Do I Really NEED This Part?

I just got done replacing the valve cover gasket on my yota, and the rubber grommet that goes between the coil on plug and engine fell behidn the engine...and I couldn't find it.....at all!

Thing was, it was getting dark and I needed to wrap it up. Everythign is back on the car except that rubber grommet for Coil #4

Should I be ok???

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Congratulations on the valve cover gasket job! :thumbsup: That will help reduce the need for adding oil of course.

If the grommet was installed by Toyota, then it needs to be there. A replacement from your local Toyota dealer shouldn't cost much at all.

For the timing chain, I'm not sure. You can try Google.

You need that part. Keeps water from penetrating the threads of the spark plug, which can cause the spark plug core to rust in the aluminum head. Next plug change, I guarantee without that grommet, you'll trash the threads in the head and have to heli-coil it, and that is only good until the next replacement before you ultimately have to replace the entire head.

For timing chain slop. Rule of thumb is 1/4" maximum deflection at the longest straight run in the chain, but of course, it varies.

With chains though, if you have slop, it is more likely a sign of a worn tensioner versus a worn chain.

I guess I will take a ride to the dealer...omethign tells me that it doesn't come separate and that I have to buy the whole coil

Where can I find this tensioner? and how easy is it to replace?

IFMJohn

I guess I will take a ride to the dealer...omethign tells me that it doesn't come separate and that I have to buy the whole coil
You can get just the grommets.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

that is true, althoug I am already tight for money.

I will take a drive to the dealer and see

Do ya'l think an autozone liek store might carry them?

that is true, althoug I am already tight for money.

I will take a drive to the dealer and see

Do ya'l think an autozone liek store might carry them?
Coming from someone who used to work for oreillys, I never was unable to get those grommets within a day.

Independent AMSOIL Dealer, Contact me to get the world's best oil for prices lower than brands like Mobil1 and Royal Purple!

GoldMedalSyntheticOils.com

Where can I find this tensioner? and how easy is it to replace?
Tensioner won't be too bad to replace if you know what you are doing, but if the chain holds tension, leave it be (I believe on your engine, it is located at the back of the engine block on the timing chain cover).

In this Obama-nation economy, there are millions of people who are very hard up. Over 15 million unemployed. 93 million people no longer even work. That's almost 1/3 the entire population of the United States. Millions are homeless and hungry. It's really, "time for a change". Don't forget this on Nov. 4, election day.

You need that part. Keeps water from penetrating the threads of the spark plug, which can cause the spark plug core to rust in the aluminum head. Next plug change, I guarantee without that grommet, you'll trash the threads in the head and have to heli-coil it, and that is only good until the next replacement before you ultimately have to replace the entire head.
Great advice. Well done Donabed! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I was able to go to a friendly parts guy at the dealer, gave me a couple, not sure if it will fit, but ill try.

I def feel 1/4'' of slack, i was pushing it down when i was changing the valve gasket (which by the way was hard like plastic!)

Not defending Obama, but it's just not him. It's only natural for people to find a person to blame for anything.

It's this administration (congress, etc), AND THE PAST ADMINISTRATION (BUSH) THAT LED US TO THIS

In this Obama-nation economy, there are millions of people who are very hard up. Over 15 million unemployed. 93 million people no longer even work. That's almost 1/3 the entire population of the United States. Millions are homeless and hungry. It's really, "time for a change". Don't forget this on Nov. 4, election day.

Yeah, I was able to go to a friendly parts guy at the dealer, gave me a couple, not sure if it will fit, but ill try.

I def feel 1/4'' of slack, i was pushing it down when i was changing the valve gasket (which by the way was hard like plastic!)
A valve cover gasket that has become that hard is because of hot engine temperatures. Gotta love those old technology petroleum oils. :laughing::thumbdown: High technology AMSOIL synthetic motor oils help reduce engine temperatures. You're engine is loving you now! :thumbsup::)

I hope it does love me now, because I am hearing more valvetrain noise. I don't think the 5w30 is thick enough for the motor, it is approaching 164000 now (miles)

You are probably hearing more valve train noise because the AMSOIL synthetic motor oil helps an engine to run quieter, so the valve train noise is no longer being masked/drowned out by other engine noises. This is very common. But you do have the 10W-40 on hand anyway. :thumbsup:

well thats the thing, its not running quieter, just the opposite, ha ha

Yes next oil change, already coming to 4k miles ill just change to 10 w 40 and see what happens

I know what you're saying, but Amsoil is great, I agree, but it's not going to fix everything.

I have it in my car now and I am glad, but it's not going to make things smoother.

There have been cars that ran on conventional oil for and hundreds of thousands of miles and never had any problems with it, so I can't and won't discredit conventional by any means. There are cars nowadays that just can't run on conventional.

It's ashame Toyota messed up their piston designs, so when there are critical issues in terms of whether or not we can afford to rebuild/put in a new engine, it's more economical for people to put in items like Lucas to help the engine run better

AMSOIL can't repair mechanical wear. Never has and never will.

What I'm saying is that all those miles on an old technology petroleum lubricant allowed wear and tear to occur that AMSOIL synthetic motor oil could have prevented.

Exactly my point, it won't.

That is probably true for this case, conventional oil has been run in cars for many, many years. And these cars have had 200, 300, even 500k miles with no problems, so conventional oil is certainly not bad (perhaps its not the case on the newer cars)

Petroleum oils are not bad at all. They are perfectly fine. Petroleum oils have been around for many, many decades. Technology has evolved and since 1972 when AMSOIL pioneered the synthetic oil industry for cars and trucks with the worlds first 100% synthetic API qualified motor oil, now we have a better choice that provides for cooler engine temperatures, an internally cleaner engine, fuel economy improvements, lower emissions, easier cold winter engine starts, reduced wear, reduced maintenance costs and other benefits as well. There are many other factors to consider beyond just engine life.

Here is a link to the best article I've ever read on synthetic oils vs. petroleum oils. This is a fantastic read. Enjoy. :)

Synthetic Oil: Rx for Long Engine Life - by Curt Scott

http://getahelmet.com/jeeps/tech/syntheticoil/