Engine Swap

I have a 99 corolla ve. I am having oil problems and was talking to a buddy from work. He said I would pretty much need a new engine so I was just doing some experimenting research and came across this. TOYOTA ARISTO SUPRA TWIN TURBO VVTI ENGINE TRANSMISSION & WIRING JDM 2JZGTE 2JZ. Would it be at all possible to put this in my car?

Attachments

justintimelife - Welcome to the Corolla Forum! :thumbsup: :) :thumbup::thumbup1:

What is the oil problem that is necessitating having the engine replaced?

Let's see if we can first avoid replacing the engine.

Is the engine running okay?

In that two week time frame, how many miles are we talking about? 25 or 2,500?

What brand/type and viscosity of oil is being used?

If there's no blue smoke coming out the tailpipe, the oil isn't being burned, so it has to be leaking somewhere. There doesn't have to be oil on the ground for there to be an oil leak.

Also, no, a high performance, twin-turbocharged engine in rear wheel drive configuration will not work in a Corolla. You are kidding, right? :laughing: :D

Hey sorry I didn't get back sooner. The oil I use is 10w 40. And I'll use mobile bc I pick it up quickly from the gas station. And miles I drive ab 400 to 500 a week. And the engine is running great. The check engine light just came on two days ago and at times win I have the window down sitting at a light I can smell some burnning.

Sure sounds like an oil leak. Get it diagnosed before it catches fire.

A 1999 Toyota Corolla is supposed to be using 5W-30. 10W-40 is too thick and can cause increased engine wear, reduced fuel economy, increased emissions and increased engine temperatures.

Last edited:
I have the same problem. The old ones were RWD btw. Anyways, i lose about a quart of oil every 3K due to age and design of this generation engine. These engines will last long time, perhaps to a max of 225K. But of 98-02 Corolla, cannot be driven rough. That gen. was a joint-venture between GM & Toyota @ California Nummi plant, which was closed a few years ago, and joint-venture ended in 02'. It is known for engine oil burn-off problems in piston rings, comes out tailpipe as white smoke when high reved. I don't like the idea of "getting the leak fixed" because it probably can't be fixed or fixed at low cost, such that it either might not solve the problem or it'll make it worse due to tampering. Autozone mechanic told me its something to do w/ plastic piston ring design.

As far as which oil to use, Pepboys showed me their computer database and it stated 5W-30 for below freezing or 10W-30 for warm weather.

On whether to use: conventional, Semi/High Mileage, or Full-Synthetic oil mechanics tell me either conventional or high mileage should used because the bigger molecules of conventional oil won't leak-out as easily. Semi/High Mileage is at least 30% synthetic btw. Trust me, i know from experience after trying 5W-30 low-grade SAE-ASE Royal Purple, a full synthetic oil, and MaxLife Full-Synthetic. The RP burnt faster of course.

So far I've been using 5W-30 Royal Purple HPS, a high end Full Synthetic, w/ Purolator Synthetic, and K&N air filter, just fine. I plan on switching to 10W-30 High Mileage oil Quaker State w/ Fram High Mileage oil filter changing every 3K even though i think i can go 5K because the Fram HM filter can, and the 04' Corollas can as well.

Last edited:
Funrunner, your oil light going on and off is very bad.

When the oil light is on, it means you have 0 oil pressure. Gonna wind up losing the engine if you don't diagnose what is causing it.

Hey sorry I didn't get back sooner. The oil I use is 10w 40. And I'll use mobile bc I pick it up quickly from the gas station. And miles I drive ab 400 to 500 a week. And the engine is running great. The check engine light just came on two days ago and at times win I have the window down sitting at a light I can smell some burnning.
How many miles are you at? Or was it tampered w/? Already have a new engine?