GRINDING SOUND FROM UNDER COROLLA

so on start-up i have noticed a grinding noise and also i have noticed a grinding noise when switching from park to neutral than to drive......someone please let me know if there car makes the same noise....as i put my car into drive i here a grinding noise.....i tried this in my brothers civic and switching to drive is as quiet as can be...it doesn't sound right and if anyone else can do this simple test and let me know id love some feedback!

so on start-up i have noticed a grinding noise and also i have noticed a grinding noise when switching from park to neutral than to drive......someone please let me know if there car makes the same noise....as i put my car into drive i here a grinding noise.....i tried this in my brothers civic and switching to drive is as quiet as can be...it doesn't sound right and if anyone else can do this simple test and let me know id love some feedback!
After all those months you still haven't got it to the mechanic ?http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/grinding-noise-on-startup.4698/#post-26662
http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/grinding-noise-on-startup.4698/#post-26662

i have got it to a mechanic already but they shook it off, since than i have been recording every start up meticulously....im going to use it just incase they give me the same bullshit and i need the make a claim....i made my appointment tomorrow, and i noticed this new noise recently as well

When i shift my car from Nuetral to Drive it also makes that grinding sound and i also have a grinding sound everytime i start my car, and it goes away right after it starts.

When i shift my car from Nuetral to Drive it also makes that grinding sound and i also have a grinding sound everytime i start my car, and it goes away right after it starts.

i went to dealership, guy told me it is something to do with the transmission, the fluid needs to fill a cavity with trans fluid on startup and sometimes it doesn't fill the cavity completely so thus you hear the grinding noise and he said that happens because the trans fluid is getting thin, they said they change it every 10k miles but my car is at 16k right now...so that doesn't make sense if the fluid is suppose to be good for atleast 10k its making a noise only after 6k of its last oil change....he said its normal but i call bullshit... My dads civic had LITERALLY the same problem and they recalled it and replaced his whole trans...but the guy insists its normal and a Toyota Tech even came out and it explained it....but my car is under warranty for 7 years 100k miles, so if its a serious problem I'm sure it will surface later and they will be forced to fix it....its just stupid because its so damn loud and I've never heard a car make that noise and they call it "normal"

Changing the CVT fluid every 10K ? Nah... We've heard anything from 60K (what the manual says about AT) to 100K or never.
Even the fragile CVTs from Nissan or Audi don't go below 30K for CVT fluid change.
And you say it's been only 6K since last change, so they already changed it once at 10K ?
If so, maybe it's the culprit : did they use the proper quantity and type of CVT fluid (if not it's big trouble ahead) ?

Actually, reading your report, do they even know what they do or say ?
How can they say both "Its normal" and "fluid is getting thin, not filling some cavity" ?
You reported the problem on the forum 4 months ago, after maintenance.
How could they have told you it was normal but go for a CVT fluid change ?
You didn't mention it then, but should you have it would have raised a very big red flag !

Last edited:
Changing the CVT fluid every 10K ? Nah... We've heard anything from 60K (what the manual says about AT) to 100K or never.
Even the fragile CVTs from Nissan or Audi don't go below 30K for CVT fluid change.
And you say it's been only 6K since last change, so they already changed it once at 10K ?
If so, maybe it's the culprit : did they use the proper quantity and type of CVT fluid (if not it's big trouble ahead) ?

Actually, reading your report, do they even know what they do or say ?
How can they say both "Its normal" and "fluid is getting thin, not filling some cavity" ?
You reported the problem on the forum 4 months ago, after maintenance.
How could they have told you it was normal but go for a CVT fluid change ?
You didn't mention it then, but should you have it would have raised a very big red flag !

that makes sense i forgot the exact details he told me, maybe he said changing the oil, none the less he talked about some fluid they change might be bad but did not offer at all to change it....it is all very suspicious but like i said i have my warranty for a long time so we ill let time bring out the faults i suppose

Motor oil at 10K makes a lot more sense ! Check your receipt... it should list what they have done (a CVT fluid change cost many times more than a motor oil change).
Regarding your warranty (insurance, really) if they apply it the way they do maintenance, I'd be very careful about that and small characters.
Keep all your receipts and ask for a written report every time you consult them, especially if they tell you it's "normal".