Excited New Corolla Owner!!!!

Almost five hundred miles on the odometer, S Premium package is awesome inside and out. First time driving with paddle shifters. Makes an auto so much fun to drive. Only option I wanted but did not get is auto lights. Got a good deal I think.

Last edited:
My wife hit a deer! That's the reason we got the new car. I hit a deer with our last corolla! Not enough hunters controlling the deer herd I guess. Probably about four grand of damage.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. :(

From what I've seen, it's usually the deer panicking and running right into the car, so go easy on your lady. :)

I hope you had collision insurance on it so you can get it fixed?

Got mine 10 days ago. Have just over 300 miles. Loving it so far. Upgraded from my 07 Yaris to a 14 S Plus. Glad I found this site. Hope to get alot of info here :D

How much are you paying on insurance for this car? I know someone who complains that they are paying too $100, what's your case?

Already broke down! After owning the brand new car for two months! If Toyota can't build a car that lasts longer than two months this world is doomed!!!!

I doubt it. The bumper is missing a little piece on the side. Thats two thousand and is getting fixed tomorrow. The break down is the radio! Yes, thats a break down! If I paid all this money for technology that should have been used ten years ago, I want everything to work the way it should. At least Toyota has a great warranty.

Last edited:
I don't think so. But I'm not a mechanic. All the grounds are exposed where the bumper broke on the left side. We have a new corolla le as a rental. There's a snow storm coming so at least the car is inside, hopefully getting repaired:).

I've had my S for about a month now. My average is around 24/25mpg and that's 80% city. I'm assuming all you guys in the 30's are all highway?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

This car is running great, better than new with almost four thousand miles. Had another deer run out in front of us but was going slow enough to avoid another accident. Just have to watch out for them crossing.

My 2014 Corolla LE is a giant step from the 1996 Saturn SL 2, I used to have and got them to bump up the trade of the old car from 500 to 1000 which is close to Kelly Blue book.

But with the bad weather I have been visiting Flagship Car Wash in North Bethesda as much as filling the gas tank.

Paying about $300 every 6 months for full insurance coverage with USAA which is up from the 240 on my policy with the old Saturn I owned when I traded it in, still not a bad price.

Last edited:
I just got my '14 S Premium last week! Loving it! Sorry about the deer and the damage! We've had that happen to three vehicles.

I would love to have advice/insight on using the paddle shifters. I've driven many standards, but never have used paddle shifters/w/auto.

I just got my '14 S Premium last week! Loving it! Sorry about the deer and the damage! We've had that happen to three vehicles.

I would love to have advice/insight on using the paddle shifters. I've driven many standards, but never have used paddle shifters/w/auto.
When you use manual mode the rpms are held higher. If you do not shift when you have to, it shifts itself for you. When driving in D mode and if you press the left paddle shifter it goes down to D3 and lower I assume.

Not enough hunters controlling the deer herd I guess.
Exactly! Which is why the anti-hunting nut jobs are....well, crazy.

Congrats on the new car. Hope your wife is ok. My wife hit a deer a few years ago in a full-sized Chevy Silverado. It almost totaled the truck.

When you use manual mode the rpms are held higher. If you do not shift when you have to, it shifts itself for you. When driving in D mode and if you press the left paddle shifter it goes down to D3 and lower I assume.
Thanks!

So...you can use the paddle straight from D mode...in other words, you don't have to move into M mode first...the car does it for you?

I don't think my salesman knew how to use them...I didn't get a good explanation during the test drive, so I didn't touch them at that time. Trying to get it figured out now! (Read the manual...not too clear there...)

Thanks!

So...you can use the paddle straight from D mode...in other words, you don't have to move into M mode first...the car does it for you?

I don't think my salesman knew how to use them...I didn't get a good explanation during the test drive, so I didn't touch them at that time. Trying to get it figured out now! (Read the manual...not too clear there...)
Well if you are in regular drive mode and you use the paddle shifter to UP shift nothing will happen. If you downshift you will go into D3 and I assume D2 and then D1(haven't tried anything lower). IF you move the shifter to the left will in regular drive you will go into manual mode. You can either use the paddle shifters OR the stick shifter to shift through the gears. It goes all the way up to 7. Try it with Sport mode activated and Traction control turned off...its fun...

From what I've seen, it's usually the deer panicking and running right into the car, so go easy on your lady. :)

I hope you had collision insurance on it so you can get it fixed?
Comprehensive insurance if it was a deer or something in the road or other item that wasn't your fault.

Collision if you run into someone else's car.

Well if you are in regular drive mode and you use the paddle shifter to UP shift nothing will happen. If you downshift you will go into D3 and I assume D2 and then D1(haven't tried anything lower). IF you move the shifter to the left will in regular drive you will go into manual mode. You can either use the paddle shifters OR the stick shifter to shift through the gears. It goes all the way up to 7. Try it with Sport mode activated and Traction control turned off...its fun...
Great; thanks! Will try that on my way home in just a few!

I moved from a mid-size 2000 Mercury Sable LS Premium to the compact-size Corolla (2014 LE Plus) Have had it about 2 1/2 months and nearing the 1,000 mile mark. Actually, although the Corolla is a compact, there is actually more room inside than the Sable , especially front and rear legroom. The interior is also more upscale and the seats are more comfortable than the leather seating in the Sable. There seems to be a lot more attention to details. Especially in the seats and trim-cloth upholstery and trim much nicer than the hard plastic. The instrument panel is the best looking part of the interior IMHO. Usable luggage space seems about the same. All in, seems like I didn't downgrade but actually upgraded and so far getting 28-30 MPG all in town with only about 25% freeway driving, rest is stop and go and a lot of waiting at red lights. That is about 10 MPG better than the Sable. Only downsize is the ride is a bit firm, but the car is also much quieter around town than the Sable. Someone has said "The Corolla is the Lexus of Compacts ". I think they are spot on and not too far off the mark.

Update: We are planning a trip to California August 26-September 6. I am hoping to do an update on "3000 Mile Road Test."If the Corolla is anything like it is in city driving, I will be highly impresed even more.

Last edited: