edited:
The A/C system activates during defrost to ... well ... dehumidify the air. Humidity that causes fogging in the first place... If you disable it, windows will take longer to defog.

Floor/Defrost is so that some heat goes to the windshield and other heat toward your lower body. It doesn't put warm air out one and cool air out another... The heater core puts out more heat than the evaporator casing can absorb when the engine is warmed up.