Front speakers not working

Hi everyone,

New owner just picked up a 2014 S. Once I took possession I realized the front speakers aren't working but the front tweeters are fine.

It strikes me as odd that both front speakers wouldn't work at all.

Anything I should check? I would really appreciate any help.

The signal from the head unit goes to the tweeters first and then to the other speakers. I would start there.
You can just pull the plastic tweeter housing straight out. There is a four pin connector that’s plugged into the tweeter. I don’t know what to tell you to look for other than that. If you have a multi meter, you could check to see if the voltage is passing through.
It’s gonna be a little harder to troubleshoot this since you probably don’t know what’s been done to the car before you purchased it.
But I’ll help you out the best that I can.

The door panels can be easily removed. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to do this.
Just remember there are two screws behind the long plastic door pull and one screw behind the latch handle.
If you get this far, first look at how the speakers are mounted. If there are still rivets holding the speakers in, then it’s probably never been changed out.
Again, lots of YouTube videos out there.

Last edited:
There is a flaw when these were produced. Water comes in the door panel and drips down to the speaker connector. I almost opened a task case on mine. But then I found out my co workers have had issues with the same problem. But since your car isn’t under warranty anymore you can probably rewire the speakers.

Thanks for the replies. So if it is the issue with water leakage in the door panel, the speakers have to be re-wired? I would have thought in that case the speaker gets replaced.

Thanks for the replies. So if it is the issue with water leakage in the door panel, the speakers have to be re-wired? I would have thought in that case the speaker gets replaced.
On mine since it was still warranty, I put in the whole door harness and speaker. But the speaker wasn’t bad, there was just corrosion in the connector. It could have been cleaned out, but I just didn’t want future problems.

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate your help.

Corrosion would have been what I was guessing with a water issue so I was confused why the wiring would need to be replaced. I wonder if cleaning the connections and applying dielectric grease could help prevent future problems.

Hi everyone,

New owner just picked up a 2014 S. Once I took possession I realized the front speakers aren't working but the front tweeters are fine.

Just bring it to a dealer they will fix it and install a updated water barrier

I brought it to the dealer. The car has the ECP (I think that is what it was called) warranty, and I was told that speakers are not covered, wiring is not covered, but the rivets that secure the speaker are covered.

They told me they would not cover the fix other than the rivets and if I wanted them to fix it, it would be $1780+tax CDN. Very disappointed in Toyota. What a joke.

Guys, I've found a related post dealing with same behavior some of you are experiencing. Issue seems to be with static caused by speaker wiring in the trunk. I'm not saying this is the answer to everyone's problem but from the sounds of it, Toyota did a crappy job wiring the speakers on this car all together from the sounds of it. Please check this post below but just moving the wires off the metal speaker mount got the radio working again for many:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t35351_ds517869

Guys, I've found a related post dealing with same behavior some of you are experiencing. Issue seems to be with static caused by speaker wiring in the trunk. I'm not saying this is the answer to everyone's problem but from the sounds of it, Toyota did a crappy job wiring the speakers on this car all together from the sounds of it. Please check this post below but just moving the wires off the metal speaker mount got the radio working again for many:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t35351_ds517869
Thanks, Kleb, you always give great info for us!

I have taken my 2014 Corolla in 3 times. After the 3rd time it was fine for a few months but now the left side isn't working AGAIN. I'm so frustrated that even Toyota dealership can't figure it out and I have wasted so much time taking it back. I would think there would be some kind of recall with all the issues people have.

I have taken my 2014 Corolla in 3 times. After the 3rd time it was fine for a few months but now the left side isn't working AGAIN. I'm so frustrated that even Toyota dealership can't figure it out and I have wasted so much time taking it back. I would think there would be some kind of recall with all the issues people have.
Not many people are having this issue. My dealer has had about 3 corollas including mine that had one or both front speakers not working. There is nothing on our Toyota site about the issue. So unless they know of other customers having the problem, they won’t know.

