Differential Fluid Leak

I have differential fluid leak on my 1998 Toyota corolla.I have never tried to fix this so what would be the best way to go about fixing it?The guy who changed my oil little to no information about it.so there more I can learn the better :)

If you have a full set of tools, you can do it with a service manual or a Chilton's (and it may help to have a knowledgeable friend with you).

If it is leaking from the half-shaft seals, the fix is relatively easy, but you'll need to pull the spindle off the car to pull out the half-shaft.

If it is leaking from a mating gasket, it is going to require removal to repair correctly, and it is a very involved job that involves tearing apart the suspension and removing the entire transaxle from the car.

You're not AWD are you? (I'm giving information based on this being a FWD with a transaxle)

If it really is a differential fluid leak. The person who changed this fellows oil didn't sound very helpful at all, which could also mean not very knowledgeable either, i.e. incorrect about the fluid leak.

Last edited:
That's another thing, he could be trying to bone you out of money. If you don't know what to look for, best getting a second opinion. You won't confuse gear oil with engine oil, so it will be easy to tell.