Did I get ripped off when I bought my 2014 Corolla? Are these miles/gallons normal?

2014 Corolla LE Grade

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/2iHTg

So me and some buddies are deciding to go on a road trip and picked my car obviously because it's more fuel efficient. Calculating prices and all that via internet specs and stuff it's way cheaper than any other car at our disposal.

But I decided to fill it up recently and click the display button to see how many miles this full tank of gas will get me, and it said 260. The picture at the bottom now says 234 because I took this photo a day later, but full tank it says 260. Is this normal? Should it be higher? I'm looking at the right thing here...right?

Because doing that math would equate to me getting 19.6 mpg. Since the car holds 13.2 gallons. Right...?

The first 2 pictures are the mpg screen average which reads 25.4, which is still not 19.6 OR what the paper document I received with the car(2nd picture) says below. That paper slip says 32 combined mpg and 3.1 per 100 miles.

Doing this math again...I'm getting 3.1 per 83.87 miles.

So just what's going on here? Car is a year and a half old I'm guessing, about 5.5k miles on it, and I find out this now. Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

VTAK8k

2014 S Plus
Don't trust the onboard computers about your MPG's, it's usually off by a few anyways. I never pay attention to the distance to empty stat either. I figure it calculates that number off the current MPG average.

Fill your tank, drive your car. Try to fill up at the same station and pump next time and you should be able to find your actual MPG. Distance traveled divided by gallons put in.

Corolla Cop

2014 Corolla S Plus
I should make a correction, I should have said over 600 miles per tank. My gas light came on this morning and it had 600.1 miles on that tank but could have went another 40-50 miles easy.

VTAK8k

2014 S Plus
The only time our car gets that kind of mileage is if we're doing 45-50 mph. Any faster and it goes down, anytime we stop and have to start again, it goes down. You are getting incredible gas mileage!

Corolla Cop

2014 Corolla S Plus
The only time our car gets that kind of mileage is if we're doing 45-50 mph. Any faster and it goes down, anytime we stop and have to start again, it goes down. You are getting incredible gas mileage!
Yes, 46.1 mpg when I filled up this morning. The best I have done is 48.3. I try to stay around 50mph on the road and just drive conservatively. And use cruise control when possible.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Well what was the temp, tire pressure, I recheck your car see if it is t o spec, then retry some Mileage runs. don't pump those balloons to high

Use an app called Fuelly and track your mileage by your Odometer.

MPG is always affected by your foot and how hard you press the gas leaving stop lights or going up hills. Cruise when you can. If you drive like this already, then something is off with the fueling/injectors or another problem with it running rich. Make sure tires are inflated to spec.

If it's mostly highway, I get around 37-ish miles to the gallon...city, around 30. I don't do that slow driving stuff, namely because my family would kill me on long trips. I'll peg it at about 70-75 on the interstate and roll.

Wow, talk about hypermiling. I don't think I have the right type of roads or enough restraint to get anywhere near that kind of mileage.

Correction ... I only got 265 before I was on E.

Think I need to watch the lead foot with this new job ... 5 miles freeway and 10 miles city in SoCal traffic sucks!

My lowest MPG is 32 MPG my highest is on a longer trip (+5hrs) was 42.5 MPG (both manually calulated).

I have noticed that once I crossed 25,000 miles my MPG have seemed to increase a bit.

My cars computer readout is displaying 42.2 MPG this morning, but may last manually calulated was 40 MPG.

I do drive 80% on the interstate with low traffic volume.

My ECO light almost always on.

I got 2015 LE model.
I driver very smart, never push gas so hard. always drive smooth.

Almost 5000 miles, and never got over 350 miles per tank.

XEON

I hate this car MPG!

I do 85% city driving in New York City the best I got was 19 mpg the worse was 13 mpg. in Eco mode

With out Eco it's worse then that. So it stay on Eco.

I for the full tank it will NOT last a week.

This car is a highway car. Not a city car at all.

I thought it was my driving so I coasted more baby the gas pedal to see want I get wow i got whole 21 mpg. That's to much work to get 21mpg.

Went to dealer to see if anything was wrong no luck told me to drive more conservatively WoW.

Never seen 28 or 30's at all. Maybe it's time trade it in?

But I Love this car just hate the MPG.

I hate this car MPG!

I do 85% city driving in New York City the best I got was 19 mpg the worse was 13 mpg. in Eco mode

With out Eco it's worse then that. So it stay on Eco.

I for the full tank it will NOT last a week.

This car is a highway car. Not a city car at all.

I thought it was my driving so I coasted more baby the gas pedal to see want I get wow i got whole 21 mpg. That's to much work to get 21mpg.

Went to dealer to see if anything was wrong no luck told me to drive more conservatively WoW.

Never seen 28 or 30's at all. Maybe it's time trade it in?

But I Love this car just hate the MPG.
very unusual

XEON

Tell me about it..

I full up on Saturday morning now I'm at a line over half a tank and it's only Tuesday.

My co-works laugh and stats that my corolla is a V8 mustang without the power
but burns gas like one!

Not giving up just yet... As for the Prius HELL NO!:mad:

XEON

In a few months we are going to DC and back that's a 4hr one way.

IF I don't get better gas mileage by then. I'll get me another car.

Will see.

XEON

That's my problem it's NOT hwy it's all city only. For city driving it's BAD! Toyota stats you should
get up to 28 city driving! NEVER got close to that at all for city..

All car company's should have REAL world numbers so we the people can buy the right car.

I would love to by a car and get what it stats and more but I'm dreaming.

That's my problem it's NOT hwy it's all city only. For city driving it's BAD! Toyota stats you should
get up to 28 city driving! NEVER got close to that at all for city..

All car company's should have REAL world numbers so we the people can buy the right car.

I would love to by a car and get what it stats and more but I'm dreaming.
Do you sit in traffic stopped alot. We do almost all city(small town) driving and even with winter morning warmups, we were getting 23-24 mpg. It's closer to 30 now that the weather is better.

I've been getting a fairly constant 30 to 31 MPG in town driving which includes mostly stop and go traffic and a considerable amount of short trips to the bank and store, etc. with maybe a quarter of that on the freeways at 60 MPH.

On a recent trip from Texas to California 40 MPG was a consistent check. This was cruising on the Interstate Highways at a constant 65 MPH using the Cruise Control.

The only problem I have is that the "MPG Computer Readout" is always a MPG reading about a mile higher than the actual result I get from the old "Trip Odometer reading from the last fill-up divided by the number of gallons on the fill up". For example, on the last fill-up the MPG reading was 32.4 MPG and the results of the odometer/gallons was 31.1 MPG. Does the computer compute the average of the last few MPG's rather than the overall MPG from start to finish ?

I always reset the trip odometer and the MPG reading to zero when filling up.

When I bought the car (Last May) the first checks were just under 30 MPG but lately they have been in the just over 31 MPG as noted above. Seems to improve the longer I drive the car.

I have seen some complaints about poor acceleration. The "Zero to 60" figures may not be all that impressive but I haven't had any problems in keeping with the traffic flow. But maybe I am a little lighter on the pedal in acceleration than some. The CVT seems to be the smoothest I have ever experienced in acceleration. It may be slower but it certainly is smoother.. The RPM rarely gets above 1800 RPM.

The RPM rarely gets above 1800 RPM.
Like yours my car almost never gets over 2,000 RPMs.

I think high RPM are what is causing the first poster's issue.

I'll bet if he drove a week or two keeping his RPMs below 2,000 RPMs his MPG would improve and remember his car has less than 6,000 miles, so it will likely get better.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Xeon, Fix your driving first. See how you launch at a green light and see if you can launch smoother and not as aggressive. See if you are pressing the gas a lot and try and let go at points you don't have to press the gas. After all, it's 10% car and 90% driver. If you sell the car, then fine, you're just going to give someone a nice, new Corolla for a cheaper price and they will enjoy it.

XEON

I just found out it was the gas i was using I was using cheap gas no name brand. trying to save money. (nyc regular gas $3.25 gl) cash price and up!

Now using name brand gas I went to fill up today, guess what it went up to 24-23 wow. (regular gas 3.59 gl.) cash price and up!

Live and learn! This car is a picky with it's gas.

Now to find which name brand gas works the best for this car.

I use Shell gas exclusively in my Civic and get over the factory rated mileage for my car, and that's with my heavy foot driving it. In our Corolla, I mostly use Speedway gas just because it's closer than the Shell station. I never search out the cheapest gas, I learned that lesson a long time ago.