My wife has a 2014 Corolla and we just got the report back that the same issue described here happened to her. The RTV sealant on the plastic covering about the speaker failed, allowed water in and corroded the connector and ruined the speaker. The 3rd party warranty we bought won't cover ANY water damage. The service manager had me call Toyota Customer Care @ 800-331-4331 and open a case with them. He suggests that everyone having or who's had this issue also open a case. The more open cases, the better chance a service bulletin or recall will be produced. I'll know in a couple days if Toyota will do anything. The dealer wants $450.00 to fix it. If Toyota won't fix it, I'll just get the PowerBass replacements from Crutchfield and repair the connection myself. Under $100.00. $89.99 for a pair and free shipping.

My wife has a 2014 Corolla and we just got the report back that the same issue described here happened to her. The RTV sealant on the plastic covering about the speaker failed, allowed water in and corroded the connector and ruined the speaker. The 3rd party warranty we bought won't cover ANY water damage. The service manager had me call Toyota Customer Care @ 800-331-4331 and open a case with them. He suggests that everyone having or who's had this issue also open a case. The more open cases, the better chance a service bulletin or recall will be produced. I'll know in a couple days if Toyota will do anything. The dealer wants $450.00 to fix it. If Toyota won't fix it, I'll just get the PowerBass replacements from Crutchfield and repair the connection myself. Under $100.00. $89.99 for a pair and free shipping.
Ok so it’s not a hard repair. Take the door panel off and cut the connector for the speaker and crimp a female connector on each and plug in. The duct tape the plastic down.

No, only coroded wires to the point they where cut strait at the conectors both sides, wiring seem to be aluminium or a cheaper materiel, the conectors legs are coper, i guest im not the only one whit this issue, toyota whent cheap on sound system, hope its the only place they whent cheap!

What exactly did you replace? I’m having the same issue with the front left speaker. I’ve noticed that with the door open and jiggling the rubber wire casing everything works fine but then cuts out when the door is shut. So how could I easily replace this wire?

You need to replace the conector at the end of the wire in the door, this is the white part that is halfway out on the picture i took , in my case i manage to reconect those wire using the same conectors that i took apart and reuse the litle femal coper parts. Try a search on ebay for corolla 2014 speaker conectors, you should get these for cheap,

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I was told by my dealer to call Toyota and complain. They claim if enough complaints are made they may recall these cars to fix the problem

I did ask the dealer, they told me when i bought the car last december to change the front speaker....... they probably knew about the problem but did not care, anyway i will file a complaint in the mean time i fixed my problem so i can use the hand free,! But you are wright we should file official complaint

Here we go,
Today I finally got to work on my 2014 Toyota Corolla . I have the same problem as all of you guys . The front speakers are dead . I opened the door panels which is fairly easy and found both speakers connectors to be very corroded to the point of wires being severed off the connector . The connectors had to be replaced with the OEM part number ( you can find online) 90980-10935. Also along with the connectors I had to buy the pig tail wires, part number 82998-12340 ( 4 pcs) . All together about 80 $ Canadian. The problem is that the passenger side speaker is blown. A working speaker should measure 3.8 ohms across the 2 leads. The splice has to be done with butt connectors as the oem wire is not solderable . Also you should cut far enough to get rid of the corrosion . If need it I can post some pictures but I think my explanation is sufficient .

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Both of my front speakers went a year ago. They are basically made of paper, very cheap. I replaced both speakers, the only thing I had to do was purchase 2 plastic adapters which allow the speakers magnets on the rear not interfere with the window going up or down. It allows the speakers not to sit so deep in the door panel.

Here we go,
Today I finally got to work on my 2014 Toyota Corolla . I have the same problem as all of you guys . The front speakers are dead . I opened the door panels which is fairly easy and found both speakers connectors to be very corroded to the point of wires being severed off the connector . The connectors had to be replaced with the OEM part number ( you can find online) 90980-10935. Also along with the connectors I had to buy the pig tail wires, part number 82998-12340 ( 4 pcs) . All together about 80 $ Canadian. The problem is that the passenger side speaker is blown. A working speaker should measure 3.8 ohms across the 2 leads. The splice has to be done with butt connectors as the oem wire is not solderable . Also you should cut far enough to get rid of the corrosion . If need it I can post some pictures but I think my explanation is sufficient .

