How Does One Check Trans. Fluid?

Should the car be running and in gear? Should the car be off and hot? I just changed the fluid in my 02 corolla and was curious how it is checked.

Went to the parts store and they said I need 3.2 quarts of Castrol Transmax Auto Trans fluid. Bought 3 quarts. Drained from the drain plug and I got about 1.5 quarts out. So I put about 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 quarts. When I check the fluid it seems high. I did it with the engine off and with the car running, in drive and warm. Both seem high.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...6814/8140016-P?searchTerm=transmission+fluid#

Last edited:
Start the engine, place the shifter in R, then N, then D, and then back to N, and back to R, and repeat this cycle about 3 times, giving each gear time to engage (about 1.5 seconds or so), then throw it in P and check with the engine running (and make certain you are on level ground).

Check the bottles of ATF to be sure that brand of transmission fluid is rated, "Toyota T-IV", as that's the performance specification that is needed for your car.

Hey Scott, no i didnt. When i bought the car i didnt know when it was changed last so i figured i would start with the fluid. WHen i drained it, it was still red in color and not black. SO from what i can tell it wasent changed long ago. Car shifts good and no trans issue so i figured i would leave it for now.

pontiac69 - I strongly encourage you to change the transmission filter as soon as possible, or you could be looking at a $2,000 + transmission rebuild, sooner or later.

This short Technical Services Bulletin below at my website from the Filter Manufacturers Council refers to this very issue. A $25 transmission filter can save a $2,000 + transmission -

Bulletin From Filter Manufacturers Council (16k PDF)

Last edited: