Engine Belt Problem

Hello to all!

I own toyota corolla 2002, 2.0 D4D, 90 hp. The car is manufactured in UK. I bought the car with 94 k km and on 99 k I changed the belt together whit water pump and all other elements that are normally changed including oil and filters.
Now, the odometer shows 105 k. Today I have opened the hub in order to check the oil level when I spotted a tiny "fracture" on the belt that is more similar to the cut. The belt is replaced three months ago and it's new. I have a warranty for 70 k km.

Please have a look at the attached picture. I have called a mechanic in the service that changed the belt and he told me there is nothing to worry about since this cut isn't deep and it isn't on the ends of the belt (perpendicular). He told me there is no real danger to break and that is serpentine belt so there is no real catastrophic danger.

But still I worry, what would you do in my place?
Should I insist to replace (this time only belt) or to leave it that way? This is my first car and I have no experience, but I know that if the belt breaks than it can be catastrophic for the engine.

Can you give me some advice?

Thank you

Attachments

Last edited:
I have made a search and found out that this is called V belt and it is shown in the pic for my engine.
What could be possible consequences if this belt breaks?

Attachments

That is a serpentine belt from the looks of it. Find another mechanic and have him replace it, then give your old mechanic the bill. That mark came because he started the car with the belt not sitting in the pulleys properly. That's how that cut got there.

Thanks for the reply. The question is should I make this my nr. one priority or this can wait a bit. Length of this cut is about 5 mm, and it's only on the surface i.e. not deep. I plan to have a longer trip and not sure should I postpone this change or do it immediately.

It is lengthwise so it shouldn't end in a catastrophic failure. The rubber being new is your friend here. It's not something I would keep for months though.

Either the belt is defective or the person who installed it did so incorrectly, damaging the belt.

If you wait until later to get this matter resolved, then the person who installed the belt could claim that the crack wasn't there before and it must have happened when you went on your trip.

The crack/tear/cut in the belt is not good. I recommend addressing it now.

I doubt the belt will fail soon, but the point I am worried about for you is protecting your rights to have the belt replaced at no charge. New belts don't come with cuts in them of course.

Thank you for your advices Scott. I'll see whether mechanic will try to charge me or not.

In the meantime I see that this belt is driving "cooler compressor". Is it only for A/C or it is for cooling the engine?

I wonder what would happened if this belt breaks? Will motor overheat or jist A/C wouldn't work.

Thank you

Looks like you'd lose your air conditioner and power steering. So if it breaks, the car will be difficult to steer.
Hello Donabed,

can yu please tell me how did you figure out that I'd lose power steering. According to the attached picture on this belt is only cooler compressor. IP = idler pulley and TP = tensioner pulley, so now power steering in mentioned.

I'm curious, because I found this pic on http://www.toyodiy.com and entering my VIN number.

According to this water pump is in driven by main or timing belt, so I guess that power steering is also.

Thank you!

tomf

hey, I know this is a very old thread but wondering if any of you could give me some water pump advice, I think its the water pump still trying to diagnose it.

I've got this squealing sound coming from the engine area, the sound can come and go. it doesn't happen all the time but there are patches when its worse.
It tends to happen when I'm driving straight or holding the steering wheel in the same position like going around a long bend.
If I press the brakes or sharply turn the steering wheel it tends to stop the sound but once I release the brakes or straighten the steering wheel the sound will continue.