How Many MPG Are You Getting?

I see on the fuelly.com site people are getting 34 to 40 mpg on their 99 corolla and on my 99 corolla I am only getting 26mpg. The car has had a full tune up tire pressure is to spec so am not sure why my mpg is so low. It's a 4 speed automatic with 148k. Are you guys getting about the same or are you in mid to high 30's? Any suggestions on what I can do to improve mpg? Thanks!

As the stickie here for a 1999 Corolla's fuel economy shows, your Corolla has an EPA fuel economy rating of 25 city and 33 highway, with a combined average of 28 mpg -

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Power...la&srchtyp=ymm

So if you're getting 25 mpg combined, that's not too bad at all, especially if you're doing a lot of stop and go driving. 25 mpg is only 1 mpg lower than the EPA city fuel economy rating. Plus, when the EPA completes these fuel economy tests, they are not using winter blend fuels, (as we are now), which reduces the fuel economy about 10% or more.

Many people fill up the gas tank, drive their car until the gas tank is getting close to empty, then fill up the gas tank and dived the miles traveled by the gallons used and they think that is the fuel economy of their car and it really isn't. This method only shows the fuel economy of that tank of gas only. That is not an accurate way to calculate the average fuel economy of the vehicle, as that method throws in all sorts of uncontrolled variables such as stop and go driving, head winds, different terrain's, etc.

The EPA fuel economy ratings are calculated by using a test track with variables controlled so they don't skew the fuel economy test results and accurate fuel economy averages for a given car can be reached.

Is your Corolla having any problems with the way it is running?

Tires can have a huge impact on fuel economy and can be the cause of wide variations from car to car. Some tires are very good on fuel economy and others not so good.

Last edited:
With my 99 5spd, I get 36-37 in the summer and 34-35 in the winter with mixed interstate and city driving. I changed the plugs and wires this summer and it had no effect on the mpgs.