Update :
The speaker came in and it was fairly easy to replace it . I needed to drill out the old rivets and a rivet gun is also needed for the new speaker . 20 minutes later everything it’s working .

2014 Corolla---Same problem with first the left, then the right front door speakers failing. Took the door panels off,and both speaker wires and connector were majorly corroded. Cut back the wires about 4 inches (past the corrosion) and rewired to the speakers, both of which work beautifully now. Speaker connectors were corroded past being usable. This may be a problem for many Corollas from 2013 on...

I did a speaker upgrade over the weekend. Had part harness's to plug into the factory wiring but when I went to unplug my driver's side speaker the wires broke right out of the plug. So much for trying not to hack and splice the factory wiring.

I can see how people would be annoyed with that problem though. It wasn't the end of the world in my case.

I would have happily paid the extra 60 cents on the sticker price for them to have used copper wire. Why they used aluminum for speaker wire in this millennium is just beyond me

I did a speaker upgrade over the weekend. Had part harness's to plug into the factory wiring but when I went to unplug my driver's side speaker the wires broke right out of the plug. So much for trying not to hack and splice the factory wiring.

I can see how people would be annoyed with that problem though. It wasn't the end of the world in my case.

I would have happily paid the extra 60 cents on the sticker price for them to have used copper wire. Why they used aluminum for speaker wire in this millennium is just beyond me
The problem isn’t with the wire, but the sealant around the plastic.

The problem isn’t with the wire, but the sealant around the plastic.
If Toyota had used about 7 inches more wire, they could have run the wiring into the speaker at about the 4 o'clock spot by rotating the speaker 1/3 before riveting, and water would NOT have run into and collected in the connector, corroding it and the wiring. As it is the wiring runs straight down into the speaker connector! No design engineer should have approved this.

If Toyota had used about 7 inches more wire, they could have run the wiring into the speaker at about the 4 o'clock spot by rotating the speaker 1/3 before riveting, and water would NOT have run into and collected in the connector, corroding it and the wiring. As it is the wiring runs straight down into the speaker connector! No design engineer should have approved this.
that would have been an even better idea, but it's still aluminum wire.

omg, I had this problem on my front speaker on my '15 and I had to cut the wire back almost 6 inches, it was heavily corroded. Since I had to work on it, i went ahead and replaced all the speakers, front and back with a new jl audio unit set of speakers and i'll do the head unit later. Now my speakers sound great and not made of paper. Just in case, I forgot to check this forums, i kept taking another car AV forums but they never heard of this issue, i thought this would correlate with people going to get their speakers upgraded or checked but nope. I did all the upgrades myself, with instructions from crutchfield, I even called their tech support and they stayed on the phone and helped out while I connected the cables because I had to cut the toyota wiring due to the corrosion. They were extremely helpful and patient, highly recommended. This sucks, I only had the car 1 year before this happened. Anything else anyone knows I have to watch for? I heard the paint sucks too, which I assumed buying the car, but crap, I see chips everywhere. geez, anyway, yea these speakers and wiring are CRAP. lol.

omg, I had this problem on my front speaker on my '15 and I had to cut the wire back almost 6 inches, it was heavily corroded. Since I had to work on it, i went ahead and replaced all the speakers, front and back with a new jl audio unit set of speakers and i'll do the head unit later. Now my speakers sound great and not made of paper. Just in case, I forgot to check this forums, i kept taking another car AV forums but they never heard of this issue, i thought this would correlate with people going to get their speakers upgraded or checked but nope. I did all the upgrades myself, with instructions from crutchfield, I even called their tech support and they stayed on the phone and helped out while I connected the cables because I had to cut the toyota wiring due to the corrosion. They were extremely helpful and patient, highly recommended. This sucks, I only had the car 1 year before this happened. Anything else anyone knows I have to watch for? I heard the paint sucks too, which I assumed buying the car, but crap, I see chips everywhere. geez, anyway, yea these speakers and wiring are CRAP. lol.
Yeah, separate issue but using white primer on thin black paint coat means every little scratch shows up white!